Multiplayer solitaire?

By sonicu, in Relic

Hi, I´m looking for a new game to play like Runebound and I saw this game. Because I love W40K universe and Talisman is a game I don't know if you can play like Runebound but I always keep in mind, I open this topic to know your answers about if this game or Talisman can play solitaire without major modifications like Runebound or not.

Well, you can certainly play Talisman solo, I do it every once and a while. I enjoy it, but I can see why others wouldn't. Not having played Relic (since FFG didn't send me a free preview copy :) ), but based on the changes/additions to the system described on the product page, I think it should be ok. For one, they mention specific scenarios, so that my be more solo friendly right there. We'll really have to wait and see, but I will pre-order this with the intent on playing in mostly solo.

madDdog67 said:

I enjoy it, but I can see why others wouldn't.

I don't understand this sentence you said, English is not my mother language avergonzado_alegre .

I have to read the rules to see for myself if Talisman is a game for me, but only one more question: Is there a time in the game works in the way that if it has gone you lose the game, or do you use homemade rules like doom track in Runebound for solitaire experience?

Thanks for your answer.

sonicu said:

madDdog67 said:

I enjoy it, but I can see why others wouldn't.

I don't understand this sentence you said, English is not my mother language avergonzado_alegre .

Well, what I meant by that was that I personally find it a fun game to play solo, I imagine that some other people might not find the game exciting or particularly well suited for solo play since there aren't a lot of really meaningful decisions to have to make.

When I play solo, I just play until someone wins…or i give up :) . I don't use, nor do I know of, a doom counter/track like mechanic for Talilsman like there is for Runebound. You could house rule it pretty easily, though.

One major change between Talisman and Relic that makes it more solo friendly is that the characters cannot directly attack one another. In my mind I don't see why you couldn't simply play two or three characters by yourself and have a good time.

PvP is planned for a later expansion.

Having played Talisman for years, I can safely say that the system works fine for solo play, one or more characters, without any issues. Even when we played Talisman we seldom worried about the PvP system. Sure, there were fights from time to time (esp with the 'one Talisman' variant), but mostly it was a fun race-style game for us.