Wizard losing last spell

By RmB303, in Talisman Rules Questions

Firstly - This my first post here, so Hi to all :-)

Secondly - Played my first ever game of Talisman on Friday night, althoug I've wanted the game since seeing the first edition when I was a kid. Don't know what took me so long, but at leat I've got a very pretty version of it now.

Thirdly - The question . . .

If a character like the Wizard loses their last spell due to a card's effect, and it is not their turn; when do they gain a new one?

Is it straight away, although their card states "when you have cast your spell' (or words to that effect); or is it when they start their next turn?

p.s. I was the first to die when my step-daughter reached the Crown. I lost against my girlfriend and her daughter.

At least they're eager to play again.

In the rules, "always have a spell" characters gain a new spell when they cast their last. So in effect, as long as you only have one spell, every time you cast one, you gain one, meaning you are never without a spell.

However, this is ripe for abuse with certain players and some people play that your special ability only gives you a spell if you don't have one at the beginning of your turn.

Hope that helps!

Remember, there is also a limit to the number of spells you can cast, i.e. the number of spells at the start of that turn (rules p13). So this limits the how much abuse a player can make.

E.g. The wizard as only one spell. He casts Counterspell during the Sorceress's turn, then draws a new spell (Invisibility). The next turn is the Monk's turn who attacks him, so he cast Invisibility to evade, then draws a new spell (Random.) He can't use this on the Monk straight away but must wait for the Monk to end his turn first.

I thought that it was per "Overall" Turn, meaning that if you have one Spell, you cast that and you have to wait for your next turn before you can cast the new Spell gained automatically.

Seems nasty that if you have, say 6 players, that the Wizard can cast 6 different Spells during an "Overall" Turn.

Rulebok, p13, Casting Spells: The maximum number of Spells a character may cast during his turn is equal to the number of Spells he had at the start of that turn. A character may only cast one Spell during another character's turn. This does not apply to the Command Spell, however.

Cailus said:

I thought that it was per "Overall" Turn, meaning that if you have one Spell, you cast that and you have to wait for your next turn before you can cast the new Spell gained automatically.

Seems nasty that if you have, say 6 players, that the Wizard can cast 6 different Spells during an "Overall" Turn.

That depends on the Wizard getting 6 spells that are all playable during another char's turn. Many of them I've noticed have "at the start of your turn", with Reaper, many "when you are about engage in battle". All those are "useless" during another player's turn.

On a side note, the spell casting limitation kicked in for the first time yesterday. Priest had 3 Spells, Druid 2, Priest's turn. Priest casts Nullify (char discards all spells), Druid Counter-spells. Priest casts Acquisition, Druid has 2nd Counter-spell, but can't use it as it's not his turn.

Dam said:

many "when you are about engage in battle". All those are "useless" during another player's turn.

Why is it useless during another player's turn?

Is there sometinhg about attacking in this sentence?

Are you guys combining the basic Talisman and Reaper spells cards together, or play separately?

8janek8 said:

Dam said:

many "when you are about engage in battle". All those are "useless" during another player's turn.

I always played that Spells used "when you are about to engage in battle" can be used if you're attacked by another Character. Just let him fight with the Bear, Serpent, Phoenix or even with the Stormcrow, if you're engaged in psychic combat; actually, these Spells are better for defense, except early in the game. Bladesharp and Enchant Weapon are more versatile, but they can be played in another's Character turn, why not?

I always combine the two Spell decks; the resulting deck is difficult to waste and double spells are rarely drawn twice. Basic deck has the most useful Spells, I don't think the Reaper Deck will get Characters that far if put into play alone.

8janek8 said:

Dam said:

Because those are only usable IF another char attacks you. You don't engage in battle during another player's turn otherwise. Also, they won't work if you get attacked via Psychic combat (or vice versa if you have a Psychic combat spell).

Thanks. But I need it in upcoming FAQ.