Questions on Level 80 Creation spell Chimera

By Wild Rose, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

So first so every one knows what the spell says

Effect: The caster, or whomever he designates, ceases to be a natural being to become a Being Between Worlds with a Gnosis of 25, enjoying all the advantages and disadvantages that implies. He also obtains 150 additional DP to use to choose between Essential Abilities and powers from the Creation of Beings, described in Chapter 26. It also permits him to choose up to 50 DP in Disadvantages or penalties to obtain additional points. Excess DP raises the Character Level. In case of partial improvement, if for instance he only gets 170 DP, the character still improves two levels, but when he goes up another level he will receive 30 additional DP to use. This spell only works on Natural creatures and so cannot be cast on Being Between Worlds or Spirits to increase their abilities. All the powers and gifts acquired through this spell depend directly on the physical body of the individual, and so if by any means he returns to his prior state, or his soul transmigrates to another body or form, he automatically loses the advantages received.

So here are my questions-

1: If a being obtains 260 additional DP through Chimera and 100 more through the disadvantage DP for a total of 360 does that raise him/her up 3(260) or 4(360) levels?

2:Because of excess DP raising the Character Level does said character gain all bonuses that he/she would normally gain per level from class? Such as the 100 Zeon per level for Wizards.

3: Would said character also gain the bonus CP from leveling up (Example-Wizard casts Chimera on herself at level 4, and through chimera earns enough DP to get her to level 8, there are 2 additional CP given one at level 6 and one at level 8)

I cannot for the life of me figure these questions out myself and there is no explentation in any of the current books I have access to (that being the core book, GMs tool kit, Gaia, Arcana, and Dominus) so any help on this would be appreciated.

1. You would gain 3 levels from your example. The dp from drawbacks does not "add too" your total dp, think of it as counter-cost dp.

2. Yes, you gain all innate bonuses for level gain, such as extra lfp, init., mk, primary and secondary bonuses.

3. Yes, all level dependant benefits, such as CP and increase to presence.

Keep in mind, the inherent weakness of Chimera, which a crafty GM can use against you unless you prepare well: Your summonable. Chimera turns you into a being between worlds that has a gnosis of 25, and allows you to be affected by summoning abilities. There are ways to "help resist" summoning abilities, but there isn't a lot. Anything that would raise magic resist (beyond presence and power, such as the increased supernatural resistances ability, or spells that increase resistances) will be added to the difficulty of summoning abilities against you. Also, some of the abilities to help you "hide" from detection sources can help, if they can't find you, or remember you, they can't summon you is the idea behind that one.

Conversly, I have a question for anyone else that sees this, with the dp from Chimera, can you ONLY purchase creature abilities, or can you also spend the dp on primary/secondary stuff?

I'd definitely only allow to buy creature abilities and powers, but I'm not really sure about it being "official ruling".

As for the first question in this thread, Chimera is made much simpler (allowing only multiples of 100DPs) in Core Exxet. You can find an explanation of how magic works and a translation of all spells from Core Exxet in a topic I did a while ago on this forum.

Any DP gained from the use of Chimera/Spiritual Existance/Surpass Death can ONLY be used on Essential Abilities and Powers described in Chapter 26. That means that you cannot increase any primary/supernatural/secondary abilities with that DP unless you can buy it from Chapter 26.

I would say "only creature power" that said, its one of things in Anima that (in my humble oppinion) can really unbalance the gameā€¦

Out of curiosity, can you buy inate magic more then once? If so dose it cost more each time? I can't find anything from the book so I'm assuming it's the same as the advantage. I'm assuming as well that you can buy natural knolge for different paths each time you buy it.

I was hoping that someone more experienced in magic might come to answer, but here is what I have found:

1) Based on the description under the Abilities section, I would say that, by raw, you could not. However, I am sure that a GM would be fine with allowing multiple uses of Natural Knowledge.

2) Improved Innate is a little trickier, mostly because the player Advantage has multiple levels, while the creature Ability does not. I would say that it could be bought once, and functions as the level 2 Advantage. I have not compared the DP cost of it though, so this one is uncertain.

Edited by Nurddude

Before I get into anything else, let's just make a thing or two absolutely clear. Per official Anima Studios posts, you do gain your normal bonuses when you level up, but can't use your Chimera DP to buy anything except for Essential Abilities and Creature Powers. That post is found here , so you all can enjoy it. I know that the main Chimera discussion was years ago, but I figure anyone new might be looking for information and I don't want them to miss out. Some people handle this differently than others, but that's the official bump.

As to Core Exxet making Chimera simpler, it technically does, but at the same time the DP for disadvantages is still "up to" a certain amount of DP. While this might imply you need to hit the 100 marks, given that we have rules for what happens when you get below the threshold, I don't see the need to force people to have to take 100 DP of disadvantages just because it rounds out nicely. Disadvantage DP is not a 'counter cost' as Drake suggested (which makes no sense at all anyways, since it's bonus DP adding to a pool of bonus DP), it's just a way to get more points without casting a higher-level version of the same spell. Same spell, same type of DP, same rules.

As for the more recent questions posed here, I reference you to another Anima Studios post on the same subject, which states that Essential Abilities are always tiered to the 1st degree of a given advantage . This is directly in line with the text above the Magical and Psychic advantages which states "All of them are equivalent to the more basic abilities that are gained by investing points" (English Core 285; Core Exxet 305). In combination with the text for Advantages on the previous pages, this suggests that "Unless the description states otherwise, each Advantage can only be acquired once" (English Core 284; Core Exxet 304). That being said, let's all not forget to take a quick look at Infinite Orb from Those Who Walked (page 128) which has "Magic Recovery 3." There are a host of other examples too of creatures breaking the rules I just laid out, but that's the beauty of Anima.

So, I know you're asking yourself now "What the H-E-Single Hockey Stick, Tyr?" But the answer is very simple, and both the author and the book provide us the way out. The last post I linked, at the very top, says that it's all just guidelines. The book also has a beautiful section on page 222 of the English Core (CE 240) entitled "Changing the Rules," which says that if it doesn't work for you, or if you need to slip out of the established guidelines to do what you need to, then do it. In the end, the 1st degree and can't be bought multiple times are both that, guidelines. That... or you could simply take the official examples as the new law, in which case you can obviously take things like Magical Advantages multiple times without penalty.

Hope this helps, and happy gaming.

Edited by TyrHawk

And it is Tyr to the rescue! A far more useful answer than my own.

I humbly do what I can, Nurddude (or do you prefer Nurd? ND? Jason?). Just glad to be of help. ;)

I humbly do what I can, Nurddude (or do you prefer Nurd? ND? Jason?). Just glad to be of help. ;)

Scratch Jason, but the others all work.