Encounter tables or adventures leads?

By Fenderstat, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Hey Guys

Does anybody use plot/encounter tables to create on the fly leads? I used to have access to an awesome pdf about Gamesmastering in general which had a whole bunch of them in it but I lost it when I had to hand my ipad back into work. Maybe you can point me to some how to GM books which you guys like which has them in them or maybe your own system that you use. My goal is random scene generation here, not something I think of and then run beforehand but something I roll at the table think for a minute and build it on the fly. I already do the former, now I want to do the latter. Some with a sci-fi theme would be most helpful.

And by encounter tables I do not mean the fighting types. The plot lead or social or environmental encounters. Throwing enemies at my party does not help me improve my improv GM skills.

Check out the blog Triumph & Despair. I think you will find a few things to your liking….

http://triumphdespair.wordpress.com/

Have fun!

Thanks for the shout out, Lothsathy!

Triumph & Despair has a pretty strong focus on creating content for Edge of the Empire (and rpgs in general, really) that are there to help us GMs run better games and run our already great games easier. The Rogue Events and EotE Alphabet series (see my signature below) are great resources there, especially H is for Heists . I've been tooling around with all these random tables, plus some that I haven' yet published, as I'm gearing up for a new EotE play-by-post campaign designed to kind of show off how they're used and it is coming together phenominally well. Just keep in mind that using 100% randomized elements will sometimes give stupid or boring results, and it's there than you need a human brain to step in and run with the inspiration generated thus far.

Happy gaming!