Q about the warriors ability

By Qayin, in Talisman Rules Questions

Question is this.

at the Crown of command a and i (Priest) attacked the Warrior (lets assume our Str Value is 0)

my die roll was 4 and he rolled two dice as the warrior battle abiility states, and recived a 4 and a 1.

what i claim is this:

the attack ended and the value he defended agaist me was 4. at that point he chose to use FATE and rerolled, and the die dropped on 3.

I claim that since the Warrior ability was to CHOOSE 1 DIE to attack me with, the use of FATE means he HAS to take what the fate-roll states.

What he claims is that as a warrior he has a backup, in this instance meaning that the 4 he rolled stayed on the board (As insurence) and if he rolled lower or equal, nothing would happen to him because he always has the 4, or higher i would take dmg.

which one is true?

ty!

Qayin said:

Question is this.

at the Crown of command a and i (Priest) attacked the Warrior (lets assume our Str Value is 0)

my die roll was 4 and he rolled two dice as the warrior battle abiility states, and recived a 4 and a 1.

what i claim is this:

the attack ended and the value he defended agaist me was 4. at that point he chose to use FATE and rerolled, and the die dropped on 3.

I claim that since the Warrior ability was to CHOOSE 1 DIE to attack me with, the use of FATE means he HAS to take what the fate-roll states.

What he claims is that as a warrior he has a backup, in this instance meaning that the 4 he rolled stayed on the board (As insurence) and if he rolled lower or equal, nothing would happen to him because he always has the 4, or higher i would take dmg.

which one is true?

ty!

In this case, the Warrior may re-roll the 1 result with Fate, then choose to pick the 4 result if the reroll is not better. Each die roll can be rerolled once with Fate and the Warrior can re-roll both dice if he has Fate and wishes to.

Remember that the attacking character must choose first whether to use Fate to reroll his combat roll, then the defending character has the same option. So if the Warrior (defending character in the above example) uses Fate, the Priest (attacking) cannot see what happens and use Fate as well. Rules say he must choose first whether to use Fate or not.

are you sure?

if im not mistaken the rulebook say "when rolling 2 die the person may only use fate on 1 die"

and also, fate says "The player Must accept the value that comes out on the rerolled die"

Qayin said:

are you sure?

if im not mistaken the rulebook say "when rolling 2 die the person may only use fate on 1 die"

and also, fate says "The player Must accept the value that comes out on the rerolled die"

First part is true, but the second, well, it's sorta true. Yes, say you roll a 4 and a 1, Fate the 1 and reroll a 3, you must accept the value of the reroll. However, with the Warrior, it doesn't mean he has the CHOOSE the die, he can choose the 4 die. Normally, since you only have 1 die to choose from, rerolled die's result becomes your end result, but with two dice and choosing, it doesn't force you into picking the rerolled die, you can pick the non-rerolled one if you want.

Qayin said:

are you sure?

The Rule is as follows:

If a player rolls multiple dice (for example the Death space in the Inner Region), he may only pay one fate to reroll one of them.

I've always interpreted this rule as referred to rolling multiple dice to add them together . The Warrior ability rolls 2 separate dice and picks 1, I think you can use fate on both dice if you can and want (never seen it happen, though, as the Warrior rarely acquires lots of Fate, except when he has Fate Stealer). Maybe I'm wrong on this and you're right in applying this rule whenever a players rolls more than 1 die.

If a player pays a fate token to reroll a die, he must accept the new result means that the new result becomes definitive and replaces the previous one, which can't be considered anymore. It doesn't mean that when you use fate to reroll a result that you may choose, you have to choose the result of the reroll.

thanks buddy…

it does seem a-bit open to interpetaion… ill just see if anyone else comments and what they say.

Dam said:

Qayin said:

are you sure?

First part is true, but the second, well, it's sorta true. Yes, say you roll a 4 and a 1, Fate the 1 and reroll a 3, you must accept the value of the reroll. However, with the Warrior, it doesn't mean he has the CHOOSE the die, he can choose the 4 die. Normally, since you only have 1 die to choose from, rerolled die's result becomes your end result, but with two dice and choosing, it doesn't force you into picking the rerolled die, you can pick the non-rerolled one if you want.

I personally think this makes the most sense. I'm not sure about Warlock's interpretation regarding being able to fate both dice. I personally would say that's not the case, yuo can only fate one of them.

MonkOfDoom said:

Dam said:

Qayin said:

are you sure?

I personally think this makes the most sense. I'm not sure about Warlock's interpretation regarding being able to fate both dice. I personally would say that's not the case, yuo can only fate one of them.

I'm ok with this, all in all is what it's written in the basic rulebook. Roll multiple dice => spend 1 Fate on one dice only, no matter what you do with the multiple dice.

But as I said, I've never seen a Warrior in need to reroll both dice, so I never applied my interpretation to a real game.

Played a game yesterday and this exact discussion came up. The warrior fought an enemy with the same strength and rolled 4 and 1 while the enemy got a 5. The warrior was down on 2 lives and 2 fates (one on a luck stone) so he naturally didn't want to loose a life. Especially since he was deep in the dungeon at the time.

We discussed three different interpretations. Re-rolling 1 die, 2 dice or only the highest.

