Descent and D&D Miniatures

By Cut, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Has anyone tried using D&D Miniatures with a game of Descent? And what about Dungeon Tiles?

I didn't but I'm planning to use Descent tiles for D&D4 ;)

ShiroTheSniper said:

I didn't but I'm planning to use Descent tiles for D&D4 ;)

The other way arround, I see
:)

Same here. We sometimes use the Descent tiles for D&D as well. Sometimes we even grab some Descent monsters as well, but that does not happen very often.

I use descent and World of warcraft figures for my dnd xD (infernals still rock..haha...a pun).

Mostly I think there are a couple of reasons why people do this in reverse:

• Descent is sold in one batch and is not collectible like DnD minis.
  • Using DnD in descent will cause confusion because of the different pics on monster cards "No.No. That guy is a beast man and that guy is a ferrox..."
  • And lastly, you can paint your descent figures, which is always a win.

I was thinking about using D&D Minis as Hero figueres (as some of the Descent hero minis aren't doing it for me) and more importantly I had thought about using a D&D Minis monster as a special named monster in a Quest or even a selfmade Quest.

I see no reason to play DnD4 now that I own Descent. When I want to play a board game, Descent is far superior. (as that is what DnD4 basically is: a board game) lengua.gif

As for DnD minis with Descent, I suppose that would be possible, but I haven't done it. I'd rather blow my money on the two expansions I don't have yet. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Then again, I haven't really looked at the DnD dungeon tiles and they may be neat?

The D&D minis game is a board game, sure, but D&D 4e is a much deeper and more customizable experience than Descent. It's very much still a role-playing game with a structured combat system.

I refuse to use anything D&D with Descent as it is Heresy and should land all who do in irons! I like my Descent untainted by the likes of D&D. It has its world and Descent has its own.

I use my collection of D&D minis in Descent all the time for a number of reasons.

The Descent Heroes are completely the wrong scale. Bad on FFG for getting this wrong right from the start. They just look very wrong when mixed with the monsters.

The Descent Ogres / Giants are really not great figures, and I have plenty of 4-space D&D minis that are much better figures and already pre-painted.

But the main advantage is variation. Last session, I used a shamblng mound figure and said it had stats like a Naga. Whenever they meet an Ogre / Troll, I use a different figure each time as I have loads of them. It works really well and looks cool.

Currently, I have all my beastmen, skeletons, hellhounds, spiders painted. And I use them for Descent.

For kobolds, ferrox, ogres, giants, naga ,- I use D&D minis.

As for the comparison of Descent to D&D4. Descent is a boardgame, RtL is a very imbalanced boardgame. A large part of me really wishes that my Descent group will ask me to stop playing Descent so that we can play D&D4 instead since we then wont have the huge balance problems that we have since we started playing RtL. - But thats for another topic. The 2 should not really be compared.

We once used D&D minis to flush out extra monsters rather than making the Overlord just lose them; it seemed rather lame - I can't remember which quest it was, but it was basically split in 2 identical halves. The heroes split up, which would have left one half pretty empty. So, we used some D&D Minis skeleton archers to stand in for skeletons. Not hard to tell what they were :)

We've got several custom characters based on various other minis from Reaper, Nin-Gonost, and even MageKnight.

The spiders from Descent have shown up in a few D&D and D&D Minis games.

I might make more monsters for Descent based on D&D minis or others, but they are way too hard to integrate into the game, thanks to the poorly thought out card system.

I see no reason to play Descent now that I own D&D4e . When I want to play a board game, D&D is far superior. (even when just played as a boardgame, which it isn't)

Corrected your typos lengua.gif

(Descent is still more playable as a one-shot and easier to teach. I'll give it that).