Compared to the old game

By Trismich, in Fury Of Dracula

Just a quick question, has anyone played the Games Workshop original of this game? And if so, how does it compare with this version? I used to own the original back in the day, and it was such a good game. Just curious if much has been changed and if it actually makes the game better.

Thanks for reading.

I haven't played the original version, but from some small talk with friends on this very forum, I think the event deck had a different balance in the original game. IIRC, 50% of the cards were Dracula's cards, while now is 33%. I think you can find some better info if you ask on the BGG; there, you can also compare the two different versions of the game in terms of components, and so on

Dracula's movement is more restricted in the new version, but the mechanics are designed so that it's harder for him to cheat (if that's a concern for you - hopefully it isn't.) The addition of a fourth hunter and the potential change in event card count (I'm not 100% certain about that, but I believe Julia is correct) do not help him either.

The game is still loads of fun, and once the Dracula player knows what he's doing, he can still give the hunters a run for their money. It's different, but not really better or worse, IMHO. Sometimes I still pine for the old version, but the new version is good too.

Steve-O said:

(I'm not 100% certain about that, but I believe Julia is correct)

::laughter:: actually, Julia tried to quote one of your older posts when we talked about the balance of the game

Have you seen the announcement of Letters from Whitechapel, Steve? I'm really curious to hear your take on this one!

Julia said:

Have you seen the announcement of Letters from Whitechapel, Steve? I'm really curious to hear your take on this one!

You know, I tell myself that I like board games from other companies, but whenever I pull out my wallet it always seems to be for FFG. =P

I haven't really been following Letters from Whitechapel thus far, but it certainly looks like a game with similar play to FoD. The limitation of four rounds implies that it won't go on forever (which FoD sometimes can), and that's a bonus, I think. I will definitely be looking forward to more information about the game. I'm not familiar with the 2011 release.

Steve-O said:

You know, I tell myself that I like board games from other companies, but whenever I pull out my wallet it always seems to be for FFG. =P

Believe me, I know what you're talking about very well ::laughter::

Steve-O said:

I haven't really been following Letters from Whitechapel thus far, but it certainly looks like a game with similar play to FoD. The limitation of four rounds implies that it won't go on forever (which FoD sometimes can), and that's a bonus, I think. I will definitely be looking forward to more information about the game. I'm not familiar with the 2011 release.

Yes, the game is similar, yet different for one specific reason: no dice. I was kinda skeptical at the beginning, because it looked too similar to FoD, but the "no dice" clause made me think a lot. I love FoD, but too often games end in scorn because of the roll of a die. And often some "perfect games" (on both sides) are lost because of the "luck" factor. In this way there is no luck. Plus, the 199 starting locations can also be a bigger improvement in replayability. I'm very curious to read the rules :-)

Thank you for the replies! A possible purchase then by the sounds of it. I used to love the original, such a cool little game, sadly my psycho ex burned my copy a few years ago. Bah.

Trismich said:

Thank you for the replies! A possible purchase then by the sounds of it. I used to love the original, such a cool little game, sadly my psycho ex burned my copy a few years ago. Bah.

If you want a copy of the new game you might want to get on that right away. Last time I checked this game was out of print (again.)

Or, if it is still in print, it seems like it's not stocked well as I hear a lot of stories about people not being able to find it.

Yeah, Steve is right. It's not so easy to find it anymore. Still, the FoD forum is on the main page of boardgames, and was not moved to the archives, so I suppose the product is still considered "active". Hopefully we'll have a reprint (I'd like to get this in English)