First of all I want to point out something you all seems to have missed (or perhaps it's just that I'm wrong and it doesn't matter). The warrior never choose which die to use - he uses the higher.

So the question really is when do you use fate..? Let me break it down.

The warrior rolls 2 dice resulting in a 1 and a 4.

1. First sceario is Warlocks interpretation about being one or two rolls. Can he re-roll 1 or both dices before he uses the highest roll..?

2. The other scenario is that since the ability clearly states that the warrior uses the higher the die roll the lower one is invalid and immediately discarded leaving the warrior with only the 4 to reroll. This solution seems more by the rules to me since you need a decided die roll before using fate. But it cripples the warrior quite a lot.

What do you think? Any new thoughts since it was quite a while since it was discussed.

Played a game yesterday and this exact discussion came up. The warrior fought an enemy with the same strength and rolled 4 and 1 while the enemy got a 5. The warrior was down on 2 lives and 2 fates (one on a luck stone) so he naturally didn't want to loose a life. Especially since he was deep in the dungeon at the time.

We discussed three different interpretations. Re-rolling 1 die, 2 dice or only the highest.

First of all I want to point out something you all seems to have missed (or perhaps it's just that I'm wrong and it doesn't matter). The warrior never choose which die to use - he uses the higher.

So the question really is when do you use fate..? Let me break it down.

The warrior rolls 2 dice resulting in a 1 and a 4.

1. First sceario is Warlocks interpretation about being one or two rolls. Can he re-roll 1 or both dices before he uses the highest roll..?

2. The other scenario is that since the ability clearly states that the warrior uses the higher the die roll the lower one is invalid and immediately discarded leaving the warrior with only the 4 to reroll. This solution seems more by the rules to me since you need a decided die roll before using fate. But it cripples the warrior quite a lot.

1. Reroll one die only.

2. Reroll either die, but must then use higher result.

2. Reroll either die, but must then use higher result.

Agree!

Why?

Because:

Fate is a measure of a character’s luck and fortune. Once per die roll, a player may pay one fate token (returning it to the stockpile) to reroll one die he has just rolled under the following circumstances:

2. Rolling a die to determine his character’s attack roll.

Warrior:

You may roll two dice in battle and use the higher attack roll to determine your attack score .

higher attack roll means it was two different rolls, one lower and one highter.

Can reroll each, use hightest.

Edited by Windyhead

This thread has become quite a mess to read since the forum reboot. Quote tags are bugged.

My first answer suggested considering the Warrior's attack roll as two separate rolls that can be rerolled with fate. This is actually the best way for fate to be applied to the ability in an effective way.

I then changed my mind completely, because the wording of the Warrior's ability clearly indicates that this is a multiple dice roll, no matter what you do with the results. To avoid confusion, I then suggested to go as per Rulebook, using max. 1 fate on that 2 dice attack roll. The rules don't specify whether multiple dice are added together or not, so we're not allowed to make exceptions.

Summing up:

1. You can reroll max. 1 die, but you can choose which one.

2. After rerolling you choose the highest result.

Basically what talismanamsilat said.

My first answer suggested considering the Warrior's attack roll as two separate rolls that can be rerolled with fate. This is actually the best way for fate to be applied to the ability in an effective way.

I then changed my mind completely, because the wording of the Warrior's ability clearly indicates that this is a multiple dice roll, no matter what you do with the results. To avoid confusion, I then suggested to go as per Rulebook, using max. 1 fate on that 2 dice attack roll. The rules don't specify whether multiple dice are added together or not, so we're not allowed to make exceptions.

there is not 2 dice attack roll, there is 2 attack rolls.

One roll highter and one roll lower.

Rules says: " Once per die roll, a player may pay one fate token".

Edited by Windyhead

there is not 2 dice attack roll, there is 2 attack rolls.

One roll highter and one roll lower.

Rules says: " Once per die roll, a player may pay one fate token".

The Warrior ability says:

You may roll two dice in battle and use the higher attack roll to determine your attack score.

Which is quite different from the Dragon Hunter deathblow ability saying:

Roll two dice and add them together to determine your attack roll.

That's the reason of my first thought on this matter. However, I'm still rolling multiple dice at the same time and the fate rule doesn't make differences between rolling multiple dice and add them together, or rolling multiple dice and consider their separate results (e.g. the Warrior of topic, but also Riddle Stone in the Woodland).

This is why I changed my mind on the fate on both dice. They're rolled together, so they're a multiple dice roll.

To make a different example, the additional die for the Champion of Light during Day is a separate roll and can be rerolled as normal.

Edited by The_Warlock

Thank you for your input. As always the answer isn't crystal clear but I agree with Warlock and Talismanimsalat and that's what we agreed upon during the game as well. Still, if there will ever be an official statement going any of the other ways I wouldn't say anything against that either.

One last word. This problem is actually limited to the Warrior's ability, which has a not-so-streamlined wording that creates an ambiguity.

Just compare how the Amazon's movement ability and Soul Drinker's effect have been worded. It's hard to think that you can spend more than 1 fate in those cases. Why is the Warrior so different? Because it's an old card, reprinted from old editions, which had no opportunity to be 100% streamlined for this edition. It's the same for other characters in the base game.

It's amazing how long it takes for the Talisman base set bugs to come up.