Imperial Navy - Deck building and the Force

By Kordos, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

So I have played a few games with the 'core' decks and brought another set so I can build my own deks now

I'm pretty interested in using the Imperial Navy as my main deck - preference being solely Imperial Navy.

But can it be done? there are plenty of cards for an aggro deck - you can really mix it up with Troopers, Vehicals and direct damage cards

Cards to enhance your units to really put the pounding on the LS

But the force is (currently, the expansions may change this) limited in the IN options, can we Imperial navy commanders make a deck that is competitive in not only engagments but in the force struggle without adding in Sith cards

I have toyed with some deck design but havent had a chance to test any out yet and i've only just started, looking for tips and tricks and opinions from other players

Next months Darth Vader will help somewhat with that but you will also want Vader to be attacking to use his ability to buff up the troops so that might not work too well as then he will be focused and not contributing. Of course if you were to use him once and swing the force to your side and then keep your opponent from being able to take it back then he could still attack as with a tie the force won't change sides (0-0).

Right now though as you noted Imperial Navy has a hard time with the Force Struggle. I think Admiral Motti and Grand Moff Tarkin are the best cards to use as they both have 3 force icons. Devastator does as well but you don't really want that tied up in a force struggle. Grand Moff is the best between the three of them since his ability does not need him to focus and Motti can provide two resources whereas Grand Moff is only one.

I think I am going to have to simply try a deck with and without Grand Moff and see if sheer numbers can work with weak force or not

has anyone tried an Imp Navy 'mono' deck and the results?

I haven't really played with the navy, but thinking thematically, i don't know if they really need to win the struggle to succeed. Yes, there still needs to be some level of committment to create an illusion of a struggle, but swarming units and choking opponent resources through objective destruction seems to be the way to go. After all, if you keep killing or exhausting committed characters or denying resources for them to be played in the first place, you're bound to win a struggle or two, or render the LS damage bonus somewhat ineffective. Besides, the navy has other ways of accelerating the dial.

My navy deck is single faction and does quite good but I never could really get the force on my side as I was playing against the Jedi deck of my friend. I still ended up winning but did it just off of destroying objectives.

Ime Imp Navy is designed to be fast. Play with as many vehicle units as possible between both the Sith and Imp Navy afflications and key off of Kuat Drive Yards and the Endor Outpost (not sure on correct title?).

It is very fast when you do this strategy, but you lose out on edge battles at times. The Force struggle as mention is tough to hold down, but for now I focus on blowing up objectives really fast

Sith/Imp N looks a really **** good combo but thematically I really just want to run Imperial Navy

can't wait to see what the Hoth packs add to the Navy

Here is my Imp Navy Deck

Sith Afflication

Black Assault Squadron x2

Recon Mission

Death & Despayre

Defense Prot x2

Endor Gambit x2

Kuat Reinforcements x2

I'm On the leader is great with Vehicle/ Fighter Units. Recon Mission is great with Kuat for discarding for faster deploy. I didn't see the need for 2 Death & Despayre just for one more extra Devastor.

Thoughts?

jss_hobbie said:

Here is my Imp Navy Deck

Sith Afflication

Recon Mission

Death & Despayre

Defense Prot x2

Endor Gambit x2

Kuat Reinforcements x2

I'm On the leader is great with Vehicle/ Fighter Units. Recon Mission is great with Kuat for discarding for faster deploy. I didn't see the need for 2 Death & Despayre just for one more extra Devastor.

Thoughts?

Looks more efficent than my 'mono' build

I went 2 x Desth and Despayre becuase every card in there is gold

jss_hobbie said:

Here is my Imp Navy Deck

Sith Afflication

Recon Mission

Death & Despayre

Defense Prot x2

Endor Gambit x2

Kuat Reinforcements x2

Thoughts?

I created something similar, but with a copy of Looking For Droids in place of Death and Despayre since the deck's lacking in low-cost units. 2x Viper Probe Droid goes a long way toward helping with that.

Devastor is devastating! That card will win games by itself! How does the light side handle Imp Zerg?

Rogue 4 said:

Here is my Imp Navy Deck

Sith Afflication

Recon Mission

Death & Despayre

Defense Prot x2

Endor Gambit x2

Kuat Reinforcements x2

Thoughts?

Hi

I play almost the same but with 2x Death and Despayre instead of Recon Mission - 2 resource, heat of battle, control room, defense up and Devastator works amazing - It is my favourite deck and probably the most powerful

Teokrata said:

Rogue 4 said:

Here is my Imp Navy Deck

Sith Afflication

Recon Mission

Death & Despayre

Defense Prot x2

Endor Gambit x2

Kuat Reinforcements x2

Thoughts?

Hi

I play almost the same but with 2x Death and Despayre instead of Recon Mission - 2 resource, heat of battle, control room, defense up and Devastator works amazing - It is my favourite deck and probably the most powerful

Heh, I made the exact deck you did (two of everything minus Recon Mission) and it was a beast. If you don't get the Devastator out early, you've still got the TIE swarm working. And both Devastator and Vader's TIE can be used for Force control.

Rouge 4 posted:

Imp Navy Deck

Sith Afflication

Recon Mission

Death & Despayre

Defense Prot x2

Endor Gambit x2

Kuat Reinforcements x2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I am trying out this deck and so far enjoy it's syngery and simplicity, two things i like in any constructed deck. Thank you for posting it!

~Sunsteel

So the overall opinion about the deck is that it synergises well and has good pacing? Sounds like a winner to me!

I love playing the Imp Navy decks - good speed and lots of destuction :) True the force struggle is a lost cause but you don't really need it that much.

Marenar said:

True the force struggle is a lost cause but you don't really need it that much.

Pretty much this. If you can accelerate the clock by destroying objectives you can make up for not holding the force struggle.

I'm having pretty good games with my Imp navy deck listed on the first page

lots of fun to play and it does feel like I am in control of the might of the Empire

Imp navy is probably the main answer to Jedi decks, imo. Hits fast and hard, can drop a serious force in one turn and doesn't really even need the edge half the time.