Decks from News articles

By MasterJediAdam, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

All

Has anyone built the decks from the news articles posted by Nate French? If so, what types of results have you found?

MasterJediAdam said:

All

Has anyone built the decks from the news articles posted by Nate French? If so, what types of results have you found?

The problem is finding fully spoiled objective sets. I think there are 2 from the Hoth cycle (a Rebel and an Imperial) fully spoiled…

ziggy2000 said:

I think what he's talking about are the decks listed here:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3818

andhere:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3796

I'd forgotten about those, since they were published back before the release. I'm gonna go back and give them a shot though.

This was my thought as well. I definitely think that the DS is legit … The LS may need a little work, but agree with Nate that there are some significant tricks for the DS to deal with.

My bad, I had the new cards on my mind and apparently it caused me to fail at reading. I haven't built the DS one because I've been pretty happy with my personal DS decks. I do have the LS one put together as one of my 2 LS decks and it certainly works pretty well.

I often found myself in a resource lock with the DS deck, but I have luck that will always deny statisics. Unfortunately it isn't in a the good way. I imagine it doe better for those that the laws of statisics work.

I like the decks. Played a few games with them today and the DS is pretty good. The LS is a little more hand dependent, but still works.

MasterJediAdam said:

All

Oddly enough, when I was doing my own deckbuilding, I ended up making an Imp Navy deck that was identical to Mr. French's posted deck. Apparently we were thinking along the same lines in terms of dealing direct damage with the Navy sets while reinforcing the Navy's weakness in the Force struggle with Sith sets.

So far that deck has been a beast. I've only been able to beat it once with a Jedi deck (and an inexperienced player).

I put together the LS deck he suggested and gave that a try and I've failed miserably with it. It's not the deck's fault; I'm not very good with the nuanced playstyle of the LS decks. Still, I plan to practice and learn so I can play either side when necessary.

TonganJedi said:

MasterJediAdam said:

All

Oddly enough, when I was doing my own deckbuilding, I ended up making an Imp Navy deck that was identical to Mr. French's posted deck. Apparently we were thinking along the same lines in terms of dealing direct damage with the Navy sets while reinforcing the Navy's weakness in the Force struggle with Sith sets.

So far that deck has been a beast. I've only been able to beat it once with a Jedi deck (and an inexperienced player).

I put together the LS deck he suggested and gave that a try and I've failed miserably with it. It's not the deck's fault; I'm not very good with the nuanced playstyle of the LS decks. Still, I plan to practice and learn so I can play either side when necessary.

So my assessment of the decks is similar. I think I would need to see a good player play through with that LS deck (if it is worth something). I put 10 games on it and only won 2. I still consider myself a novice at this game, but I am not that bad …

MasterJediAdam said:

So my assessment of the decks is similar. I think I would need to see a good player play through with that LS deck (if it is worth something). I put 10 games on it and only won 2. I still consider myself a novice at this game, but I am not that bad …

I've found the LS deck to be quite explosive. Back when I was first building decks, I couldn't manage to get LS quite right, having DS win the first 15 games (alternating between me and my brother-in-law playing it) until I tried out that deck.

dbmeboy said:

MasterJediAdam said:

I've found the LS deck to be quite explosive. Back when I was first building decks, I couldn't manage to get LS quite right, having DS win the first 15 games (alternating between me and my brother-in-law playing it) until I tried out that deck.

I would be interested in getting an explanation on how it handles against various types of decks. I have problems with it handling agro and TIE swarm decks. I have even had issues with mixed decks and sith decks if the opening hand is mediocre or less. I am certain that Nate would not post trash, so it is obviously me.

The primary advantage of the LS deck is in its ability to crowd control - you should eat swarm decks for breakfast with Heavy Blaster Emplacement, Han Solo, and Rebel Assault.

What the problem you might be running into is, is that the deck is tricky by design. Your first attack in a turn should be a diversion, attacking an objective that you're not really interested in. If you force through some blast damage, that's fine, but the goal is to use your tactics icons and board control to shut down the enemy's defense for your real attack, an assault with your starfleet. Two Y-Wings wipe out any DS objective not named The Heart of the Empire in a single unopposed engagement, and your deck is built around letting that happen. One Y-Wing and Home One accomplish the same thing with some splash damage if you can win the edge, and without requiring the engagement be unopposed.

In true roguish style, your Characters provide the diversion while your Vehicles are the real threat.

D.Knight Sevus said:

The primary advantage of the LS deck is in its ability to crowd control - you should eat swarm decks for breakfast with Heavy Blaster Emplacement, Han Solo, and Rebel Assault.

What the problem you might be running into is, is that the deck is tricky by design. Your first attack in a turn should be a diversion, attacking an objective that you're not really interested in. If you force through some blast damage, that's fine, but the goal is to use your tactics icons and board control to shut down the enemy's defense for your real attack, an assault with your starfleet. Two Y-Wings wipe out any DS objective not named The Heart of the Empire in a single unopposed engagement, and your deck is built around letting that happen. One Y-Wing and Home One accomplish the same thing with some splash damage if you can win the edge, and without requiring the engagement be unopposed.

In true roguish style, your Characters provide the diversion while your Vehicles are the real threat.

That is an interesting assessment of the deck; thank you.

Hopefully it helps you in having greater success with the deck! If so, then it served its purpose.

While it's not quite as necessary, I may as well give my overview of the DS deck as well:

While the LS deck thrives on an aggressive feint-lunge style of play, the DS deck is an archetypical Sith control deck. Your first turn, ideally, you gain control of the Force, and then maneuver to keep it while using the solid removal capabilities of your Sith cards to protect your objectives, building up resources and powerful units as you go…up until you can start taking objectives in massive strikes. With just the Devastator and a Superlaser Blast, you can win the game with the dial at 7…your fourth turn if you successfully gained control of the Force. Sit back and defend until you see an opening to win the game in a single turn, control at its core.