Is a living card game collectible?

By Luftwaffe Flak, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Dwnhmcntryboy said:

However since each asylum pack ius only 10 bucks you would be able to catch up to him quickly and have the EXACT same cardpool.

With everyone having the exact same cards it comes down to tallent and creativity. Virtualy no rare chasing. Yes, you have to buy all 3 asylum packs to get all 3 rares but they are guaranteed in every pack since all packs are 40 cards fixed. 30$ and you have a complete playset of all the cards you need for that set.

IMO you can't go wrong with CoC.

As an old COC player looking at the new developments of LCG COC the following questions arises:

• How will future tournaments rule about older cards, the so called legacy cards. Are they prohibited to play with? The idea of only one coreset and a monthly assylum pack with 20 new cards sounds money-saving. However when older cards will still be admitted in tournaments, people who lack these cards will probably always loose.
  • Will there actually be a new assylum pack every month? These assylum packs are around for a while but i cant remember they came out every month or so.

Darkman said:

• Will there actually be a new assylum pack every month? These assylum packs are around for a while but i cant remember they came out every month or so.

Welcome back, Darkman! So far the AP's have been developed individually, as stand alone expansions. However, from Spawn of the Sleeper on, there is a cycle collectively known as " Summons of the Deep Expansion " which will have a new "episode" each month in the form of an Asylum Pack that can be enjoyed as a part of the collective whole. So, Summons of the Deep is a 120 card expansion, but instead of being released all at once in randomized packs, as the blocks before, they're launched as fixed decks in 6 steps.

Marius said:

Darkman said:

Welcome back, Darkman! So far the AP's have been developed individually, as stand alone expansions. However, from Spawn of the Sleeper on, there is a cycle collectively known as " Summons of the Deep Expansion " which will have a new "episode" each month in the form of an Asylum Pack that can be enjoyed as a part of the collective whole. So, Summons of the Deep is a 120 card expansion, but instead of being released all at once in randomized packs, as the blocks before, they're launched as fixed decks in 6 steps.

This a such an outstanding concept. My friends and I have agreed to each only purchase the same number of decks we can afford a month -- to keep options even and our ability to hold fun, "fair" games consistent.

Looking forward to it.

Dwnhmcntryboy said:

The backs are different to express a new direction the game is taking. If you really want to you can do like me and buy all of the older cards.

Or buy card sleeves. gui%C3%B1o.gif

In some asylum packs, won't the 10 singles be story cards? Probably not worth buying 3 of those!

Amalgam Veritas said:

In some asylum packs, won't the 10 singles be story cards? Probably not worth buying 3 of those!

Hence I didn't expect any new Story Cards until I heard of the Core Set. AP's are unlikely to feature Story Cards in the current format, for the reason you mentioned. ;)

Marius said:

Amalgam Veritas said:

Hence I didn't expect any new Story Cards until I heard of the Core Set. AP's are unlikely to feature Story Cards in the current format, for the reason you mentioned. ;)

10 "rares." Would it be a safe assumption that 7 belong to the factions and maybe 2 or 3 to the story line. That way over the course of the 6 parts of the AP, you get a fuill 10 story cards?

The story cards are in the starter, not the Asylum Packs.

Just a trivial point, but no one has pointed out that you also need to by three of the Core sets if you want 3 of every new card. Or pick the original versions up elsewhere.

Cheers,

Justin

The_Big_Show said:

Right. But they will never have new story cards? Aren't the APs supposed to tell a story?

ColtsFan76 said:

The_Big_Show said:

Right. But they will never have new story cards? Aren't the APs supposed to tell a story?

I'll be very surprised if they do. Even the stories in the old sets had very little if anything to do with the stories running through the expansions. The stories are told on the game cards flavour texts.

Sorry for reviving this thread, but it seemed better than posting an entirely new one...

I played the CCG for a while when it was fairly new, and I recently picked up the new game - I must say it's even more lovely now.

I was just wondering if any cards from the core set will be reprinted in the asylum packs, or if they will be available some other way? There are some cards I would like multiple copies of, but It's a bit pricey to pick up another entire core set....

I agree with you Strange Librarian... it is a pretty big sticking point. I'd rather have random packs than have to buy 3 core sets and then be stuck with a bunch of extra nonsense that is essentially garbage? I mean the domain drain statues are nice, but I don't need 3 sets of them...

Shouldn't the LCG deck construction rules and the expansion sets mesh? Or at least sell a supplement pack that provides the cards to make a full construction set that doesn't include all the other stuff?

To a lesser degree, the idea that you have to buy 3 expansion sets every month is also slightly skewed because I've noticed the expansion sets include 3 copies of some cards and 1 copy of other cards - so 3 expansion sets would then leave me with 6 extra copies of some cards.

I guess I just don't understand why they don't take the concept all the way - either in deck construction rules or in how they package the sets.. I love the game as a casual game - I also like Game of Thrones, but the LCG concept is still a little bit clunky for competitive play because of the way it is sold.. mainly because of so many key cards in the core set I would want to use to build a competitive deck...

