Edge Battle Question

By Tappiocca, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Rules Questions

I looked for the anwer to this but I was unable to find it; and I thought I read it somewhere, but I wanted some opinions..

During the edge battle, both players play the exact same amount of force.. who wins?

I assumed it was the active player and that is how I played it.. But now I am thinking that the current edge battle is canceled and you start a new one.. Which is it?

rgeer3 said:

I looked for the anwer to this but I was unable to find it; and I thought I read it somewhere, but I wanted some opinions..

During the edge battle, both players play the exact same amount of force.. who wins?

I assumed it was the active player and that is how I played it.. But now I am thinking that the current edge battle is canceled and you start a new one.. Which is it?

Rulebook says if an edge battle is played to a tie, the defending player always wins it.

Page 20

4. Finishing the Edge Battle
After resolving fate cards, each player counts the
number of Force icons on cards in his edge stack. The
player with the higher total wins the edge battle and has
the edge for the remainder of the engagement. In the
event of a tie, the edge goes to the defending player.

Thanks guys; I knew I saw it somewhere…!

Guys .. I have another question about the "Twisted Fate" during the Edge Battle.

If a Twisted Fate affects the edge battle where both players must discard all the edge stacks. Please clarify the following:

1. What happen if both players don't have anymore cards in hands for another edge battle? how is it going to be resolved?

2. Let's say IF the edge battle couldn't be resolved because there is no more card, how do we resolve the total number of force icon to determine the edge battle winner? The rule book says in page 20 "After resolving fate cards, each player counts the number of Force icons on cards in his edge stack".

All I can think of right now is .. the lost of edge stack is caused by a player who have the Twisted Fate card and IF this has resulted both players can't do Edge Battle subsequently then the holder of Twisted Fate wins the Edge Battle automatically. I might be wrong though.

Thanks in advance guys .. :)

Luminous Quasar said:

Guys .. I have another question about the "Twisted Fate" during the Edge Battle.

If a Twisted Fate affects the edge battle where both players must discard all the edge stacks. Please clarify the following:

1. What happen if both players don't have anymore cards in hands for another edge battle? how is it going to be resolved?

2. Let's say IF the edge battle couldn't be resolved because there is no more card, how do we resolve the total number of force icon to determine the edge battle winner? The rule book says in page 20 "After resolving fate cards, each player counts the number of Force icons on cards in his edge stack".

All I can think of right now is .. the lost of edge stack is caused by a player who have the Twisted Fate card and IF this has resulted both players can't do Edge Battle subsequently then the holder of Twisted Fate wins the Edge Battle automatically. I might be wrong though.

Thanks in advance guys .. :)

Defender automatically wins ties. 0-0 force icons, defender wins. Rules page 20 step 4.

You would both count zero force icons in your edge stack. It would be a tie, so the defending player would win the edge battle.

Interesting … if the Twisted Fate card makes the tie in force icons 0 - 0 and basically the defender wins afterall then Twisted Fate kills its active player who resolve the Fate.

It must be a resolution to this. It can't be the players who own the Twisted Fate lost to his own card IMO ..

Why would you as the attacker play Twist of Fate if you have no other cards to play to the next edge battle ? Seems like a dumb move as defender would automatically win the second edge battle without needing to play any cards.

Luminous Quasar said:

Interesting … if the Twisted Fate card makes the tie in force icons 0 - 0 and basically the defender wins afterall then Twisted Fate kills its active player who resolve the Fate.

It must be a resolution to this. It can't be the players who own the Twisted Fate lost to his own card IMO ..

Twist of Fate also starts a new edge battle. As Toqtamish mentioned, it would be a pretty poor choice for an attacking player to play Twist of Fate when they have no other cards in hand for the new edge battle (unless they had some reason to suspect that the defending player had loaded a bunch of Fate cards into their edge stack and thus wanted to cancel them… or the attacking player had some units with the Edge keyword).

Toqtamish said:

Why would you as the attacker play Twist of Fate if you have no other cards to play to the next edge battle ? Seems like a dumb move as defender would automatically win the second edge battle without needing to play any cards.

