Line of sight

By Shiftypower, in Tide of Iron

First of all ello new tide of iron gamer here :)

Okay so me and a few mates have tried the game a couple of times and we always end up arguing about line of sight… Because we all interpreted the rule otherwise… Ending up stretching the length of the game by hours… and even a few times not even being able to end it… (seriously from 18.30 till 3.30)

This might sound stupid and be straight foward for alot of people but we don't seem to come to an agreement. Some suggest taking a piece of cord and draw a line from one hex to the other hex (from the middlepoint) and if there is any blocking terrain in the way you can't see it.

I just draw a straight line from one of the points of the hex to the other hex and look for the first blocking terrain hex you come across and then measure it from there…

The rules in the book don't really clear it up :) and the pictures only make it more confusing for us :)

Now if someone could be so nice and tell us a good way to draw line of sight and try to explain it as clear as possible so we can settle this pretty important rule and get on with the game! which is very good i think!

Shiftypower said:

First of all ello new tide of iron gamer here :)

Okay so me and a few mates have tried the game a couple of times and we always end up arguing about line of sight… Because we all interpreted the rule otherwise… Ending up stretching the length of the game by hours… and even a few times not even being able to end it… (seriously from 18.30 till 3.30)

This might sound stupid and be straight foward for alot of people but we don't seem to come to an agreement. Some suggest taking a piece of cord and draw a line from one hex to the other hex (from the middlepoint) and if there is any blocking terrain in the way you can't see it.

I just draw a straight line from one of the points of the hex to the other hex and look for the first blocking terrain hex you come across and then measure it from there…

The rules in the book don't really clear it up :) and the pictures only make it more confusing for us :)

Now if someone could be so nice and tell us a good way to draw line of sight and try to explain it as clear as possible so we can settle this pretty important rule and get on with the game! which is very good i think!

Google tde of iron LOS examples. That should help. A while after the game was first published some visually supported docuemts were released to clear up this matter (mostly hill related).

Right so this image helped me alot, so clearly you measure from one center to another center of a hex and if there is any blocking hex between them you can't see it.

Although one question from hex A2 to G1 shouldn't you take hex F1 instead of the wooden hex infront of them?

pic571960_md.jpg

Shiftypower said:

Right so this image helped me alot, so clearly you measure from one center to another center of a hex and if there is any blocking hex between them you can't see it.

Although one question from hex A2 to G1 shouldn't you take hex F1 instead of the wooden hex infront of them?

pic571960_md.jpg

You're right. Note that with hills/ i.e. different levels of locking terrain (buildings, woods etc. are 0, level 1 hills are 1 and level 2 hills are 2) everything gets a bit more complicated!

I don't quite seem to get your question. If LOS passes along a hex of blocking terrain it is NOT blocked, unless it is blocked on both sides, if that's what you mean. For example, there would be no LOS going from A1 to the hex North-East of G1, as G5 would block it on one side and F1 on the other.

Right i know it might be difficult to understand my question :) but english isn't my mothertongue so it's a bit harder to expres myself :) sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

But i think i fully understand now :) one quick question about the image though does hex A5 have los to hex G1?

Yes, it does. There are no obstructions.

No thats not quite right. the rule you're quoting is only if the line of sight runs straight along a Hex side. the the example A2 to G1 the line is angled ever so slightly [probably more slight than it really is due to the camera angle] but noticably so, that it doesn't run straight along the wooded hex edge in front of G1. Therefore treat the wooded hex infront of G1 as the only blocking terrain for A2-G1 LOS