Questions about how Partisan Cards, Control Markers, and the Maneuver Action restrictions interact

By MR Suplex, in Fortress America

The rules for placing units with Partisan cards and the rules for the Maneuver action seem to contradict each other. The Partisan card unit placement rules state that units can be placed in unoccupied enemy territory, yet the Maneuver rules explicitly state that no units can end in a enemy's territory at the end of the Maneuver action. Unless the Partisan card units are moved out of the territory to a friendly territory that turn, they violate the Maneuver action rules that come after they have been placed.

The only way around this is to either make an exception to the Maneuver actions stated rules above (like Bombers and Helicopters have) or to remove the control marker, but the rules do not say to do either of these things anywhere from what I can see.

Further, depending on whether you remove the control marker or just allowed Partisan card units to ignore the Maneuver action rules the turn they are placed, it changes the strategy, because if they have to declare an attack on the territory this will tie the unit up for a turn, whereas removing the control marker makes the unit completely free to do as it needs.

I'm inclined to think that the units still need to declare an attack on the territory so it can't in theory take 2 territories from an invader with a single Partisan unit (which seems OP to me), but who knows since its not clear.

Can anyone point me to where these questions are explained in the rules? If not, this needs to be addressed in a FAQ.

Wow no response at all?

Perhaps if I phrase the question differently it will move some discussion along.

1) In your games, when you resolve a Partiscan card that allows the US player to place units in enemy territory, what do you do with the enemy control markers currently in the territory? Do you remove them or keep them where they are?

2) If you leave the control markers where they are, does this mean the US units MUST declare the territory they started in and "attack" it as they would another territory? Or are they free to declare any adjacent territories?

MR: In the game play manual, it states the following:

Reinforecments can be placed in Unocucupied enemy-controlled territories (except City territories). When you do this, you take automatic control. Return the controlliing invader's CONTROL marker to him: he has lost that territory.

Hope this helps.

In both this version as well as the MB version the Invader Control marker was removed immediately upon placement of the partisans. Since at the start of the Maneuver phase the territory is now US controlled, there is no problem with the Partisans attacking an adjacent Invader controlled area.

So the turn Partisans get placed in an unoccupied enemy-controlled territory, Partisans can essentially capture two territories.

Drop some of them behind the Southern invaders front line and watch the fun!

Forum acting up so deleted

Forum acting up so deleted

Both of you mention that the rules state that the invader control marker is removed, but I do not see any evidence of this in the FFL game's rules. Please point me to exactly where the rules state this.

"Reinforecments can be placed in Unocucupied enemy-controlled territories (except City territories). When you do this, you take automatic control. Return the controlliing invader's CONTROL marker to him: he has lost that territory."

I do not see this text anywhere in my rulebook for the current edition of the game. Where is it located?

There is a similar thread over on BGG. Looks like the quote above from jimbogbp is taken from the original MB rule book. Why FFG would omit that detail, who knows. It certainly does create confusion. I think it's safe to assume that is how it should be played, but if you want to see an official response from FFG, I think you have a long wait. I suspect Fortress America was not a big seller for them.