Miniature Painting for n00bs

By ced1106, in Merchant of Venus

Currently painting up the game pieces, so figured I'd share some thoughts.

If you haven't painted, know that space ship vehicles are MUCH easier to paint than human figures. If you're cheap, go to your local hobby crafts store or even Walmart. At Walmart, you can get an acrylic set, and a brush assortment (make sure there's at least one detailed brush, like a spotter). At a hobby store, you can get metallic paints of the four spaceship colors, and optionally gold, silver, and blue.

When painting, apply thin layers of paint. Don't glop it on. More serious hobby painters will use a primer (I used clear gesso) and thinners, but these are just space ships, so, at most, thin your paint with a little water. Add a brushful of water at a time, until the paint doesn't clump on the paintbrush.

After your first layer, or basecoat, you'll want to add details. Color in details with CONTRASTING colors, a strong "dark" one against a weak "light" one . For example, you can use red with the orange and white spaceships, white with the green and red ones, blue with the white shipetc. Stick to two or three colors on a miniature.

For non-beginner painters, I noticed that brown ink (eg. QuickShade ink) made the ships look less toy-like.

You only have four miniatures to paint! And if you make a "mistake" with your color scheme, play a game and see if anyone else notices. If not, you didn't make a mistake!

I should mention another cheap alternative for the artistically uninclinded: 005 micron pens. You can get a set of colored pens for under $10 on Amazon, and there are other pens specifically for coloring models. Essentially, these fine-tipped pens contain ink which give you some time to dry. You'll still want to use paint for the basecoat, but the pens should work for fine details. Keep the brush damp and handy -- you won't always get the ink in the right place, and can even use the brush to "smudge" the ink to create subtle shadows. After painting, you can use the pens as, well, pens!