Rogue Trader with Only War

By Evilref, in Rogue Trader House Rules

I've seen a few posts around about people converting character generation and advancement, but I'm looking to get some insight to see if anyone's playing with other aspects:

Talent/Action changes (Using Only War rules for swift/lightning/full auto etc.)

Trait changes (the change to unnatural characteristics for example)

Weapon changes (Only War's weapon stats seem significantly different in a number of areas - meltas, heavy bolters and so forth).

If I had my way, I'd convert my group over entirely to Black Crusade and play the Chaos-side of space swashbuckling. Considering the playstyle of some of my players, it might not be that big of a change.

Black Crusade has the same rules regarding actions and talent interactions as Only War, but has an even more open advancement set up that would be great for the 'big-movers' of a voidship (or pirate wolfpack) that may drasitically change midgame (harder to do with aptitudes). I also like Infamy way more than Profit Factor and Fate points, especially as it's a moe fluid resource. The BC minion rules need some work, but they would be great for building up 'secondary officers/assistants' for the various roles.

I may be odd in this, but I've come to dislike the origin path and would prefer the Passions (Pride/Failing/Motivation), but I tend to unhitch the hard-set mechanical modifiers (look at the BC House Rules thread to see more) to allow more variety.

HappyDaze said:

If I had my way, I'd convert my group over entirely to Black Crusade and play the Chaos-side of space swashbuckling. Considering the playstyle of some of my players, it might not be that big of a change.

Black Crusade has the same rules regarding actions and talent interactions as Only War, but has an even more open advancement set up that would be great for the 'big-movers' of a voidship (or pirate wolfpack) that may drasitically change midgame (harder to do with aptitudes). I also like Infamy way more than Profit Factor and Fate points, especially as it's a moe fluid resource. The BC minion rules need some work, but they would be great for building up 'secondary officers/assistants' for the various roles.

I may be odd in this, but I've come to dislike the origin path and would prefer the Passions (Pride/Failing/Motivation), but I tend to unhitch the hard-set mechanical modifiers (look at the BC House Rules thread to see more) to allow more variety.

Still though good to know, I"ve never taken a good look at the BC rules. Might have to buy it if the minion stuff is worthwhile.

You'll find my take on this in the House Rule link in my sig.

The part about Psychic rules will obviously not work for you, as the Dark Heresy system is very different from Rogue Trader and later games mechanics, but the rest should be easy to slot in.

Short version is we mostly play by Only Wars rules, but keep the character progression mechanics from DH (Because we "switched" mid-campaign. Had we started a new DH campaign, I believe we would use the OW rulebook as is).

If you don't mind a question this late, how do you deal with origins and career paths that don't appear in OW?