If FFG packaged the expansions with every card in triplicate, and sold a supplemental pack to bring the core set up to competitive deckbuilding play set - it would totally satisfy me, and those who wanted to play only casually could still just get the core set and whatever expansions they wanted...

Anyone agree?

So far, zero of the coreset cards are reprinted in any of the asylum packs. I don't expect them ever to be, as the outcry against it would be loud. $40 retail for 165 different cards is only $0.25 each, not TOO bad, but if you want additional copies of a only few cards, you might resort to purchase of the appropriate card stock fed into the excellent color copiers at Kinkos. With opaque card sleeves, in casual games, such home-made cards are indistinguishable from the official cards.

Chick

Great thread, gang!

After being a long-time MtG player, I jumped into the CCG some years ago solely out of my passion for Lovecraft and the CofC RPG. However, lack of players in my community and the various responsibilities that come from being a "grown up" never gave me many opportunities to play. :-(

Now that I'm settled a little bit in my new home in Boston, I've got the itch again, only to find that this newer, different-on-the-back LCG has now taken hold. This thread has been helpful in sorting out the changes, as was this article:

javascript:void(0);/*1252361833393*/

I'm not a collector. I play for fun. I DO like being able to get the "cool" cards without spending a lot of cash, as the LCG format implies. However, I also enjoy the idea of coming into a game and discovering new cards.... You know, that thrill of seeing a cool picture or a new name... "Wait... There's a Brown Jenkin card?!??" and leaning over to read what it does.....

I'm also wondering: Have ALL of the old, CCG cards made their way into the LCG format, yet?

When it comes to the new backing on the cards, I might have to just sleeve my stuff if I don't end up finding the LCG equivalent.... In contrast to the deck-building and strategy-themed Magic: The Gathering, I really just liked seeing my favorite Cthulhu characters interacting on the table. It's a quick-fix for my cravings for fiction/horror nights of interaction.

I'm also anxious to jump into Arkham Horror.

And if there's anybody reading this in Boston... Let's talk. I'm in my new digs and looking to get out and meet some more players like me.

Cheers, everyone!

The_Big_Show said:

ColtsFan76 said:

The_Big_Show said:

I'll be very surprised if they do. Even the stories in the old sets had very little if anything to do with the stories running through the expansions. The stories are told on the game cards flavour texts.

New story cards will appear in the Secrets of Arkham expansion.

Okay, but lets look at the big picture. Magic the gathering releases new sets every three months. Booster boxes are about $100-$120 depending on if it's a core set etc. So lets add up the money. For Call of Cthulhu you pay $30 a month and in 3 months that will be $90, which isn't too far off from what you'd be paying for Magic. Now granted, you wouldn't be getting the full set when buying a booster box, BUT with Magic you can buy single cards. I can't find anywhere that sells single Call of Cthulhu cards, which is a huge down fall in my eyes. I also would love to play, but no card stores around here sell the game, or have anyone who plays :( I can't even find any websites on it other than here and maybe one or two others. I wish I could find videos of other players playing the game, not just the tutorial video.

MechSpike said:

I can't find anywhere that sells single Call of Cthulhu cards, which is a huge down fall in my eyes.

www.eaglecard.org/

MechSpike said:

Okay, but lets look at the big picture. Magic the gathering releases new sets every three months. Booster boxes are about $100-$120 depending on if it's a core set etc. So lets add up the money. For Call of Cthulhu you pay $30 a month and in 3 months that will be $90, which isn't too far off from what you'd be paying for Magic. Now granted, you wouldn't be getting the full set when buying a booster box, BUT with Magic you can buy single cards. I can't find anywhere that sells single Call of Cthulhu cards, which is a huge down fall in my eyes.

This has since changed. The older AP are still this format, but evrything from the Yuggoth Contract on are going to be $15 for a full play set. Each AP will contain a full playset. So the price just got slashed in half there. Hopefully, when older AP's go out of print, they will reprint them in the newer collation format.

As for people selling singles, ebay is a good place to look. I see people selling single LCG CoC cards there all the time. Its not a fluid market as is for M:tG but then again Magic is a much bigger game with a much larger following and thus more need for a secondary market.

I think the LCG is so very nice, it is just the thing i have been looking for in a CCG. And it is great way to sell these kind of games, because if you are not the Cash devouring all-father of CCGs; MtG you will often not be able to keep the game afloat as a company.

I am furiosly buying up everything for the game (mostly because me and my friends are only gonna be playing with my cards) and let me share with you an experince i have had that really drives home why the LCG format rocks.

I just recently began playing magic again, after a five year break, because of the kids i work with are very into it, and I would like to have deck that was competetive with thier decks that used recent cards. So i spend around 470 $ (prices on MtG are higher in Denmark) buying two booster displays and some singles. With the singles I was able to make 1 viable deck...

Now I spend about the same buying APs and the core set for CoC and i was able to build at least 7 decks (one for each faction) and I wil most likely be able to build more decks with cards I have left.

So in conclusion I love the LCG format so much!