Necrons and Fear

By Jutlander, in Black Crusade

I have not played Warhammer 40,000 , but I have always assumed that Necrons caused Fear like the Undead in Warhammer Fantasy Battle . I personally find them to be terrifying.

Shouldn't they have a Fear rating in the roleplaying games? Would it break anything if they did? Should it be the same rating for Warrors, Immortals, Flayed Ones, Lords, Deathmarks, and the Lych-something-something-Guards?

In galaxy where everything want's to eat your soul or your flesh or maybe just enslave you some pitiful aliens that have metal bodies are not so scary :)

But they are, they don't stop, they don't break, their weapons can flay a man, layer by layer. Some of them wear the flesh of their fallen foes, coming at you like something else, others will come through the wall or door, slicing a man in two before they become intangible again. For all of them, something worse is wrong, as if they don't even belong in this world, but one is worse, it's very presence makes your soul wracked in pain, in the body of a cruel simulcra of a man. But for those who draw on the Warp or dwell there, this terror is even worse, where it can rip away parts of them while it is near. Their armor is almost impenetrable to even the powerful melta guns, their flaying guns can weaken or destroy your vehicle with a glancing blow. Worst of all? The silence, the unchanging expressions, the utter hate simmering quietly as they methodically eradicate you and those around you.

Just an idea of how scary they can be. In the Cain books they are really done well. Side note, this is for the original Necrons, not the crappy replacement they got

Cymbel said:

But they are, they don't stop, they don't break, their weapons can flay a man, layer by layer. Some of them wear the flesh of their fallen foes, coming at you like something else, others will come through the wall or door, slicing a man in two before they become intangible again. For all of them, something worse is wrong, as if they don't even belong in this world, but one is worse, it's very presence makes your soul wracked in pain, in the body of a cruel simulcra of a man. But for those who draw on the Warp or dwell there, this terror is even worse, where it can rip away parts of them while it is near. Their armor is almost impenetrable to even the powerful melta guns, their flaying guns can weaken or destroy your vehicle with a glancing blow. Worst of all? The silence, the unchanging expressions, the utter hate simmering quietly as they methodically eradicate you and those around you.

Jutlander said:

Cymbel said:

This is what I was thinking (except less eloquently). They are unnatural and that is what should be scary about them.

Whot's scary highly depends on what you are used to see. In Call of Cthulhu pnp a sight of mutilated dead body is scary and grants insanity, that's because it's set in 1920s and such things were extremely are, and so 'unimaginable' for most.
In the world where servitors are common, and knowledge is scarce, your own ignorance about what necrons are is your shield against terror they represent. Was someone to explain it to you beforehand, things might be different.

I can totally understand the lack of a fear rating, which should only apply to their most horrific ones (flayers, pariahs, etc.), but the main purpose of my post was to point out how scary they are and can be, much more than servitors.

Eh, if you have Jaded you just don't care anyway.

Terraneaux said:

Eh, if you have Jaded you just don't care anyway.

Or Fearless.

Or if you're one of the Emperor's Holy Space Marines, hard of body and mind, trained to stare down the foulest beasts imaginable and stand their ground. And they shall know no fear, for they are fear incarnate.