Thanks Toqtamish

I'm just testing this card on what it says basically .. if this indicated the winner on the opponent side after such situation then I just have to be careful in using this card . This was the reason I asked .. :)

As a new person here .. I don't have a full understanding of this new game strategy. Sorry if it sounded like a dumb question and perhaps me being a new player who is still blind and confused therefore asking a lot of "dumb" questions from the experts here .. :)

Luminous Quasar said:

Toqtamish said:

Thanks Toqtamish

I'm just testing this card on what it says basically .. if this indicated the winner on the opponent side after such situation then I just have to be careful in using this card . This was the reason I asked .. :)

As a new person here .. I don't have a full understanding of this new game strategy. Sorry if it sounded like a dumb question and perhaps me being a new player who is still blind and confused therefore asking a lot of "dumb" questions from the experts here .. :)

No such thing as a "dumb" question. Learning new games can be difficult, especially if you don't have somebody more familiar with the rules helping teach you. Feel free to ask any questions you have, no matter how obvious you think the answer should be.

Luminous Quasar said:

I am in the same boat. I have played 2 full games with my son and have many questions as well. I played MtG for a long time, but that was a long time ago too. I really like the game and the cards, but I think that once Edge of Darkness gets out with the last two affiliations, we will begin to see a lot more deck variations and a lot more decks to play with and against.

Thanks to all the experts with putting up with us new folks. I really appreciate it!

Michael

If as an attacker you are left with only Twist of Fate and maybe a fate card that can deal dmg to your target objective. It would make sense to see if you could get your opponent to waste a few of his or her cards trying to win the edge battle(s). Throw down Twist of Fate first and then pass - then in the second edge battle play your fate card.

It all depends on the current situation of course but I have done this a few times with good success.

Yeah, to me twinst of fate seems to be a defensive card more than an offense card; though there are admittedly situations when ToF is a good offensive call.

MasterJediAdam said:

Yeah, to me twinst of fate seems to be a defensive card more than an offense card; though there are admittedly situations when ToF is a good offensive call.

It works pretty well both ways. Remember, the defender probably played a couple of cards on their turn and probably only has 3-4 cards total for edge battles. As the attacker, you can start out with a ToF, and then when the defender plays in one of their cards follow with a Dagobah Training Grounds or another otherwise useless card. The defender is now pretty likely to toss in another card. If you have one more "worthless" edge card you can put it in, but even if you don't you now have the defender down to 1 or 2 remaining cards at best. Plus, you probably ate all of their copies of Heat of Battle.

dbmeboy said:

MasterJediAdam said:

It works pretty well both ways. Remember, the defender probably played a couple of cards on their turn and probably only has 3-4 cards total for edge battles. As the attacker, you can start out with a ToF, and then when the defender plays in one of their cards follow with a Dagobah Training Grounds or another otherwise useless card. The defender is now pretty likely to toss in another card. If you have one more "worthless" edge card you can put it in, but even if you don't you now have the defender down to 1 or 2 remaining cards at best. Plus, you probably ate all of their copies of Heat of Battle.

Absolutely! I can't count how many of those resource cards I've thrown in with Twist of Fate.

Budgernaut said:

dbmeboy said:

MasterJediAdam said:

Absolutely! I can't count how many of those resource cards I've thrown in with Twist of Fate.

"Twist of Fate" is a nice little grenade in the game .. :)

Budgernaut said:

dbmeboy said:

MasterJediAdam said:

I'm curious, guys… What kind of deck are you playing that you'd consider a resource-producer like Dagobah Training Grounds "useless"?

Sorry for the confusion, I meant useless for edge battles, at least in the traditional sense. Though even playing normally, you can have too many of them and be better off using them to bluff.

ziggy2000 said:

Budgernaut said:

dbmeboy said:

MasterJediAdam said:

I'm curious, guys… What kind of deck are you playing that you'd consider a resource-producer like Dagobah Training Grounds "useless"?

It all depends on when it comes out. If I have a resource-producing card in my opening hand or my second turn, I'll play it without question. But as the game drags on, I'll get less yield from one of those cards than I would if played earlier.

Sometimes I have two in hand so I can only play one in my turn. Rather than holding onto it for the next round, I can use it with Twist of Fate during my opponent's turn to goad them into using more cards for the edge battle, which in turn makes it easier for me to win edge battles on my next turn.

The other thing is that beyond 8 resources, I feel like I don't spend everything I have. You can only purchase so much and still have strength for Edge Battles. That's why those resource cards don't get played in some of my games -- I just don't need them

dbmeboy said:

MasterJediAdam said:

That is actually quite a good point. Thanks for the game tip!