Variation in the factions

By DerWunderWaffle2, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

Dear Dust: Tactics Players!

I'm new to table-top wargaming and am very interested in playing Dust: Tactics. I've done some surveying of each of the factions to see which one I would like but I'm at an impasse. Though I'm partial to the Axis, the other factions have some really cool units that I wouldn't mind building an army around either. My question is: How much customization is there in each faction? Can I have a more mobile Axis force? A bunkering SSU force? A sneaky Axis force?

Those questions might be better answered in how you strategies or play.

Best option is to go for the faction you like the look of as non are any better than another on the table-top. You can certainly custom your forces for certain play but you have to bear in mind that the scenarios will require you to use different stratagies. You can get a fast Axis force with the use of Zombies, Gorilla's and the Hero with move bonuses and I think there is one Axis unit with Fast. And you can hunker down with the SSu easily enough as they can come equiped witha pair of LMG's or sniper rifles.

DerWunderWaffle said:

Dear Dust: Tactics Players!

I'm new to table-top wargaming and am very interested in playing Dust: Tactics. I've done some surveying of each of the factions to see which one I would like but I'm at an impasse. Though I'm partial to the Axis, the other factions have some really cool units that I wouldn't mind building an army around either. My question is: How much customization is there in each faction? Can I have a more mobile Axis force? A bunkering SSU force? A sneaky Axis force?

Not sure what you mean by "sneaky"--there isn't really any rules for stealth in Dust Tactics. The closest thing are aircraft which can deploy almost anywhere on the map.

As far as making one faction play like another, you can sort of do that. As others have pointed out, you can build a more mobile Axis force if you focus on certain units, but the Axis will never be as mobile as the Allies since they don't have any Move 2 Jump infantry. Similarly, you can build a longer range SSU force if you focus on snipers and certain of their armor units, but the SSU infantry are missing the raw firepower of the Axis since they don't have any Type 3 units.

There are some things, though, that can only currently be done by certain factions. For example, the SSU are currently the only faction with airborne transports and 2-space heavy armor.

Hmmmm… I think I'm going to start building Axis than. Thanks very much everyone for the information. Much obliged! :D