sitting in this room…. for 7 months

By rahns, in Dark Heresy House Rules

I maimed a character in a quite bloody and intense combat, he lost his left arm (non dominant) and his eyes to the creature, now when he got pulled out, the critical damage managed to rake up to 5 months in hospital, so i combated this by removing his income for that time due to the groups connections….

but afterward he said he wanted to sit in a free 'room' (more like a jail cell he was put into to lay low in) for 7 months, since he has a the noble background and is raking in 550 thrones per month its obvious as to why i'd be insane to just let this happen without consequences.

im thinking that after a few month's he starts to develop a "cabin fever" type of insanity, but im unsure how to do it, i mean i can even give him upwards to Xd10 insanity where X is the number of months in the cell (keeping in mind he's blind and with one arm and is doing this JUST for the money to get a good arm and new eyes )

i have been thinking about it all week but i feel i need a second opinion thats not biased with our group i would really appreciate the input

Mean while the rest of the players are out earning XP ?

Have someone come after him. The hospital could be overrun by cultists, the doctors harvesting organs to build a flesh beast in the basement or the night nurses summoning Nurglings. Just because he wants to sit on his ass for 7 months is no reason to allow him to do so.

Depending on what's happening with the other characters and how often your sessions run this may be the end of his character as well. Heresy never sleeps and 7 months could see the other PCs on another planet or far across the sector.

Now he is a Noble, I am not sure that he would not still earn his thrones anyways while he was in Medical Care. After all I look at that as Family money that they get "paid" for being. Now it might not be available to him, at the time, depending on where he was healing. But it should still end up in his bank.

And if he is sitting, maybe offer him the Mediation trait after he is done, if he has the Exp. Is he staying just in his room, or is he not going out?

and yes he could take some Insane but mostly it would be from the damage he took and how he is dealing with it.

and while he is sitting home, the rest of his team will be gaining exp yes? or is the whole team been down.

Two Words, MEDICAL EXPENSES, good care in 40k isn't cheap, other solutions are an attack on the hospital (as was mentioned), holding back XP can leave the group unbalanced but this is a time I would say to penalize him, the other is the honors, awards, fate points, gear, rewards, loot, etc. that the group is earning in this tme, have the entire group outrank him?

Just don't penalize him for needed medical care too much (costs are reasonable though, but dont wipe out all the pay)

during the main healing portion he earned no thrones because thats straight up a good quality arm right there, he doesnt want the -10 penalty for doing something that everyone regarded as stupid (seriously for 6 turns they were telling him to run away while he was being manhandled)

but he is recovered at this point, and has been saying and asking me if he can have his character sit in the cell he was in for an additional 7 months or to give him a 7 month advance, but the thing is with the money the group has now (including a set of donated poor quality eyes) he can get all the things he needs to be right on track.

but we may have averted this, he came up to me and requested the nascent psyker advance, the guy knows the universe very well, but with the way he plays (slaughtering 22 and making the planets most wanted for a "simple" distraction ) i feel the problem may take care of itself.

and yes, im not just going to give the entire party 7 months income so they can all buy power armor, the other players would be moving on for xp and i have told them why as some missions may have time limits and some things that i would like to engage them with they may try to just throw money at it and wait around it all the time.

granted as well since he does have the noble background that comes with a personal noble rival i could very well send him a little visitor.

I'm pretty sure that whatever Inquisitor recruited this man into his service didn't recruit him to sit on his ass while the Imperium is under attack from without and within. Heretics wait for no man, and the Inquisition have more than enough fires to put out.

I can't imagine any Inquisitor will take kindly to a "no, I'm gonna sit in my room and save my allowance until I can afford very rare and expensive toys" when he orders his slaves, I mean servants, out to do the Emperors bidding.

You don't say no to an Inquisitor. You do what he tells you to do, immediately and without fail. He says jump, you ask how high.

He is a servant of the Inquisition. They decide if he can sit about for 7 Months, not him. It is likely that as soon as he is able he will be thrown back into the fray, without the chance to just accumulate money. It's not Rogue Trader you are playing here. Only an Inquisitor has that kind of freedom.

And if his character complains: well, that's what Inquisitorial Stormtroopers are for. Well, when they are not fighting deamons and Cultists.

Oh, someone ninja'ed me.

You seem to have overlooked the obvious IMO which is living expenses. A noble has noble (read expensive) tastes.

Any noble worth his salt is not going to sit in an empty cell. He will want a luxerious room with all the entertainments and trappings befitting his exalted rank.

Which should eat away quite a lot of his income.

And if he still claims he prefers the empty cell, punish him by having his noble family be ashamed of the ascetic in their ranks (e.g. cut off his family stipend) or have his social bonuses removed as he isn't acting as a true noble.

As a GM, I don't like telling my players NO but I do attach consequences….

This is the worst kind of exploitation of the system.

You need as a GM to smack this kind of manipulation down, otherwise there is a risk of the game stalling as the players decide to do less adventuous more exploitative things.

I recall when a group of players I joined enslaved a group of subhumans and forced them to build and work in a factory making adventuring equipment. They then retired on the proceeds and let the world burn around them.

Thanks for the help, but he took care of himself by becoming a nascent psyker then making a swan dive off a 20m wall

I do know that this is a little late, and that he have found a solution to the problem himself, but next time there happens something like this would I look at the rules for a "petitioning".

The inquisitor have to keep his boys in shape, and he have some obligations towards them, so if they don´t have the cash in between them to buy some normal quality prosthetics would I ask my Inquisitor if there wasn´t something he could do, missing an eye and an arm do after all not make you the best servant of the imperium

Tell him that he has to spend a large % of his income on things like food.