Questions after my first game

By FS1976, in Battles of Westeros

Hi,

I just had my first game of the core set, and though I generally got a pretty good understanding of the rules, I still need a little help clarifying a few matters:

1. If the entire unit around the commander is wiped out, what rules apply to the single commander-model? I.e. Rickard Castark is by himself after the two other cavalry models are gone - does he retain the 'pursue 2'-ability? Does he still attack with the same amount of dice as if he was the last cavalry model of a regular unit? And why can't I find this info anywhere in the rules?

2. Is morale not affected by a commander being captured? I mean, in any other way than how the rank of the eliminated unit affects morale?

3. If a unit makes a flanking attack and afterwards is attacked in the 'rear' - do I just consider it a regular attack since the flanking did not produce an engagement token? Thus a unit making a flanking attack cannot be flanked itself?

Thanks

F.

Hi,

According to my understanding.

1. Lone Commanders still act with the same traits as before. Yet, they have a capture value.

2. No affects to the morale other than normal.

3. The flanking units and the attacker become engaged as soon as flanking unit is attacked in the rear.

Hope that helps

It does, thanks!

One final question: Am I right when I say that inactive commanders still are able to play leadership cards on active units?

Regards

F.

FS1976 said:

Hi,

I just had my first game of the core set, and though I generally got a pretty good understanding of the rules, I still need a little help clarifying a few matters:

1. If the entire unit around the commander is wiped out, what rules apply to the single commander-model? I.e. Rickard Castark is by himself after the two other cavalry models are gone - does he retain the 'pursue 2'-ability? Does he still attack with the same amount of dice as if he was the last cavalry model of a regular unit? And why can't I find this info anywhere in the rules?

2. Is morale not affected by a commander being captured? I mean, in any other way than how the rank of the eliminated unit affects morale?

3. If a unit makes a flanking attack and afterwards is attacked in the 'rear' - do I just consider it a regular attack since the flanking did not produce an engagement token? Thus a unit making a flanking attack cannot be flanked itself?

Thanks

F.

1. The Richard Karstak unit is still a Winterfell Rider House Stark Cavalry unit, and retains the Commander's Keywords and Traits, as well as those of the unit's Class (Cavalry in this case, with Keyword: Pursue 2) and Rank (Blue in this case) - if playing with the Reduced Strength Optional Rule, Richard Karstark with no cavalry figures with him will roll one less combat die.

2. The Morale Track is affected by the elimination of a Blue Rank unit, in the Richard Karstark case, and will shift two spaces towards the "Rout" point of the player whose Blue Rank unit was eliminated

3. The first attack will not be a flanking attack, however you would place one of your House's engagement tokens between the enemy unit that previously conducted a flanking attack, and your attacking unit. If you move and melee attack with a second unit in that same turn, or melee attack with a unit in susequent turn, against the enemy unit previously engaged, those later attacks will be flanking attacks, barring any other changes in the battle such units retreating or beling eliminated.

FS1976 said:

One final question: Am I right when I say that inactive commanders still are able to play leadership cards on active units?

Yes, thats correct!

Thanks for all replies.

Regards

FS

Hi, people.

I have played my second game and would like to ask a few questions to you experts out there:

1. My friend and I were kinda puzzled about the fact that Clegane the Mountain has a capture rating of 4. It makes it practically impossible to remove him from the game. After the game we tried - as an experiment - to simulate a battle between Clegane by himself and an opposing red infantry unit imaginally boosted with a card granting an EXTRA attack die. Bear in mind that clegane was also a red unit in the given scenario... Anyways, it took us three tries to win and remove the one man army. Three. And all of the simulated combats was with a red unit fighting with five dice. Yes. Two of these units were wiped out before they got him. Am I really playing this correctly? A SINGLE attack needs to roll FOUR red shields?? This means that clegane surrounded by three blue units is untouchable?... Please tell me I have misunderstood the capture rule.

2. In Cleganes special rules a small shield icon is shown, and it says that the rule is activated if he rolls that. The little icon has the pattern of a BLUE shield, but is - as the text - black and white. The same icon is shown on some command cards. Again as a criterium to use a special rule. I believe it's a coincidence that the pattern is a blue shield, and think that any shield rolled or any shield token will qualify. Am I right?

Thanks a bunch.

FS

Edited by FS1976

1. yes you need 4 red shields (or mixed with valor signs) but keep in mind that because the mountain is a red unit, he is very slow. and I had him suffer 3 flag results so he had to go back 3 spaces while he can only move 1!! + he is a bad commander and can only give 1 order each round. These 2 things make up for the fact that he is almost impossible to kill. Again, Stark has got Karstark who is also near impossible to kill and kan do 2 commands and kan move 3 and attack or move 4

2. NO!!! it needs to be a BLUE SHIELD! why is this? because otherwise these little extra's are overpowered, Other powers sometimes are better but or more difficult to trigger. killing a unit with 4 dice and for each flag you roll you get another attack dice + the flag still counts?-> you will destroy a lot of thinned out units, so at least once! other units committed abilities are more powerfull or only usefull in certain situations. this one is always good and is only more powerfull if you only need 2 more moral results to make your oponent rout

the mountain is, like in the series and books, a bruut, champion, (pit)fighter with no sense of tactics but will kill anyone who comes near. And in this game that is very much so. Use him as your champion/tarpitter/unit killer.

Hi, people.

I have played my second game and would like to ask a few questions to you experts out there:

1. My friend and I were kinda puzzled about the fact that Clegane the Mountain has a capture rating of 4. It makes it practically impossible to remove him from the game. After the game we tried - as an experiment - to simulate a battle between Clegane by himself and an opposing red infantry unit imaginally boosted with a card granting an EXTRA attack die. Bear in mind that clegane was also a red unit in the given scenario... Anyways, it took us three tries to win and remove the one man army. Three. And all of the simulated combats was with a red unit fighting with five dice. Yes. Two of these units were wiped out before they got him. Am I really playing this correctly? A SINGLE attack needs to roll FOUR red shields?? This means that clegane surrounded by three blue units is untouchable?... Please tell me I have misunderstood the capture rule.

2. In Cleganes special rules a small shield icon is shown, and it says that the rule is activated if he rolls that. The little icon has the pattern of a BLUE shield, but is - as the text - black and white. The same icon is shown on some command cards. Again as a criterium to use a special rule. I believe it's a coincidence that the pattern is a blue shield, and think that any shield rolled or any shield token will qualify. Am I right?

Heroes like Gregor aren't ment to die or at least not easily, however i'd like to point out that you can also hit him with valors which you seemed to have forgotten.

and no you are not right the symbol on the card must match the symbol on the shield, for some reason they didn't color the icons i dont know why