Scum and Sithery

By Xenu's Paradox, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

'Lo all, I just picked up 2x Core Set last Friday and immediately got to work building decks. My first is a Sith/Scum and Villainy deck I've named "Scum and Sithery".

Faction: Scum and Villainy

Counsel of the Sith x2

Cruel Interrogations x2

Fall of the Jedi x2

The Emperor's Web x2

The Bespin Exchange x2

Average Force Icons: 1.52

Units: 22; average cost 2.36

Enhancements: 12; average cost 0.83

Events: 12; average cost 0.83

Fate: 4

Total Objective Deck resources: 10

Total Command Deck resources: 6

Feel free to rip it apart.

Idea behind it eg. Control opponent, direct damage etc…

Looks like a beatdown deck with Boba, Vader and the Emperor.

Have you played it yet or did you just build it?

Just built it. It's pretty heavily geared towards unit control with Force Choke, Force Lightning, Vader, Boba, Intimidated. Some discard. Tends heavily towards unit damage with very little blast or tactics. Strong draw and cycling with Fall and Counsel + Precog.

That looks to be about all you need to make it to turn 12.

Xenu's Paradox said:

'Lo all, I just picked up 2x Core Set last Friday and immediately got to work building decks. My first is a Sith/Scum and Villainy deck I've named "Scum and Sithery".

Faction: Scum and Villainy

Counsel of the Sith x2

Cruel Interrogations x2

Fall of the Jedi x2

The Emperor's Web x2

The Bespin Exchange x2

Average Force Icons: 1.52

Units: 22; average cost 2.36

Enhancements: 12; average cost 0.83

Events: 12; average cost 0.83

Fate: 4

Total Objective Deck resources: 10

Total Command Deck resources: 6

Feel free to rip it apart.

hey mate,

a few questions about your deck: what is your overall win percentage at the moment with scum and sithery?

Is the deck performing the same against Jedi and RA?

I've just played 2 games with it, one was teaching a guy to play, so we both cheated to speed things up and ensure all the mechanics got shown off early. Second one was against the same player. Both times he was using my Jedi deck and it was pretty close, but I won both games. I haven't really had a chance to play much as of yet.

What's not to love about Vader and Palpatine? And their pods…

Do you find you have enough resources to get those big guns out, plus play stuff like Force Lightning?

Warren12 said:

What's not to love about Vader and Palpatine? And their pods…

Do you find you have enough resources to get those big guns out, plus play stuff like Force Lightning?

There's usually enough to get a fair amount done, yes. The deck runs 4x Sith Library + 2x Advisor, so there's a decent amount of acceleration.

I run a very similar Sith deck to Xenu's Paradox. Take out Bespin Exchange for Shadows of Dathomir x2 (giving turn 1 Vader potential, among other things), and dropping one Cruel Interrogations for Recon Mission . I could pretty easily be convinced that 2x Cruel Interrogations is better than having a copy of Recon Mission, but I like having a few more combat tricks and find the 7-card hand to often be a huge benefit.

I'm noticing a lot of love for Cruel Interrogations. I use Heart of the Empire in my Sith deck. What is it about Cruel interrogations that appeals to so many ? Just curious about it. Haven't really used it much myself.

Toqtamish said:

I'm noticing a lot of love for Cruel Interrogations. I use Heart of the Empire in my Sith deck. What is it about Cruel interrogations that appeals to so many ? Just curious about it. Haven't really used it much myself.

I like Heart of the Empire (and originally ran it x2 instead of 1x Cruel Interrogations and 1x Counsel). However, I had a few too many games that I lost (or came much closer to losing than I should have) because I drew both Heart of the Empires in my opening 4 and had to start with one on the table. The main reasons I wanted the set were the defense fleet and Force Stasis. Force Stasis I miss having available, but the defense fleet tended to be overkill… the Sith have enough other ways to deal with troublesome units and ward off attacks.

As for Cruel Interrogations: First, the Interrogation Droid is pretty useful. It holds its own when used in edge battles. It can commit to the force in a pinch. Tactics icons are always useful. 2 damage capacity keeps it from being sniped off by a small character, requiring the commitment of a larger attacker to keep it from stopping something else. And, to top it off, its ability is sweet, especially for the turn you decide to switch from defense to aggro. However, the main reason I run the set is the event card: Interrogation. This card can be absolutely brutal. Plus, it combos well with Vader and The Emperor's Web. With both out, it can become a 1-cost event that "kills" any card from your opponents hand and then does 1 damage to a unit on the board. I'd say that's worth it.

Toqtamish said:

The disruption abilities in Interrogations are amazing. Capturing a card from their hand when it's revealed can be even better than discarding, as your opponent may overcommit or ignore an objective that's more vulnerable/threatening to get that card back. Interrogation lets you see your opponent's hand and get rid of anything there that you don't like. Interrogation Droids provide 2 Force icons, Edge tactics, and a random discard, and Intimidated is 0-cost soft removal.

