Resource Match? Cards with affiliation icons but zero resources.

By Luminous Quasar, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Rules Questions

The rule book says (pg 16):

* The cost of playing a neutral unit, enhancement, or event card does not require a resource match….
* Cards with a resource cost of “0” do not require a resource match to play.
The LS Enhance card "False Lead" and the Event card "Fall Back" have resource cost of "0" thus making both cards valid to both rules above. However , both cards have Rebel affiliation icons so I'm confused.
My question:
Though I don't pay any resource cost on those cards BUT do I still have to play both cards with (in this case) Rebel Alliance affiliation objective card or its affiliation card In Play?

Since their cost is 0, they don't require a resource match, so no, you wouldn't have to have Rebel Alliance resources in play. Although since both cards come from a Rebel Alliance objective set, chances are pretty good you'd have some Rebel resources in play anyway.

Not sure why you asked as you quoted the right part from page 16 of rulebook,

Cards with a resource cost
of “0” do not require a
resource match to play.

I'm guessing he asked because of a LotR LCG rule that requires you to have a matching Hero to play 0-cost cards. No such rule in this game.

dbmeboy said:

I'm guessing he asked because of a LotR LCG rule that requires you to have a matching Hero to play 0-cost cards. No such rule in this game.

Maybe that is what it is, I was also confused by his statement that those cards were affected by both rules he quoted, if they are not neutral cards they are not affected by the first rule quoted.

Toqtamish said:

dbmeboy said:

Maybe that is what it is, I was also confused by his statement that those cards were affected by both rules he quoted, if they are not neutral cards they are not affected by the first rule quoted.

Thanks guys for the answers and comments.

dbmeboy -

I didn't know that LotR has such rule (LotR LCG rule that requires you to have a matching Hero to play 0-cost cards) so my question was coincidently bumping to a common sense situation. I've already thought that I wouldn't need a Resource Match since at least one rule (the 0 resource cost) have applied to both cards but I just need to make sure :)

Toqtamish -

yes you are right and that was the confusing part to me .. "which rule overrules what". I was expecting that those 2 cards are neutral especially with 0 resource cost as most of them (Enhance/Event cards) (correct me if I'm wrong) are either having affiliation icons with the resource cost, which requires resource match obviously, or neutral with 0 resource cost.

Perhaps if it were similar to LotR LCG (as stated by dbmeboy), this situation would make a lot more sense if there is a condition to the rule .. something like "Require a Resource Match to play 0-cost cards in any cards with affiliation icons" or "Non-Neutral cards with 0 resource cost also do not require a Resource Match".

This came up in our tournament last Saturday. The question asked was, "Why have an affiliation on the card if you don't need a resource match to play it?" I suggested it was for other card interactions. For instance, Vader and Emperor Palpatine react to Sith event cards being played, so Force Choke needs to have the Sith affiliation on it to trigger those reactions, even though it doesn't need a resource match. Although we don't have cards that interact with Rebel Alliance events yet, I'm sure we will eventually.

Luminous Quasar said:

Toqtamish -

yes you are right and that was the confusing part to me .. "which rule overrules what". I was expecting that those 2 cards are neutral especially with 0 resource cost as most of them (Enhance/Event cards) (correct me if I'm wrong) are either having affiliation icons with the resource cost, which requires resource match obviously, or neutral with 0 resource cost.

Both cards still have an affiliation on them that you can see in the color on their frames, the Rebel Alliance icon above their card type and as well within the text box where you can see the Rebel Alliance symbol in the background.

ffg_fall-back-core-14-5.png ffg_false-lead-core-14-4.png

Budgernaut said:

… The question asked was, "Why have an affiliation on the card if you don't need a resource match to play it?" …

Yes .. exactly. To my understanding .. it contradicts one or the other.

Luminous Quasar said:

Budgernaut said:

… The question asked was, "Why have an affiliation on the card if you don't need a resource match to play it?" …

Yes .. exactly. To my understanding .. it contradicts one or the other.

dbmeboy said:

As mentioned above, the affiliation of the card can be referenced by other cards and therefore is relevant even without needing a resource match. For instance, Vader and the Emperor care about Sith event cards. If all 0-cost cards were neutral you'd be removing the ability to make 0-cost cards that interact with them (such as Force Choke).

Thanks dbmeboy, after rechecking the Force Choke card and how Vader and the Emperor both are referenced to the Sith's event card to trigger the Reaction … it's perfectly making a lot of sense now for the 0-cost cards that also have the affiliation icons .. :)

Some cards add cost to playing other cards. Lord Vader's Command adds 1 cost to LS event cards. So "0" cost cards would now cost 1 to play and the resource match would need to be met.