Star Wars: The Inter-Connected Movies

By mouthymerc, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Probably won't happen, but it is nice to dream. What with the success of the Marvel movies and the bringing together of characters in the Avengers, it would be cool to see something similar done with the Star Wars universe. Dark Horse did the Vector storyline a few years ago with a story which crossed four different eras in the Star Wars timeline (Knights of the Old Republic, Dark Times, Rebellion Era, and Legacy Era). It would be cool to see some stand alone movies that either did something similar or along the same lines but maybe in the same era. And they could be all original characters or original stories drawing on already established characters.

As much as i am looking forward to the new trilogy, I am looking more forward to the one-shot movies promised about about other characters in the Star Wars universe.

mouthymerc said:

As much as i am looking forward to the new trilogy, I am looking more forward to the one-shot movies promised about about other characters in the Star Wars universe.

I would actually prefer one-shot movies then Episodes 7-9. The story of the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker has already been told. It's complete as is. Forget Episodes 7+. If you do wish to advance the timeline and have a movie about the children of Star Wars Episode 1-6, call it something new like Heirs of the Force Episodes 1 to 3, not Star Wars 7-9.

Yes I agree. It is why I am not a fan of much of the fiction following Luke, Leia and Han. I much prefer other stories. I've read little of the Star Wars books and only a couple of books with the main characters, one being Splinter of the Mind's Eye when it came out. I've read other ones like the Bounty Hunter trilogy and the first two books on Darth Bane and the Lost Tribe. I love the Legacy Era trades from Dark Horse too but more fore the characters other than Cade. Gonna check out the new Legacy Era comics once they get into trades too even though the main character is a Solo decendant. But yes I would prefer one-shots more than another trilogy.

Sturn said:

mouthymerc said:

I would actually prefer one-shot movies then Episodes 7-9. The story of the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker has already been told. It's complete as is. Forget Episodes 7+. If you do wish to advance the timeline and have a movie about the children of Star Wars Episode 1-6, call it something new like Heirs of the Force Episodes 1 to 3, not Star Wars 7-9.

Well, I can see a case being made for 7 thru 9 dealing with the aftermath of Anakin's actions during his time as Darth Vader. I doubt the galaxy went right back to being a happy shiny place even in George's vision of things after the Emperor died, so there may be a lot of lingering resentment, especially if word gets out that Vader used to the famous "Hero with No Fear" and that Luke is the son of one of the most feared symbols of Imperial oppression in the galaxy. If anything, people might be watching Luke to see if he's going to wind up like his father; after all, Anakin did a lot of heroic things during the Clone Wars, and look how he turned out, so there may well be people who see Luke as a potential bomb waiting to explode. Especially if Luke starts delving into why his father chose to become a Sith Lord; we the audience know that Luke's a pure-hearted hero, but the galactic populace doesn't.

To say nothing of the possible damage to Leia's role as a trusted leader if it gets leaked that she's the daughter of this same reviled monster.

I've read today (can't remember the source) that Disney is going to do movies outside of the 7-9 episodes, with spin-off characters.

aljovin said:

I've read today (can't remember the source) that Disney is going to do movies outside of the 7-9 episodes, with spin-off characters.

http://starwars.com/news/new-spinoff-films-set-to-expand-the-star-wars-galaxy.html

The Star Wars cinematic galaxy is about to experience a Big Bang. Lucasfilm is officially announcing new spinoff films that will expand the mythos and depths of the Star Wars universe in previously unexplored ways.
One of the standalone films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and co-writer of Return of the Jedi while the other will be penned by Simon Kinberg, writer of Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The movies will be separate from the upcoming Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, on which Kasdan and Kinberg are also consulting, and are expected to be released sometime after Episode VII. Each standalone film will focus on a specific character, and two spinoff films are currently confirmed.
In a call to investors, Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, revealed while the original focus was on the highly-anticipated sequel trilogy, the idea of spinoff films was bandied about early and the additional films are now becoming a reality. "We are in development of a few standalone films," he said, "that are not part of the Star Wars saga…there are now creative entities working on developing scripts for what would be those standalone films."
Stay tuned to StarWars.com as more exciting developments unfold.
--
I want to see
1: The Zack Snyder shameless Jedi fanservice wuxia movie
2: The actual rebels shooting at actual Imperials with actual X-Wings and actual TIE fighters and actual AT-ATs and actual Star Destroyers movie.

ErikB said:

1: The Zack Snyder shameless Jedi fanservice wuxia movie

Ah yes, the whispered "Seven Jedi" movie. We may yet see him direct a Star Wars movie even if only one of the one-shots being bandied about. One being a movie about Yoda in his earlier days. A couple others about Han or Boba in their early days. Only time will tell.