Need a Production phase?

By KAGE13, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Does production have to be produced BEFORE you build. The rule book doesn't really say one way or another.
In the case of Engineering where one of your cities can do 2 actions.
Lets say I have 10 Production. For my first build I buy a building that costs 5 production and gives me 2 more production on the board.
So now for my second build do I have 7 production or only 5?
I say 5 because a building shouldn't be able to production production the turn it was build.
However, you can use a resource prodcued by another city in the same turn so why not buildings? At least that was the other players argument.
The rule book doesn't say you can and doesn't say you can't do this.
I think production should be counted before you build, and that's all you get for the turn.

Iirc about the Engineering tech it says that "you may split the production in a city once per turn". Maybe not an exact quote but that's the gist of it i believe. What that means is not that you get two actions with the current city but rather that you may build two things simultainously, provided you have enough "hammers" to do so in the first place. Or, to straight up answer your question as written, you would have 5 production left.

Fnoffen said:

Iirc about the Engineering tech it says that "you may split the production in a city once per turn". Maybe not an exact quote but that's the gist of it i believe. What that means is not that you get two actions with the current city but rather that you may build two things simultainously, provided you have enough "hammers" to do so in the first place. Or, to straight up answer your question as written, you would have 5 production left.

I Think what " Fnoffen " meens is that you DON't have 2 actions … if (like in your example) you have 7 hammers and produse a building at cost 5, then you have 2 left … Usualy the 2 are lost because you may only build once, but with that card in play you can instead bye someting at cost of 2 hammers….

Not realy any good: But say you have 10 hammers then you can buy 2 times 5 hammers .. The card is realy great in the later stages of the game where some citys can have lige 15-20 hammers …

Spells.dk said:

Fnoffen said:

I Think what " Fnoffen " meens is that you DON't have 2 actions � if (like in your example) you have 7 hammers and produse a building at cost 5, then you have 2 left � Usualy the 2 are lost�because you may only build once,� but with that card in play you can instead bye someting at cost of 2 hammers�.

Not realy any good: But say you have 10 hammers then you can buy 2 times 5 hammers .. The card is realy great in the later stages of the game where some citys can have lige 15-20 hammers �

�

Also, OT, I HATE the interaction between the forum software and my Android phones web browser…