Question about The Brig.

By Haen, in Battlestar Galactica

I know there's a bunch of threads on The Brig but I haven't found one that addresses this issue.

I just finished up a 3 player game. I was put in the brig by the un-revealed cylon (who stole the presidency from me) and the other human player couldn't be convinced I wasn't the cylon. I spent an hour and half sitting in the brig while the other two continued playing and humanity slowly dwindled down. The cylon never revealed but prevented me from leaving the brig whenever I had the cards to attempt to leave. Eventually through attrition the galactica was blown up. I understand that's it's meant to be difficult to get out of the brig but it ended up making the remainder of the game zero fun. All I could do was sit there and shoot out executive orders at the human player hoping she'd win.

Was there something I missed? Another way I could have tried to escape or can one players stubborness just keep a player out of the game permanently? Thanks!

Aye I've got stuck in the brig before.. possible ways out would have been getting the remaining human able to look at loyalty cards somehow and check on the cylon

OR I assume having been president you had access to yellow politics cards? you could have cycled thru those fishing for political prowess and used that to instantly escape (needs expansions, plus another player could have been holding it back)

Unless the other human came to his senses or the cylon tripped up i guess you were kinda stuck there until the destiny deck smiled on you or the human came to their senses.. BSG is better with more players for avoiding this kind of thing.

Makes me wonder what the other human was thinking…

If the Cylon never reveals, and keeps helping… who cares if you are in the brig? You get all your cards, you get no crisis, and you XO the human player. The human gets 3 actions for every one Cylon, and from what you say, the Cylon was no doing anything bad enough to out theselves (of the other human would have gotten you out?)

After the second round of you XOing me, I would assume you are human and probably help get you out if the situation arose. It's does sound much worse than being the pilot in a base game with no Cylon Fleet Cards…

And yes… another reason 5 players rock!

Sometimes thats just the way it goes, being stuck in the brig sucks… did you try to convince the other Human player to just execute you? Theres really no reason for a Cylon to ask for that, so you might have been able to establish your loyalty (unless you arent using Pegasus). Mephisto is right, 3 players kinda sucks.

I've had this in a 3 player game with myself, my wife and my sister.

I thought it was fun because I was the Cylon who put my wife in the brig. She was not happy! In the end she did manage to convince my sister that she was human but my sister is easily swayed! **** humans ended up winning!

Not sure if i'm a bad Cylon or they're good humans!

Find two more people. The game is so much better with 5 players.

I don't think you can XO from the brig. You don't get an action when you're in the brig except the skill check to get out.

Edited by WhatTheShep

No, the skill check is only location action you can perform (obviously), and you don't get crisis cards, but you can still take a character, title, or skill card action; in fact, XO and Launch Scout are the two main ways that a falsely imprisoned player can help.

Being stuck in the brig for 2 hours of game play is NOT the most thrilling thing. Since this is a "team win" game, sometimes you will have to take on for the team so you can get the overall win. Arkham Horror can end up the same way, where you ended up supporting the monster-killlers and gate sealers... but no "glory".

You don't get a crisis and if you get and use XO's, in some ways you are MORE powerful in the brig. Save up those high cards for you one into a vote.

The "other" human needs to learn from the game. Did they miss "cylon" things the cylon did? Did they not see how STRONG for the human team it was for you to XO them (compared to just revealing as a Cylon)?

If the cylon player didn't do any "cylon" stuff, at least to an obvious degree, you may well have won the game! It could easily have come out that way. I would have given up on the brig thing, and just XOed and coached the other player to do the most we could to win.

Also, you mentioned stole the presidency... I am assuming you know you DONT lose the president title in the brig? It seemed clear from what you said - just a reminder.

But yes, 2 hours in the brig is a long time to hope another player learns some lessons for a future game!

A house rule my group uses is that the person in the brig can use as many cards they want to pass the brig check but can ONLY put one card in for crisis checks. :wacko:

A house rule my group uses is that the person in the brig can use as many cards they want to pass the brig check but can ONLY put one card in for crisis checks. :wacko:

That doesn't sound good, then a brigged Cylon who draws the proper colors to pass the skill check can make the Humans waste all their cards to keep him/her contained. Doesn't that effectively make the brig useless?

That doesn't sound good, then a brigged Cylon who draws the proper colors to pass the skill check can make the Humans waste all their cards to keep him/her contained. Doesn't that effectively make the brig useless?

We, in our last game, fix this house rule to demise of the humans.

When we play, characters rarely stay in the Brig for too long. It costs valuable skill cards to keep someone in the brig -- cards that are needed to pass most crisis' -- as they could attempt to get out each turn. Your fellow players must have really wanted to keep you there, to the point of risking a win.

Not really. if you don't have any support you only have your one card and have to hope that destiny is in your favor. even just casually tossing in an occasional negative 1 strength would be pretty effective.

Not really. if you don't have any support you only have your one card and have to hope that destiny is in your favor. even just casually tossing in an occasional negative 1 strength would be pretty effective.

Agreed, the real downside of keeping someone in the brig is that unless you know for a fact that the player is a Cylon you're just slowing the game down, and the longer the game takes the more likely the Humans will lose.

I guess the other problem is in a three player game if 1 human player is in the brig, then if the Cylon player can get the second player in (vote card strength, crisis card, presidency, etc) it's an all Cylon game! Throw the vote, make bad jumps, ignore cylon ships... you have removed a layer of safety. What Cylon reveal power is so awesome you would hang out in the brig helping to pass checks, XOing, etc... just to try and get out and then reveal?

Reasons why I only play 4+ >.> Though I had this happen in a 4 player game which was worse with some friends I don't usually play with. I got thrown in my the Cylon president, a revealed cylon was backing him and the other human player *still* wouldn't listen to me despite all the lies the Cylon president got caught up in because the other human player was listening to the miss-information from a revealed cylon...

Some people just don't think when it comes to games like this.