BSG: Fully painted fleet (showing off thread :p)

By DarkStalker, in Battlestar Galactica

Soo now that my missing advanced vipers arrived int he poist I've been able to finish off painting all my BSG ships… anyone else painted theirs up?

60927809.jpg

39963165.jpg

39134247.jpg

Pretty frackin' impressive…

They are impressive and i'm insanely jealous. I now want painted miniatures!!!

Me too. I'd love it if my minis looked like this :)

wow, those look great!

That looks suprisingly similar to my set! haha. Except mine is pretty worn down now! I think when I get DayBreak I will have to get everything redone so I can keep up with you!

I do recommend this to everyone; even just basic painting as it REALLY helps the pieces stand out on the board. You don't lose track of unmanned fighters, its easier to lay out and pick up the set, etc. Two many small grey peices otherwise!

Cheers Mephisto,

Mine have seen a fair bit of use but I went with a double coat of varnish (gloss first then matt on top). The matt dulls metallics so you need to re-highlight those bits again at the end if you need/want them shiny

As for you re-doing everything post-daybreak I'm afraid I'm already ahead of you there too ;p

pic1754663_md.jpg
pic1754664_md.jpg

Wow, they look great, I am so jelous!

That is awesome! I literally last night took a red sharpie to my Mark VII's to differentiate them from the regular Vipers. But now I see this....I guess it's not too late. Great job!

That is awesome! I literally last night took a red sharpie to my Mark VII's to differentiate them from the regular Vipers. But now I see this....I guess it's not too late. Great job!

Yeah, my first painting attempt ever was to apply a light black wash to my Mark VIIs and Assault Raptors to give them a little more contrast. It would be so great to be able to get anywhere near that level of detail as on the Mark IIs or ARs, but as it is, mine just look like regular raptors with black splotches all over them :P

subochre, on 19 Nov 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:

Yeah, my first painting attempt ever was to apply a light black wash to my Mark VIIs and Assault Raptors to give them a little more contrast. It would be so great to be able to get anywhere near that level of detail as on the Mark IIs or ARs, but as it is, mine just look like regular raptors with black splotches all over them :P

One thing I did find is the plastic these things are made from really *isn't* at all friendly to paint wanting to stick to it so I can understand the blotchyness. Having done these all by hand I had pondered how to simplify getting the paint job done if ever I needed to repeat it.

My main thoughts were around using some of these coloured spray undercoats you can get in black, beige and white to get good coverage of the base colour on the ships (make sure you're careful to keep the coats thin and spray from a distance, sticking the ships to a piece of paper with blu-tack so they don't blow away helps too)

Using something like this:

http://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=2

Desert yellow maybe? and a quick black wash on top I reckon would really bring out the detail on raptors.

White + a wash would be OK for vipers, maybe even using a red sharpie for the stripes.

spraying cylon fleet black (I actually did this, worked well) and then drybrushing them and the MK VIIs silver or grey would probably sort them out nicely too.

Fine detailing then becomes optional for those who enjoy painting but at least you'd be able to readily tell the ships apart.

Oh and with game pieces like this that get handeled alot I'd definitely say applying a good coat of varnish (I used a paint on water based matt one) afterwards was essential

PPS, I'd also suggest giving the ships a bit of a scrub with detergent and a toothbrush before painting (rinsing off well afterwards too).

Edited by JasX

Soo now that my missing advanced vipers arrived int he poist I've been able to finish off painting all my BSG ships… anyone else painted theirs up?

Did you use only the ships from the game and the expansions or did you buy separate ships?

I just got the standalone game and the ships that came with it dont look this detailed.

Very cool btw!

Did you use only the ships from the game and the expansions or did you buy separate ships?

I just got the standalone game and the ships that came with it dont look this detailed.

Very cool btw!

No these are all just the ships that come with the game (and official expansions)

There are two things that'll affect the detail you end up with:

1. you absolutely must not apply the paint too thickly, I think I posted elsewhere getting good coverage can be a struggle but the way to cope there is applying 2-3 thin layers rather than 1 thick layer

2. shading and highlighting at the paint stage will really help pick out the detail that's there

shading = mix a darker shade of the paint you use (add a brushtip of black paint to it) then water it down so its quite thin. That way it'll flow into all the cracks and indents and create a shadow effect

highlighting = mix a lighter shade of the paint you use (add some white) but this time add a fraction of the water/thinner you'd use and also wipe most of the paint off the brush before starting (if you flick it across your knuckle it should leave a fairly faint paint mark -like a pen that's almost completely dried up, then when you paint it'll put a lighter mark on the tips of the raised areas.

Between those three things you can make the detail that's there stand out, even when there's not much to work with.

...oh, and the Mk II viper lines I had to paint on free hand -more patience than skill there

Get a small brush and paint a fairly messy red line on, let it dry,

Get a very small white brush and try to tidy up where you went over the lines to get the edge straighter, let it dry

Get a very small red brush and try to tidy up where you went over the lines to get the edge straighter, let it dry

repeat the last two stages until the lines you're left with are vaguely straight enough and passable at a distance :)

After seeing these painted pieces, I'd really like to take a crack at it. However, I have never tried to paint any game piece before and I don't want to ruin the ships. Is there any sort of dummies guide to painting?