Handing off excess loyalty cards.

By player38122, in Battlestar Galactica

There’s one thing I can not understand about this phase in any version of the game; if a revealed Cylon has to hand off his other loyalty card to another player, it’s only going to be another “You are not a Cylon” card (unless there is a infinitely small chance of getting two of these cards). Since the player that the card is handed to will now have three “You are not a Cylon “ cards, and every smart player will know this anyway…what’s the point? It seems redundant.

Some players get more than one loyalty card, namely Baltar and Boomer. They really can get both cylon cards. And sometimes even a regular one-card player will in fact get dealt both cylon cards in a 5+ player game, one at the start and one at the half. Sometimes in a 4 or 6 player game, the unrevealed cylon will get the Symp card and reveal that, and then hand off the unrevealed cylon card. It happens. And it's important to have that hand off ability, as the game would be too lopsided in favor of the humans if the cylon couldn't activate a second cylon. Given this awareness, what is also fun about the hand off is that increases paranoia somewhat among the humans about the person receiving that excess card.

Additionally, in Exous, there are alternative You Are Not a Cylon cards that involve either personal agendas or consequences for being viewed by someone. So, the hand off of excess is important so that these cards remain in play after a cylon reveals and don't "go away."

So, if a player happens to get bouth Cylon cards, gets revealed, and hands the other one off to another player, they would become a Cylon as well. Now, if that ‘new’ Cylon gets revealed…they start passing off their cards to yet another player? At some point, the Cylon players will have no loyalty cards (they don’t need them) and another player could end up with 3 or 4 loyalty cards?

So, if a player happens to get bouth Cylon cards, gets revealed, and hands the other one off to another player, they would become a Cylon as well. Now, if that ‘new’ Cylon gets revealed…they start passing off their cards to yet another player? At some point, the Cylon players will have no loyalty cards (they don’t need them) and another player could end up with 3 or 4 loyalty cards?

I guess I sort of get it now…in a game where there is supposed to be TWO Cylons, and the cards go to one player, that one player gets to drag a person of their choice over to the Cylon side so there will always be those two Cylons. But in a game where there is only ONE, or after the Two become known, I guess no other players will be suspicious if some one has 3 or more loyalty cards, because at that point they would all know the one or two Cylons have already been rooted out. (Sorry for the double reply..stupid computers).

Yes, in a usual game, once all the cylons have been revealed, then typically no one cares about loyalty cards. In fact, often at that point, I will say "everyone want to hand me their loyalty cards?" I grather them and sort them for the box or ready them up for the next game, which we often play.

If you were playing with the Exodus alternate loyalty deck, then it *would* matter to hold all the cards in play, because some of those cards have consequences for the human team. For example, a Conflicted Agenda card might say "Action: Reveal this card if you hold two title cards. If you have moved less than 6 distance, shuffle this card into the loyalty deck and draw another loyalty card. If this card is not played by a human by the end of the game, lose one morale."

We've had games where one player gets foisted with 3 agenda cards and goes nuts trying to meet them and not lose the game for the humans.

So, here’s a dumb question; after one of the players (their characters-not the actual players) gets executed, and they are not a Cylon. When you draw another PC, do you add another Loyalty card to the mix, or only if you are picking Balter or Boomer?

So… you thought you would ask a simple question….

The specifics are in the rules… and I say that because Exodus is a real game changer about this.

Other than Sharon or Baltar, in base game, you only get the cards at start of game and at sleeper phase. If you are executed after sleeper, and are human, then everyone knows it (unless you get handed more cards by revealed cylon!). This is an excellent way to be sure your admiral is Human before new Caprica… hehe.

Sharon “Boomer” Valerii
If Sharon “Boomer” Valerii is selected as a new character,
shuffle one “You Are Not a Cylon” Loyalty Card into the Loyalty
deck. Then, if she was selected after the Sleeper phase, she is
immediately placed in the “Brig” and the player who selected
her draws an additional Loyalty Card.

Gaius Baltar
If Gaius Baltar is selected as a new character before the
Sleeper phase, immediately add one “You Are Not a Cylon”
card to the Loyalty deck, shuffle it, and deal one Loyalty Card
to his player.

Karl Lee and Samual all have notes for execution but not about loyalty cards.

In Exodus, you always have at least 1 extra card in the loyalty card stack. You add a "you are not a cylon" card, mix it up, and the deal a new loyalty card to the new character. So, you could execute a human, and they could get a Cylon card, final five, personal agenda, etc. (the short version of that at least)

Thanks, but I actualy said "So, here’s a dumb question;"…