Questionable Jedi

By Badmojojojo, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

Affiliation = Smugglers and Spies

2 x Questionable Contacts

2 x A Hero's Journey

2 x In You Must Go

2 x Last Minute Rescue

2 x The Secret of Yavin 4

This deck is ridiculously powerful! I cannot beat it with any dark side combo. Please help me find it's weakness.

You have 3 heavy hitters all playable on turn 1 at a cost of 4 or less. They can all be enhanced for pain. C3P0, Counter Stroke, the Guardians, and the objectives all keep the big guys safe to strike. It is slow and steady.

A Sith control deck could probably give it a good workout. Try 2x each of Counsel, Interrogations, Fall, Web, and Bespin Exchange with Scum affiliation card. 4x Force Choke and 2x Lightning with Vader should give you enough removal that even Return and Redemption can't keep everyone on the table, and you have enough Tactics that you can focus down anyone remaining with Blast icons. You should be drawing enough that winning Edge won't be an issue, either.

Xenu's Paradox said:

A Sith control deck could probably give it a good workout. Try 2x each of Counsel, Interrogations, Fall, Web, and Bespin Exchange with Scum affiliation card. 4x Force Choke and 2x Lightning with Vader should give you enough removal that even Return and Redemption can't keep everyone on the table, and you have enough Tactics that you can focus down anyone remaining with Blast icons. You should be drawing enough that winning Edge won't be an issue, either.

Tried that very deck. It got destroyed 3 out of 3 games. I don't think Boba Fett is very good without his armor and the rest of that objective set is weak. Think I should take the opposite approach and mix the navy with Sith. Maybe a vehicle heavy deck can rush it down?

Hey mate is it yourself or a group that is having trouble beating that deck?

While I can see that the deck seems somewhat resilient I don't think it looks unbeatable at all. While there are some powerful synergies in your list, it just doesn't look as powerful as you suggest. It does have some weaknesses that you should look towards exploiting. First, really take a good look at the timing windows of the game so you can understand the framework of timing. Then play a SITH deck. I think you will start to notice you will win more games. I have noticed that most players complain about being swept when they don't truly realize how the game works. My two cents…

I found the problem with the Sith deck I had that now consistently beats the Jedi deck and the basic weakness with the Jedi deck. First the new Sith deck:

Affiliation: Scum and Villainy

2 x Heart of the Empire

2 x Emperor's Web

2 x Fall of the Jedi

(argh, cardgamedb just went down, need to try and remember the card names…)

2 x Counsel of the Sith

2 x Bespin Exchange

This new Sith deck does not rely on card capturing. By dumping the droids from Cruel Interrogations it has more reliable defenders. The classic card advantage strategy in this game is not as strong as in other games because you always draw a slew of cards every turn.

The Jedi's weakness was the low objective damage potential. Unless you get 2 or 3 enhancements on Yoda then you are maybe doing 1 or 2 damage a turn…if that even gets through. If the Sith have Boba Fett with Mandalorian Armor, just forget about attacking unless you got a big crew. With that known here is my new Jedi deck:

Affiliation: Rebel Alliance

2 x Hero's Journey (Luke)

2 x In You Must Go (Yoda)

2 x Forgotten Heroes (Obi Wan)

2 x Rescue Mission (Redemption)

2 x (RA Home One's objective set)

The point of this deck is to get some big elite guys controlling the force and defending for a few turns. Then when you have a couple damage scattered from the force struggles, switch to offense and strike hard!

Heart is Sith only, so that deck isn't legal.

JustinMcBride said:

First, really take a good look at the timing windows of the game so you can understand the framework of timing. Then play a SITH deck. I think you will start to notice you will win more games. I have noticed that most players complain about being swept when they don't truly realize how the game works. My two cents…

A well timed interrogation can be crippling. I was playing with your brother and he pointed out the action window between the draw step and playing units. I now hold interrogation so i can play it in that window and discard their best card/unit. if you can get a big unit that usually ruins their turn and gives you valuable info about their force icons and fate cards.

Xenu's Paradox said:

Heart is Sith only, so that deck isn't legal.

That would explain why it's undefeated. Was starting to wonder why I could not even come close to winning. Sith still seems to have an advantage playing heavy defense.

Took out Heart of the Empire and put in 2 x Shadows of Dathomir. For the Jedi I took out Last Minute Rescue and put in 2 x Forgotten Heroes. Jedi are back to winning, but it makes for close games. Amazing how much more effective the Sith are with Heart of the Empire!

Badmojojojo said:

Affiliation = Smugglers and Spies

2 x Questionable Contacts

2 x A Hero's Journey

2 x In You Must Go

2 x Last Minute Rescue

2 x The Secret of Yavin 4

This deck is ridiculously powerful! I cannot beat it with any dark side combo. Please help me find it's weakness.

You have 3 heavy hitters all playable on turn 1 at a cost of 4 or less. They can all be enhanced for pain. C3P0, Counter Stroke, the Guardians, and the objectives all keep the big guys safe to strike. It is slow and steady.

This LS deck works on single powerful units protected by other cards, It's weaknes is… They will not destroy your 3 objectives too fast, they will try to control You - try to destroy 4 LS objective faster than they destroy your 3. I suggested Imperial Navy as listed there:

IMPERIAL NAVY

2x Death and Despayre

2x Imperial Command

2x Take Them Prisoner

2x Defense Protocol

1x Kuat Reinforcements

1x Reconnaissance Mission

Spot reserved for comments.