The Guardian of the Rift

By Thaddux, in Relic

My question is, does a player have to start his turn on the Guardian of the Rift space, before he moves into the rift, or can he just move in with however many movement points he has left?

Apologies, just found the rule that clarifies this for me.

*headdesk*

Where was the rule at?

Near the end pf the rulebook it says that the text boxes in the Guardian of the Rift space, and the Space Hulk square take effect when you move through them. Makes it easier to get back to the outer tier, and means that you don't have to face two cunning threats just to get to the inner tier.

Also, just in case I'm not the only one who missed this, movement dice don't explode.

I hadn't seen that movement dice didn't explode, but didn't see anything saying they did either. Cool. Thanks!

BuZzZzJay said:

I hadn't seen that movement dice didn't explode, but didn't see anything saying they did either. Cool. Thanks!

battle or skill test

Hope that clears up confusion.

Also as for the guardian of the rift and space hulk space not only do they take effect when you move through them, but also when you start on them.

So lets say you are on a space in the middle tier next to the Guardian of the Rift space. You have a relic. For movement you throw a 2 or bigger.

You can just waltz in to the inner tier through the Guardian of the Rift space? No stopping? No takin care of some yellow threat tokens?

Where's the challenge? In fact the whole inner tier was a letdown. We played for the first time last night and it was the beginner scenario without any boss, but still there's no real challenge in the inner tier if your character is level capped and has a few nice relics.

MrHangman said:

So lets say you are on a space in the middle tier next to the Guardian of the Rift space. You have a relic. For movement you throw a 2 or bigger.

You can just waltz in to the inner tier through the Guardian of the Rift space? No stopping? No takin care of some yellow threat tokens?

Yep, threat tokens only come into play during Exploration Phase, but you pass into the inner tier during your Movement Phase.

MrHangman said:

In fact the whole inner tier was a letdown. We played for the first time last night and it was the beginner scenario without any boss, but still there's no real challenge in the inner tier if your character is level capped and has a few nice relics.

Normally you'll have the eight influence and eight points of trophies (and are 8+ lvl), meaning you'll end up in the Palace of Slaanesh and have four spaces to go to reach the center. But sometimes you don't have the luxury of time to collect all those and instead have to go in there NOW. First ever game, UM Captain tried to rush it while only lvl 4, but ended losing his Reverent Fist in the Daemon World Braxas, which ended up seeing him fail at the Fortress of Khorne and get vanquished. Or today, Canoness had to enter the inner tier with neither influence or trophies and had to make a roll at Fortress of Khorne that had she failed, she would've been eliminated, but she passed and upon reaching the center with 1 life, defeated the Commissar in the Lost Flagship of St. Antias Scenario (aided greatly by the work of the Psyker, who was the first to reach the center, zapping off most of the Commissar's cunning). She could've also rolled worse at Chaos Titan Mals Furia and been eliminated sooner.

Last night I rushed this with a Level 1 Ordo Malleus Inquisitor. The way the events panned out, I found myself with a pile of Influence and extra life, and barely ever took on enemy threats. The event that lets you gain 2 corruption cards to gain +5 life came up, and finding myself on 9 life and with an early relic (the bones of the saint that drop off corruption) from free mission completions from cards (such as taking the pilgrim into the shrine world) I just thought "to hell with it" and dived in. My key Asset was Navigator, which let me slice through the middle tier in a single move.

I had 8 influence to spend exactly, and I had 8 power of trophies to spend exactly. I was nowhere near level 8 of course.

After that it was just stepping through the challenges, failing each one, missing a turn at the Tzeentch Maze, then stepping into the beyond.

The other players were hovering around Level 3-5 when I stepped into the centre board, though one determined leveller maxed out his levels while I was travelling in. It was all a bit anticlimactic though, as the only challenge that can actually slow your progress is the Tzeentch Maze, so by reaching the inner tier two turns earlier there was no way they could catch up.

The reason why it was so straightforward, of course, was the Mystery Beyond card being in the centre. Any other card in the centre of the board changes this picture completely, and makes early rushes much harder.