the inner tier

By LordZoma, in Relic

my question is this in the inner region do you advance even if you fail the skill test or do you have to pass the skill test in order to proceed? If you just need to fail or pass to move forward then winning the game is a simple as having 8 or 9 life and entering the inner area it makes more sense to have to pass the skill check otherwise you lose a life and stay still just like the inner region in talisman.

That is also my concern… Has anyone an idea?

Nothing in the rules state you stop. You take your turn and move on to the next one. That would mean that on the last space, the one where you pass or lose your turn you just do it once. IF you fail, you lose a turn then move into the scenario space. That's how I'm reading it.

So in other words, in order to win this game, all you need is 8 or 9 life.

LordZoma said:

So in other words, in order to win this game, all you need is 8 or 9 life.

That is assuming you are playing the scenario that requires you to only enter the center space to win…and not fight one of the big demons. Of course, you still have to complete 3 missions to get a Relic before you can even enter the inner region.

Yea I totally played a game where I had Sister of Battle with maxed out cunning, 12 lives when I got to the center and some cunning weapons, and Corruptis handed me my puss filled warped body back to me on a platted, had to start a new character. Just because you have a few lives doesn't mean you can win the game.

It certianly helps, but it's not a guarantee.

Played for the first time yesterday and we ran into this question at the end of the game. It makes the most sense to me that you proceed on your next turn whether you succeed or fail. The earlier squares hurt you no matter what and you just keep on going, right? One player had a painfully low strength score, but was stacked in every other possible way… it was nearly impossible for him to pass the strength test. I can't imagine that the game would require you to build a character that was maxed in all stats or simply be doomed to fail. Characters are meant to have specialties and weaknesses… that's what makes them interesting.

On a side note about this topic… Our game was running really long because we were preparing like crazy. I was behing the other two in preparedness, but I wanted to draw the game to a close and thought I'd just go for a suicide mission into the center. I failed my first skill check and then realized that nothing told me to stop moving… We deliberated about it and concluded that I should just move on. The trials in the inner ring are meant to test if you prepared and wear you down if you did not. It's not meant to stop you in your tracks. Sadly, we had all been avoiding the final confrontation because of the chance of getting stuck in the inner tier. The others could have totally won the game if they had entered before me and our game could've been a lot shorter.

JP

You always advance in the Inner Tier whether you've passed or failed the Tests.

We found the default ending of rushing to the centre anticlimatic., as the Inner Tier is not designed to stop you but to wear you down, as noted already. The scenarios are really fun though as they press you into going to the Inner Tier to experience the final confrontation.

Basically, rushing is not recommended and I think cheapens the game, but you don't have to be at Max Level to face the Scenario Goal.

Just have enough to get you by-say, Level 6 or 7, and prepare appropriately for the chosen scenario. But don't overprepare as too much caution will draw out the game.

The lagging player will press his luck too if he sees someone going for the win. It's this kind of tension that makes the game good.

Heh, in 10 games (all 3-p), someone has always hit lvl 12 before the end, but none of the game have gone over 2 hours. That said, only played Mystery Beyond (aka Sudden Death) and Chaos Manufactorum (aka One-Armed-Bandit) scenarios.

When you first enter the inner tier you can stack rewards, correct? 1 square for each 8 influence and for each multiple of 8 trophy points. Seems like in the games I've played the people who try and level up to max before heading to the end havn't won. Being a LONG time Talisman player I find this a welcome change.

They stack, but you can't use any of the optional ones more than once (so no paying 16 influence or discarding 16 points of trophies) and that seems to be the majority opinion from what I've read too. You get the automatic 1 space for Warp Rift's text box, then possible 3 more spaces, 1 for being lvl 8+, 1 for discarding 8 points of trophies and 1 for paying 8 influence. So the best you can do is reach the Palace of Slaanesh.

fumblemore said:

When you first enter the inner tier you can stack rewards, correct? 1 square for each 8 influence and for each multiple of 8 trophy points. Seems like in the games I've played the people who try and level up to max before heading to the end havn't won. Being a LONG time Talisman player I find this a welcome change.

Dark Bunny Lord said:

(similar to how you can't drain all the power off encounter threat cards that grant benefits as they only allow the removal of 1 power token rather than every token on them).

Nitpicking here, but is there any text on the cards themselves limiting you to one per turn? Isn't it more the rule regarding Charges that limits them to once per turn:

"Each player can spend a maximum of 1 charge token from each card each turn." (p. 19)

Dam said:

Dark Bunny Lord said:

(similar to how you can't drain all the power off encounter threat cards that grant benefits as they only allow the removal of 1 power token rather than every token on them).

Nitpicking here, but is there any text on the cards themselves limiting you to one per turn? Isn't it more the rule regarding Charges that limits them to once per turn:

"Each player can spend a maximum of 1 charge token from each card each turn." (p. 19)