Weapon Range Errors

By Randal, in Black Crusade Game Masters

Hi,

I was just putting together a table to summarise the weapon range BS modifiers when I noticed a hole. Unless I'm missing something, there seems to be a missing modifier between a weapons normal range and twice it's range. Here's my table based on the rulebook.

Range Weapon Range Modifier
Too Far > 4 X Impossible
Extreme > 3 X Very Hard (-30)
Long > 2 X Difficult (-10)
??? > 1 X ???
Normal <= 1 X Challenging (+0)
Short < 1/2 X Ordinary (+10)
Point Blank < 2m Easy (+30)
I propose changing it as follows

Range Weapon Range Modifier
Too Far > 4 X Impossible
Extreme > 3 X Very Hard (-30)
Long > 2 X Hard (-20)
Above Normal > 1 X Difficult (-10)
Normal <= 1 X Challenging (+0)
Short < 1/2 X Ordinary (+10)
Point Blank < 2m Easy (+30)

Everything beyond the range listed in the statline up to twice that same number is long range. There is no missing range catagory. For example a bolter with a 90m range is at point blank range from 0-2, short range from 3-45m, normal range from 45-90m, long range from 91-180m, and extreme range from 181-270m.

Cryhavok said:

Everything beyond the range listed in the statline up to twice that same number is long range. There is no missing range catagory. For example a bolter with a 90m range is at point blank range from 0-2, short range from 3-45m, normal range from 45-90m, long range from 91-180m, and extreme range from 181-270m.

This is what I assumed, but unfortuantely this does not match what is in the book.

LONG RANGE
Targets that are at a distance of more than double the range of
a character’s weapon are at Long Range. Ballistic Skill Tests
made to hit targets at Long Range are Difficult (–10).

EXTREME RANGE
Targets that are at a distance of more than three times the range
of a character’s weapon are at Extreme Range. Ballistic Skill Tests
made to hit targets at Extreme Range are Very Hard (–30).

According to the book, Long Range would be 180m and Extreme Range 270m. Leaving a hole between 91-180m.

It is a typo. It should say "no more than." Otherwise extreme range would extend out infinitly according to what is written. Also DW, RT, and OW (not sure on DH) all work the way I said, so it is safe to assume that it is a typo.

Every iteration of the rules I'm aware of is;

Point Blank: 1-3m [+30]

Short Range: (Less than Half Standard) 3-45m [+10]

Long Range: (More than Double Standard) 180-270m [-10]

Extreme Range: (More than Triple Standard) 270-360m [-30]

Maximum Range: Quadruple Standard range.

Naturally, all these range definitions are not in the same part of the CRB, but are instead parceled out between the Armoury and Combat sections. Range 90-180m is not a 'gap' as such, the weapon can fire at that range, and suffers no penalty for doing so. It's more than the given Range sure, but still less than Long range.

And yes, I have CRBs in front of me for DH, BC & OW. It's the same in each of them. Exactly the same.

Cryhavok:

The upper limit won't extend into infinity. The book mentions not being able to shoot 4 times a weapon's range.

Plasmafest:

If that's the case then Weapon Ranges are missleading. If the weapon has a range of 90m but functions normally up to 180m then why not say it has a range of 180m?

Already we see a problem since Cryhavok and Plasmafest both interpret the rule differently.

Cryhavok: "long range from 91-180m"

Plasmafest : "Long Range: (More than Double Standard) 180-270m [-10]"

I see a problem.

Okay I went back and read each core book and you are right, they copy pasted the same thing through all five systems. As it is a fairly assanine way to have the rules go though, I guess Im going to stuck with my house rule on range, as thiers makes little sense. Maybe someday they will get rid of the retarded monkeys the hire to copy/paste portions of previous systems, and hire thinking human beings.

Cryhavok said:

Okay I went back and read each core book and you are right, they copy pasted the same thing through all five systems. As it is a fairly asinine way to have the rules go though, I guess Im going to stuck with my house rule on range, as theirs makes little sense. Maybe someday they will get rid of the retarded monkeys the hire to copy/paste portions of previous systems, and hire thinking human beings.

What makes it really sad is that they copy/pasted the section from the original Dark Heresy core that was heavily errata'd, rather than copying and pasting the errata'd version into all the later books.