A new steampunk game :-)

By Julia, in Planet Steam

Seems like FFG is on Steampunk, uh? Curious to see if this one is worth getting

Oh, the original is nice too, but the box on that is Extremely Oversized. The game is good.

Is it my imagination, or is FFG doing 90% recycled games at the moment? Whether it's new editions, re-themes or reprints of oldies - where have all their NEW games gone? It seems to be predominantly the LCG games that are new for them.

The original game was very good, so as long as FFG didn't fiddle with the rules too much, this should be quite good.

However …

Based on the images of the components so far available, it looks pretty disappointing. The plastic components for the extraction tanks, was, with FFG, to be expected, and while a bit more distinction between dark grey and silvery grey (for I'm guessing energy and ore tanks) would have been nice, they look decent enough. From what I can tell of the card art, it's not near as good as the original, but it's not too much of a downgrade. However, underwhelming is an understatement for the chits that replace the bits for the resources. Worst of all is the new board design and the chits to denote tank ownership - I really hope there is time for FFG to change and improve on these. The detractions are right now turning what would be an almost guaranteed must buy (Planet Steam with a smaller box) into possibly, maybe even probably passing on it.

Is it my imagination, or is FFG doing 90% recycled games at the moment? Whether it's new editions, re-themes or reprints of oldies - where have all their NEW games gone? It seems to be predominantly the LCG games that are new for them.

I totally agree... FFG is turning into WotC and putting a lot on card games. I guess the profit factor is higher making paper cards then plastic miniatures... If you could see my game shelves you would think I worked for FFG, but alas things have slowed down with the FFG purchases around here. I guess on the bright side of things I am saving money :P