Unique monsters for those who like deep-flavored monsters

By Guest, in Fan Creations

These are very nice, I like the ideas for their abilities! The art is cool too.

One question: With negative infinity for all modifiers, is the Devour designed to be killable only with Clue token dice?

Anyway these are awesome. Nice job.

Yes, the point is to kill him only with clue tokens.

And thx.

Intriguing. We'll consider playing with them.

Hadanelith said:

Intriguing. We'll consider playing with them.

How do you play with custom tokens? How can you put them in the monster cup so they won't be detectably different from the other tokens?

As I have said before, you can buy special paper for your printer that is almost identical to what game companies use for cardboard tokens.

You can also add in Mask Monsters (or monsters from expansions you aren't using) if you aren't using them, and when you draw a Mask, you draw from the Custom Monster pile instead and set the Mask aside as long as the custom monster is in play or a trophy.

You can also make an arbitrary ruling of, "every 10th monster is a custom monster," or "every monster surge there is 1 custom monster."

Yep, using a Mask or Servant of Glaaki (or whatever) is the easiest way. But if you like to customize, you can make them almost the same as the real thing.

dkw said:

As I have said before, you can buy special paper for your printer that is almost identical to what game companies use for cardboard tokens.

You can also add in Mask Monsters (or monsters from expansions you aren't using) if you aren't using them, and when you draw a Mask, you draw from the Custom Monster pile instead and set the Mask aside as long as the custom monster is in play or a trophy.

You can also make an arbitrary ruling of, "every 10th monster is a custom monster," or "every monster surge there is 1 custom monster."

Hmmm... How would paper like that fit in the printer though? The monster chits are pretty thick. Or is the trick getting the same type of paper for the top and bottom and then just glueing them to a cardboard square? The arbitrary ruling sounds easier, or it could be done based on a die roll (with a separate custom monster cup).

There are two ways to do it.

1. Glossy Paper you have printed on glued to cardboard that you have cut to size. (trick is without wrinkles and edge, might want to use Epoxy)
2. There is Glossy Cardboard for home printers that you can buy that is a lot like the cardboard used to make the tokens. Most personal printers can run that kind of cardboard, but can not do Double Sided Printing with that Cardboard.
My printer is 10+ years old and could print on the cardboard just fine.

The special paper and cardboard is expensive, and depending on your area can be difficult to find. Office Supply, Specialty Computer, and Printer stores should carry it, but it is expensive as you get only about 10 sheets of the paper or cardboard per pack.

You may end up having to let the ink dry for awhile after printing.

I just noticed a possible issue with the Devour monster. If a player doesn't have any Clue tokens (or uses them all but is unsuccessful), there is no way out of combat. You cannot Flee, and the only way combat can end is that you will draw infinite Injury cards, thereby being devoured once you get a duplicate.

Maybe that's why you named it Devour, but it just doesn't seem like a good attribute for a monster. It would be okay if it was possible to avoid it, but once it's on your space you have to fight it. So someone with no Clue tokens could literally be devoured without a check when this thing moved onto him. Or maybe it traps you in a location by sitting on the street outside, forcing you to stay put until someone else kills it.

Anyway, just throwing that out there.

Sothis said:

I just noticed a possible issue with the Devour monster. If a player doesn't have any Clue tokens (or uses them all but is unsuccessful), there is no way out of combat. You cannot Flee, and the only way combat can end is that you will draw infinite Injury cards, thereby being devoured once you get a duplicate.

Maybe that's why you named it Devour, but it just doesn't seem like a good attribute for a monster. It would be okay if it was possible to avoid it, but once it's on your space you have to fight it. So someone with no Clue tokens could literally be devoured without a check when this thing moved onto him. Or maybe it traps you in a location by sitting on the street outside, forcing you to stay put until someone else kills it.

::Laughter:: good point... It should knock you unconscious if you fail a combat check.

Sothis said:

I think that's kind of the point, especially given the flavor text. If you don't have knowledge on your side, you're done.

Yeah I understand that, but the occasions on which it moves in someone's path would be very annoying. Totally unkillable AND unsneakable?

Obviously to each his own. I was surprised, is all.

The Message said:

Sothis said:

I think that's kind of the point, especially given the flavor text. If you don't have knowledge on your side, you're done.

If that's the point, and I'm not sure if it is, then the card should just say if you fail a combat check, you are devoured— rather than forcing you to draw the entire injury deck first. Unless of course, the intent of the card is to be comical, in which case, congrats :')

Sothis said:

Yeah I understand that, but the occasions on which it moves in someone's path would be very annoying. Totally unkillable AND unsneakable?

Well you don't HAVE to have clue tokens... you can evade it if you have Sedanette or the skill that adds auto success to sneak check, and you can kill it with Bind Monster or the unique item that grants you auto success at a combat check.

Avi_dreader said:

The Message said:

Sothis said:

If that's the point, and I'm not sure if it is, then the card should just say if you fail a combat check, you are devoured— rather than forcing you to draw the entire injury deck first. Unless of course, the intent of the card is to be comical, in which case, congrats :')

The point is that you won't have to spend 5 clue tokens hoping for one success or be devoured. If you don't care for the injury/madness cards, you could spend 1 clue token, and if it isn't success spend another one, etc. There's no need to draw the entire deck if you have no clues. If you have no clues than ofcours you're devoured, no point of drawing cards "proving" it.

kroen said:

Sothis said:

Well you don't HAVE to have clue tokens... you can evade it if you have Sedanette or the skill that adds auto success to sneak check, and you can kill it with Bind Monster or the unique item that grants you auto success at a combat check.

Avi_dreader said:

The Message said:

Sothis said:

The point is that you won't have to spend 5 clue tokens hoping for one success or be devoured. If you don't care for the injury/madness cards, you could spend 1 clue token, and if it isn't success spend another one, etc. There's no need to draw the entire deck if you have no clues. If you have no clues than ofcours you're devoured, no point of drawing cards "proving" it.

I agree :') which is why the card should just say you're devoured rather than draw an injury card.

Umm I didn't think you understood... if the card said you are devoured after failing a combat check, you will only have one try to kill it. With the current wording, you can spend one clue token. Success? good for you. Failure? not the end of the world. Draw an injury/madness card and spend another clue token to try again.

kroen said:

Umm I didn't think you understood... if the card said you are devoured after failing a combat check, you will only have one try to kill it. With the current wording, you can spend one clue token. Success? good for you. Failure? not the end of the world. Draw an injury/madness card and spend another clue token to try again.

Errr, you can add in another clue token after failing with the first. There's no reason why you would do it in separate bursts. See page 13 of the AH manual. Spending Clue Tokens On Skill Checks. For a second I got nervous and thought I'd been playing clue tokens wrong for years ;') but no.

Avi_dreader said:

kroen said:

Errr, you can add in another clue token after failing with the first. There's no reason why you would do it in separate bursts. See page 13 of the AH manual. Spending Clue Tokens On Skill Checks. For a second I got nervous and thought I'd been playing clue tokens wrong for years ;') but no.

lol this is classic I can't believe I missed it sorpresa.gif