1st night… 1st build… (Did I do this right?)

By Guest, in General Discussion

Lucian Zenlav

Species: Human (near-human)

Career: Bounty Hunter

Brawn 2, Presence 2, Intellect 2, Cunning 2, Agility 2, Willpower 2

Wound Threshold: 13, Stress Threshold 12

Defense: 1 / 2 vs ranged, Soak: 4

Skills: Astrogation 1, Discipline 1, Mechanics 1, Perception 1, Pilot (Planet) 1, Pilot (Space) 1, Ranged (Light) 2, Vigilance 1

Specialization Trees:

Force Sensitive Exile: Uncanny Reactions; Uncanny Senses

Gadgeteer: Defensive Stance; Toughened > Jury Rigged > Armor Mastery

Force Powers:

(Force Rating 1)

Influence: Control Upgrade "These are not the droids your looking for…"

Sense: Control Upgrade (danger sense)

Obligations: 15 - Family (Mandlorian), 10 - Duty (Resol'nare), 5 - Addiction (Glitterstim)

Motivations: Overthrow the Empire / Rebuild Mandalorian ideals (Secret Motivation: Understand the Force)

Gear: Armored Clothing (Defense 1/2 ranged; Soak 2), Breathmask, Comlink (handheld), Datapad, Heavy Blaster Pistol (filled front sight, smoothed frame), Scanner Goggles, Utility Belt, Vibrosword

Originaly Lucian Zenlav was constructed under WotC rules, but he came together better here. An heir to the Zenlav name (MandalMotors), I pictured him as a Star Wars version of Pual Muad'Dib (glitterstim seemed the perfect choice here). Much of his equipment is intended to be a portion of his armor (my attempt at something Mandalorian) such as the: breath mask, comlink, datapad, scanner goggles and utility belt. For a Mandalorian, his armor is a bit understated but effective. His force skills were partially taught him by his mother and he keeps them well hidden. His group uses a Firespay (of which somewhere I heard MandalMotors came to actually produce I few… probobly just myth)

I believe everything is correct, but that is what I am asking :) He is an intersting character, who I actually like more set in the less "fantastic" Rebelion Era. This build… which I am using as of this week… Was an example for me, of how to use the existing unmodified rules, to achieve an "unusual" result. Anyway… Let me know what you all think!

Update (Sorry) Replace: Astrogate 1 for Melee 1

Also forgot "Defensive Stance" in the Gadgeteer Tree, which can bring both Defenses (melee/ranged) to 2.

I think I counted 110 XP. Seems kosher to me.

I would caution against not improving any characteristics, simply because it's a lot harder early in the game to get any successful checks when only rolling 2 dice.

But other than that, looks solid.

Nope… Totals 115 XP (+5 from an additional Obligation, Addiction in this case; the other beggining Obligation, Duty - Resol'Nare, provided additional starting funds +2500 cr). I understand characteristics are a bit harder to raise after creation, but they don't seem to be as ENORMOUSLY important as they have been in other games… So, I decided on filling the basics of a conceptual idea. Trying to make a reasonable version of Mandalorian armor was tough but all in all, I think the character can soak slug thrower pistol rounds… that seems close enough. While using "Defensive Stance" or the Vibrosword, the build has a Defense of 2 for both Melee (3 Melee if using both) and Ranged attacks and a Soak of 4… Add that to the Sense power 1st Control Upgrade, which increases the difficulty of 1 attack targeting the character per round by 1, and the build has solid defenses. 2 ranks in the builds primary offensive skill as well as the ability to bend minds… Little things like Uncanny Vigilance and being a Glitterstim addict can get a little fun as well (potentially 4 blue squares automatically on Vigillance checks)… and I feel it captures a good amount of that Muad'Dib "feel" without feeling like I was just copying the character.

I do like that this system has allowed me to create "flawed" characters again… A "spice" addict Mandalorian with a recognizable name and an overly developed sense of tradition, who belongs to a family and culture that has had so very much taken from them and fallen so far from whence they came. A character who has begun to examine the history of his people greatest foes… the Jedi, now lost to the annals of history, to try and understand the Force and its growing impact on his life. A character who has deep reasons for fighting the Empire (the occupation of MandalMotors, the Sith's historical abuse of the Mandalorian's while pretending to be allies, etc.) some selfish others altruistic… You know… an actual "complex" being ;)

Of note… Lucian's armor has a look much more remeniscient of the original Mandalorian Crusaders (helmet resembling more of a mask and hood, highly individualized, etc.) but is very understated (other then the helmet) when compared to most Mandalorian designs, allowing it to be worn while raising few eyebrows in most situations.

Also… Thank you FFG for just allowing us to say "may datapad is built into my armor's left gauntlet…" without having a whole other book telling us how to do it!!! :)

Toughened also raises Wound Threshold to 14 not just 13. Too many mistakes! Yeesh!!! ;)

Mac User… Using OpenOffice… No go on that Excel stuff… Will not even load (character sheet)… or function (die roller)… Thank you for the heads up though!