Power, Control, Despair - an attempt at a 3 affiliation Dark Side build

By Kordos, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

So far my deck ideas have all been pretty offensive based with the only defensive properties being there to protect my heavy hitters and hold objectives

But with the Death Star dial ticking over every turn this gives the Dark Side the prefect opportunity to play a defensive and control strategy

Only problem is - the best cards for this are (currently) across all 3 DS affiliations

I am however, going to attempt to make this work!

So first you have

2 x Take them Prisoner

2 x Bespin Exchange

2 x Cruel Interrogations

these give you your capture objectives and card actions, focus tokens to lock down the enemy, intimidate, enhancement removal and some units

and ignoring resource matches for the moment these 3 objectives and cards has (IMO) really really good synergy

but, we cannot overlook resource matching for ever so we need -

2 x Looking for Droids

Most importantly to ignore resource match requirements but also Viper Droid units to keep in play and the pretty handy 'It's Worse' card

finally I think this deck can benefit from

2 x Shadows of Dathmir

Nightsisters for the force struggle, Disturbance in the force and of course, The Rancor as an ace in the hole

The Hands Blessing is a pretty handy card to have as well

So while not guaranteed I think this deck shouldn't have resource issues and I am pretty keen to give it a go (after I test my Imperial Navy deck)

My only really worry about this deck is that it might not be fun to play against…..

thoughts, opinions? maybe a better 5th objective set than Shadows of Dathmir?

Kordos said:

So far my deck ideas have all been pretty offensive based with the only defensive properties being there to protect my heavy hitters and hold objectives

But with the Death Star dial ticking over every turn this gives the Dark Side the prefect opportunity to play a defensive and control strategy

Only problem is - the best cards for this are (currently) across all 3 DS affiliations

I am however, going to attempt to make this work!

So first you have

2 x Take them Prisoner

2 x Bespin Exchange

2 x Cruel Interrogations

these give you your capture objectives and card actions, focus tokens to lock down the enemy, intimidate, enhancement removal and some units

and ignoring resource matches for the moment these 3 objectives and cards has (IMO) really really good synergy

but, we cannot overlook resource matching for ever so we need -

2 x Looking for Droids

Most importantly to ignore resource match requirements but also Viper Droid units to keep in play and the pretty handy 'It's Worse' card

finally I think this deck can benefit from

2 x Shadows of Dathmir

Nightsisters for the force struggle, Disturbance in the force and of course, The Rancor as an ace in the hole

The Hands Blessing is a pretty handy card to have as well

So while not guaranteed I think this deck shouldn't have resource issues and I am pretty keen to give it a go (after I test my Imperial Navy deck)

My only really worry about this deck is that it might not be fun to play against…..

thoughts, opinions? maybe a better 5th objective set than Shadows of Dathmir?

Counsel of the Sith for in-affiliation resource and card draw, perhaps.

possible, kinda like the 4 nightsisters from 2x Shadows of Dathomir to help control the force struggle though so I don't know if the trade off would be worth it

hmmm consideration though…

I have a similar deck planned and I hope to give it a try today. My version includes 1x Fall of the Jedi and 1x Council of Sith instead of Shadows. I will let you know how it went.

Fbaranow said:

I have a similar deck planned and I hope to give it a try today. My version includes 1x Fall of the Jedi and 1x Council of Sith instead of Shadows. I will let you know how it went.

cool, mine didnt go so well

http://teamcovenant.com/kordos/2013/01/25/session-report-the-2nd/

Only 1 game with it though but I think I may need to change the overall deck structure to something more like yours

To be fair, I would expect this deck to struggle against a vehicle deck as a good chunk of your capturing can only hit characters. Also, capturing in general will work better against decks like Jedi Mains that want to play big characters and recur them with RotJ. Honestly, I don't think this is the strongest DS control option out there, but I do think it could be a good option if your local meta all played Jedi decks.

As mentioned before, this deck isn't good against vehicle decks, also it is not heavy on resources. A friend tried something simliar to this and it didn't hold against the mains Jedi deck.

As mentioned before, this deck isn't good against vehicle decks, also it is not heavy on resources. A friend tried something simliar to this and it didn't hold against the mains Jedi deck.

jss_hobbie said:

That's unfortunate. On paper, that looks like its best match-up. I'm still waiting for the day when I can build my pure Scum capture deck… until then, I guess it will wait.

I'm going to give it another go but I think this deck needs to be rebuilt

Yesterday I went against a pure Jedi deck with:

2x Bespin Exchange

2x Take Them Prisoner

2x Cruel Interrogations

2x Looking for Droids

1x Recon Mission

1x Corporate Exploitation

Won 4 out of 5 games. I know the deck would probably not hold against an Imperial vechicular attack but when I know the opponent will play Jedi, it's a pretty good strategy to just chase them down like animals across the galaxy .

I see absolutely no reason to play this over Sith mains. Honestly I don't see how you win at all unless you consistently draw Boba and Armor and then win every fate battle. With only 1 twist that seems unlikely. Plus, Han and mind trick absolutely wreck this.

I still do not see how 2 looking for droids can help any deck, so far.

geki said:

It is in this deck to help mitigate the resource matching requirements of having 3 affiliations in one deck.

That being said I just don't think we are at the stage that a 3 affiliation deck can work. But it is cool to see people trying out new and very different things.

Toqtamish said:

geki said:

It is in this deck to help mitigate the resource matching requirements of having 3 affiliations in one deck.

That being said I just don't think we are at the stage that a 3 affiliation deck can work. But it is cool to see people trying out new and very different things.

wow some people are real fun police

I already know an Emperor/Vader Sith Deck with its event card recycling engin is the UBER DECK, dbmeboy gets it, this is about trying to make interesting themey decks and have some fun

Unfortunately, I'm somewhat stuck on how to make the deck better without sacrificing the theme. The concept already ties up 8 of your objectives… Maybe 2x Emperor's Web for some extra removal and tossing the Emperor to edge battles?

Actually I would play set 30 over the droid set. You're sacrificing being able to play switch cards by about 6.6% but have a much better double set of cards that plays well with theme and gives you a good fate dump in the squadron. You'll be locked out of Sith cards 7.1% of the time (same for navy), but about 17 of every 20 games you'll be fine.

Kordos said:

2 x Take them Prisoner

2 x Bespin Exchange

2 x Cruel Interrogations

2 x Looking for Droids

2 x Shadows of Dathmir

very nice idea, but Shadows are the weekest Sith objective set, I strongly suggest Imperial Command instead for economy, more good troopers (for Trooper Assault) and Orbital Bombardment, perfect for that swarm of cheap units and necro-droids

I would think that Boba should be able to capture a unit even if his damage would destroy it. The reaction doesn't check for the location of the card.

MarthWMaster said:

I would think that Boba should be able to capture a unit even if his damage would destroy it. The reaction doesn't check for the location of the card.