Spot reserved for future comment. Man, I need to get my cards; that is what I get for ordering online …

MasterJediAdam said:

Spot reserved for future comment. Man, I need to get my cards; that is what I get for ordering online …

dbmeboy said:

MasterJediAdam said:

You've done a few of these "spot reserved" posts now. I think someone should warn you that this forum's software is completely horrible and often won't let you edit posts after there's a response or tw, making such posts not work so well.

If only this forum software allowed you to "subscribe" to a topic… what a space-age feature that would be. :)

I find those reserved posts pretty annoying myself.

Warren12 said:

If only this forum software allowed you to "subscribe" to a topic… what a space-age feature that would be. :)

I find those reserved posts pretty annoying myself.

To be fair, reserved posts work in normal-functioning forums all over the place and occasionally have some function (eg reserving the first response to continually update league standings). How FFG manages such sub-par forum software is beyond me when I had a friend in high school set up his own forums that worked much better. I'm pretty sure at this point you don't even need web developing skills to set up good forums… but I digress from the topic horribly.

@Xenu's Paradox: are you finding that Bespin Exchange pulls its weight in your deck? As much as I'd love to stick the Mandalorian Armor on Vader to make him nigh invincible, the rest of the set doesn't really appeal to me. Fett's capture mechanic is somewhat limited as most LS characters die very easily (only Luke and Obi-Wan have 3 damage capacity, everyone else has 1 or 2). If he's won the edge battle, Fett is much more likely to just kill the LS character than successfuly capture them. I haven't tried it out myself yet though, so perhaps it ends up working out much better in practice.

Yeah I am afraid to throw Fett out without his armor. He is too easy fodder for LS cards (targeted strike, tactics, Hit & Run, etc…)

I threw out the BE objective like dmb boy did and it works better. Trust me I want to use Fett more than anybody, but he needs more of his affliation cards then Solo does to make him work.

I once got Fett out with two Mandalorian Armor on him. The trouble was, the enemy had usually exhausted most of their cards on offense, so Fett usually attacked unopposed. That meant his 8 damage capacity was overkill. But then, their strategy ended up winning, so I guess Fett didn't do as much as I'd hoped. It was my first time using him, though. I'm sure there were times I forgot to capture with him and he just did damage instead.

Budgernaut said:

I once got Fett out with two Mandalorian Armor on him. The trouble was, the enemy had usually exhausted most of their cards on offense, so Fett usually attacked unopposed. That meant his 8 damage capacity was overkill. But then, their strategy ended up winning, so I guess Fett didn't do as much as I'd hoped. It was my first time using him, though. I'm sure there were times I forgot to capture with him and he just did damage instead.

So use Targeted Strike to capture their units and use Tactics to double-focus one of their units.

dbmeboy said:

Toqtamish said:

I like Heart of the Empire (and originally ran it x2 instead of 1x Cruel Interrogations and 1x Counsel). However, I had a few too many games that I lost (or came much closer to losing than I should have) because I drew both Heart of the Empires in my opening 4 and had to start with one on the table. The main reasons I wanted the set were the defense fleet and Force Stasis. Force Stasis I miss having available, but the defense fleet tended to be overkill… the Sith have enough other ways to deal with troublesome units and ward off attacks.

As for Cruel Interrogations: First, the Interrogation Droid is pretty useful. It holds its own when used in edge battles. It can commit to the force in a pinch. Tactics icons are always useful. 2 damage capacity keeps it from being sniped off by a small character, requiring the commitment of a larger attacker to keep it from stopping something else. And, to top it off, its ability is sweet, especially for the turn you decide to switch from defense to aggro. However, the main reason I run the set is the event card: Interrogation. This card can be absolutely brutal. Plus, it combos well with Vader and The Emperor's Web. With both out, it can become a 1-cost event that "kills" any card from your opponents hand and then does 1 damage to a unit on the board. I'd say that's worth it.

When I get 2 x Heart of the Empire in my first hand I put them both into play. You get 8 resources from the start and LS will usually only attack one of them anyway so the second one comes with almost no drawback.

Fbaranow said:

When I get 2 x Heart of the Empire in my first hand I put them both into play. You get 8 resources from the start and LS will usually only attack one of them anyway so the second one comes with almost no drawback.

Well yes, but I tend to prefer 0 Heart of the Empire in play at the beginning of the game. True, the 2nd one has almost no drawback (other than losing whatever useful effect the objective you don't pick would have had), but for the 2 extra resources from HotE (which locks it down for a couple turns) you just gave the LS a significantly easier win condition. That said, if Force Stasis ever shows up in a different pod I wouldn't complain.

dbmeboy said:

Fbaranow said:

Well yes, but I tend to prefer 0 Heart of the Empire in play at the beginning of the game. True, the 2nd one has almost no drawback (other than losing whatever useful effect the objective you don't pick would have had), but for the 2 extra resources from HotE (which locks it down for a couple turns) you just gave the LS a significantly easier win condition. That said, if Force Stasis ever shows up in a different pod I wouldn't complain.

I like having the option to play 2 heavy units into play in one turn. Makes LS think twice before making another all out attack. If I get one HotE at the beginning I often leave it out of the table. But when I draw 2 I just can't resist to play them.