Questions about the Force

By El_Tonio, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

I see in gribble's excellent reference sheet (V12, p. 2, Step 6: Invest Experience Points) that a character can learn a Force power for 10 XP. It also says that the character "must have a Force Rating of 1 or higher") to do this.

I also see on the last page of an equally excellent Talent Tree document someone posted (also gribble?) that there are four non-career Force options.

My questions are:

(1) How do you get the Force Rating of one or higher.

(2) If you have a Force Rating of 1 or higher, do you then get to start learning Force powers from a Force talent tree of your choice? I'm confused because the reference sheet says 10 points, but some off the talent trees have the typical 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 cost for certain Force powers (so, why just 10… perhaps that is the max for character generation and then you follow standard rules)?

(3) Any other tips on correctly giving a PC a Force point and having Force Powers in the game?

As always, thank you very much for any help you are able to provide.

El_Tonio said:

I see in gribble's excellent reference sheet (V12, p. 2, Step 6: Invest Experience Points) that a character can learn a Force power for 10 XP. It also says that the character "must have a Force Rating of 1 or higher") to do this.

I also see on the last page of an equally excellent Talent Tree document someone posted (also gribble?) that there are four non-career Force options.

My questions are:

(1) How do you get the Force Rating of one or higher.

(2) If you have a Force Rating of 1 or higher, do you then get to start learning Force powers from a Force talent tree of your choice? I'm confused because the reference sheet says 10 points, but some off the talent trees have the typical 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 cost for certain Force powers (so, why just 10… perhaps that is the max for character generation and then you follow standard rules)?

(3) Any other tips on correctly giving a PC a Force point and having Force Powers in the game?

As always, thank you very much for any help you are able to provide.

I'm guessing you don't have the Beta rulebook, which covers this.

Correct; I was unable to get a Beta book. That is why I am asking. Trying to get a jump on things now that I have the beginner game and before the final rules come out next quarter (which I will definitley be ordering). Thanks again for any help you are able to provide.

You gain a Force Rating of 1 by taking the Exile Jedi Career. Within the Talent trees of that Career's Specializations is a Talent that can be used to raise one's Force Rating by 1. But it exists in one Specialization only and, like Dedication, can only be taken once from that Specialization.

Also, there are exactly 3 "Force Powers" in the game, Influence, Move and Sense. You purchase access to these powers for 10XP each, with the pre-requisite of having a Force Rating of 1 or more.

Each "Power" is actually an additional talent tree, and you purchase individual talents within the tree to improve each power as you would for any other tree (i.e.: you pay the cost down the side to buy each talent, and each talent you buy must be int he top row or connected to a talent you have already bought).

Got it… Thanks a ton!