Deck Dilution

By Niranth, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

Has anyone expiremented with a deck with more than ten objective sets? Were your results as disappointing as mine? I expect as more is released, mill decks and other larger decks will be more likely.

Niranth said:

Has anyone expiremented with a deck with more than ten objective sets? Were your results as disappointing as mine? I expect as more is released, mill decks and other larger decks will be more likely.

I used the neutral objective set with the 3 fates and 2 units for the LS and didn't really notice.

I have not ventured into the realm of more than 10 Objective sets, but I could see how adding one neutral set (for the extra fate cards) might be useful. To the OP, how may sets were you using?

MasterJediAdam said:

I have not ventured into the realm of more than 10 Objective sets, but I could see how adding one neutral set (for the extra fate cards) might be useful. To the OP, how may sets were you using?

Niranth said:

MasterJediAdam said:

I've tried 11 to 14. Even adding one neutral objective can cause misfires. I was surprised how marked the effect was for most decks I have played. (Winning 5/6 to winning 1/3)

Not really large sample sizes.

TGO said:

Niranth said:

MasterJediAdam said:

I've tried 11 to 14. Even adding one neutral objective can cause misfires. I was surprised how marked the effect was for most decks I have played. (Winning 5/6 to winning 1/3)

Not really large sample sizes.

What kind of advantage are you expecting to get out of that 11th set? Surely, the 11th set is going to be worse than one of the first 10 you picked? (Or you wouldn't have picked those 10 over it) So what would you want to create the possibility of drawing cards from an inferior set instead of one of your preferred sets?

The problem is, the Limited objectives throw a rather large wrench in the math of the game.

I've chosen 5 objectives I want to use, let's say Fall of the Jedi, The Emperor's Web, Imperial Command, Death and Despayre, and Reconnaissance Mission. Each of those objective sets I would gladly include two copies of, but the game allows me only one copy of Reconaissance Mission. Clearly, I've chosen a more control-oriented strategy, so Corporate Exploitation isn't the set I want. So then, what set is good enough that I'm happy running one and only one copy of it?

I tried a 12 set, (Sith and and 2 Scum) deck; it proved to be a complete misfire which saw a usually powerful, fluid deck become slow and 'chance-y'. I, too, am amazed at what a difference it makes to go over the minimum 10 set deck. I can only imagine that we will see the expansions add cards that will allow more deck searching mechanics etc. However, I am not bothered that much as I love the fast pace of this game: in keeping with the films and allows me to get in quite a few games/deck variants in an evening.