SSU Essentials? Where to start with SSU for Dust Tactics AND Warfare…

By Neomaxim2, in Dust Tactics

So at this point, the fiance and I have one of everything for Axis and Allies in Dust. This puts me in a comfortable position as I only really have to buy 1-3 units every few months, making the hobby FINALLY easier on the wallet.

That said, I LOVE the game. I love it mechanically, aesthetically, and while I play Malifaux more often, it is only because there happens to be a local community for it.

So, as I keep up with new Axis and Ally units, I was thinking of slowly adding SSU until we have them, as well, on a status where I only worry about new releases.

That said… where do I being?

Operation Zverograd is the only one I intentionally skipped since I knew it was kinda SSU's debut, so obviously there is that. Beyond that, what are their best/essential units that are sort of standard?

On the flip-side… what sucks and can more easily be saved for the end purchases, a few months down the road?

Medvedi, Fakyeli (2x for DW), Commisars, Red Command, Red Thunder (2x for DW), Ohotniki, Mao, KV-3

Mattador Actual said:

Medvedi, Fakyeli (2x for DW), Commisars, Red Command, Red Thunder (2x for DW), Ohotniki, Mao, KV-3

Why would you take the Red Command over the Medvedi (Command Squad)?

In Tactics the Medvedi is a far better choice (imo). Dunno how they are in Warfare but I'd take them anytime over the Red Command: 6 less points, better tools of war…

Only my opinion :P

I don't think there are any essentials really my selected forces change everytime I use them, the KV47's are pretty Dire though. Just buy what you like the look off if you are going to get them all anyway.

I would say the "essentials" for me are Fakyeli (2x), Winter Child (he was the reason I chose to start SSU 5 months ago), KV-3, Airborne Transport.

Now, a lot depends on what style you are looking to play. I have 2 airborne transports and 1 attack heli as I like the idea of an air-mobile army. If you're looking for something more ground based, I'd say get:

KV-3, KV-47, IS-5 (or IS-48 depending on which variants you prefer), Red Thunder, Red Storm, Medvedi/Red Command

The great thing about SSU is we have a great amount of versatility right now. Between the heavy tanks, walkers, helicopters, and troops you really cant go wrong.

SolennelBern said:

Mattador Actual said:

In Tactics the Medvedi is a far better choice (imo). Dunno how they are in Warfare but I'd take them anytime over the Red Command: 6 less points, better tools of war…

To run a Red Platoon.

Mattador Actual said:

SolennelBern said:

Mattador Actual said:

To run a Red Platoon.

Agreed, on the Warfare side (I play both equally), Red Platoon is awesome. I would give them the 'essential' tag for a good command to crossover with.

winter child and grandma