Balancing the Revised core set

By Gimpy812, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

So, I have gotten the Revised core set, and played 4 games and things seem a little unbalanced (Out of 4 games Axis won 3). It could be chalked upto bad dice rolls (21 misses in a row in one game), and being new to the game. But what I see is Axis has more long ranged while the Allies have more close combat or 1 square stuff.

I was told to get a Wildfire walker for the Allies and that balances a bit because the range is a bit better.

i was thinking about getting Close combat troops for the Axis (either gorillas or zombies, but was told if i get gorillas that i need the operation box with the named gorilla in it), and getting a long range squad for the Allies (but i don't know what). I am really new to the game and have about 50 bucks a month if that to spend on the game, and I do not want to WMD the game (like buying something bigger and better and unbalancing the armies).

Please remember I am very new to the game, so I do not know what troops/characters are in what operation boxes, and what the names of most of the troops are.

I have read through the forums and searched for topics, but i couldn't find anything for balancing the box. I plan on moving to dust Warfare and was told that the armies from the core revised set are really unblanced there.

Right now I do not have a playing style (I.E. close combat or ranged) other than a balanced army, I don't want to go over board with vehicles, like i said its balance to me, though I will probably be getting some medium walkers at some point right now I want to focus on troopers next.

I always suggest getting the Grim Reapers for the Allies as they are a very good ranged anti-infantry squad and can be combined with Rhino, the Allied hero from the RCS. As they will add 26 points to your Allied army, you could add the Gorillas (24 points) to your Axis army as an equally-costed close combat squad. But the Gorillas aren't that good without their Leader Markus, so you could get the Zombies instead. They work well without a hero being attached, but add 31 points to your Axis army.

Exchanging the Allied Blackhawk for a Wildfire isn't a thing I thought of before, but it would really even things out.

If you are not that familiar whit the names of the troops/expansions you better take some time to do some research on the www.

Search for pictures of stad-cards so you can see and compare what every troop can or can't do.

Then you also get a more clear view what they are talking about on the forums.

I play the game for 9 months and i keep searching/reading/asking questions/learning about DT. (i have to, because i feel like a pioneer playing DT in Holland, because i did not find a nother dutch player in my area yet )

On You-Tube there is a guy "marcowargame" who tells which expansions he bought after the RCS and why. Maybe this can help you.

There are also video's where they are unboxing expansions and campaigns, so you get an idea what's in the box and you can make youre own mind about it.

Don't rush in taking decisions, better take youre time to do more reasearch. (i think thats's a nice hobby on its selves to)

Thank you guys so much, i now have ideas of what to buy :)

Hello all, I am new to the game as well and have done my research on these threads so thank you all that post its most helpfull. Now i was going to make this thread myself as well and I was looking through all the cards trying to balance out a force for the Allies and still keep it in points but am now worried that I am breaking what small 130 point starter games are supposed to be but ill let you all be the judge. So the list I have devised is the same excact cost as the Axis in the revised core set. So heres the list.

Action Jackson - Death Dealers - Grim Reapers - Tank Busters - Wildfire

Any thoughts you provide are welcome and apreciated thanks

Are you planning on fielding Action Jackson on his own?

Because he can't join either the Grim Reapers or Tank Busters since he doesn't have the JUMP skill.

Lol didnt think of that. I did say im still new right haha. So then do I go with Ozz or just stay with Rhino. And as far as the rest of the list goes can anyone tell me if it is balanced enough. or does it break what the box is trying to do. I hear so many complaints of the box being very unbalanced.

I have just posted in the below topic about balance in the core set, I was wondering just the same really but can you just buy one expansion say for the allies to exchange a squad, or say buy medium walkers for each faction or the spec ops for allies (sniper etc) and what would the axis need?

Im going to be playing family and it will be something we get out to play for fun so i need it to be balanced and fun for both sides.Also im thinking of gettingbthe tile terrain with the blue 4hunder so can i use the squads from the core for that or do i need extra squads.

Thanks in advance

Trumpet

Most players find it easier to play Axis than Allies in the revised core set, out of the box. It's maybe a slight balancing issue, but, it also depends on how you play the game: Do you play the revised core campaign, or do you play head on custom skirmish? When playing the campaign the units in the core set make more sense and are more balanced in my opinion than if they go face to face in a custom game.

Usuaully when playing with family/friends it will seldom feel like a balanced game even if the units are perfectly balanced, due to the fact that the people you play it with have less experience than maybe you have and perhaps also don't really know all the stats of all units, or what to make of them, their strenghts and weaknesses. Summed up there are many variables in the game and analasys paralasys is easily achieved if you're new to the game, as well as defeat. Hence, no matter how balanced the amies, if you want a balanced game with some people you better play with some kind of a handicap, and if you're wise you won't announce it or make it too apparant that you do.

Challenge yourself by for example fighting with a non optimal army build, some less points or by each round letting randomness decide in some cases what unit you will activate in what order. :P The goal of gaming is to have fun, and games tend to be more fun if your opponent also enjoys them and have a chance.

Played my first 2 games today with the axis although i plan on playing allies or ssu! My poor brother the Axis is way to powerfull he was crushed both times this box is definiteley NOT balanced it wasnt even fair as soon as i got into range! Maybe we are trying to balace the wrong side of the box and the Axis need to be dumbed down, which is probably easier.

Mines just been delivered so i will try it asap and see if its balanced or not ,could get expensive though seeing the contents just makes you want more

Axis has the 4 range stuff but no close combat, and the allies have range 2-3 and close combat….You can load up the board with terrain and that makes for a bit more evened game because tactics are alittle different with the more terrain you have.