Multiple copies of cards in decks - useful or bloated?

By Darik, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

Unless I'm reading the deckbuilding rules wrong (and I'll admit I might be…) you can use multiple copies of the same objective in your Command Deck and therefore have more than one copy of each of the cards associated with that objective in your draw deck. That being the case, is it worth it to have multiple copies? I mean, part of me (the part that used to playt he Star Wars CCG from Decipher, anyway) thinks having multiple Luke Skywalkers and multiple Darth Vaders is probably a good thing. But in this game, maybe not.

Thoughts?

Darth Vader is awesome. Why wouldn't you want a higher probability of drawing him? Especially with how quick this game is and the ability to play characters even if they are in your discard pile, I have run multiple objectives and found it to be well worth it.

Remember too, you're allowed to have at most two copies of any objective set that's not limited to one per deck. That should keep things from getting too crazy.

Very useful as it helps to ensure you draw those cards.

It seems more beneficial for the LS because they have access to Return of the Jedi. You can use one of the big characters in an edge battle and then play RotJ.

TGO said:

It seems more beneficial for the LS because they have access to Return of the Jedi. You can use one of the big characters in an edge battle and then play RotJ.

I wasn't saying it wasnt beneficial for the DS, just that it is better for the LS at the moment. I play with 2 objective sets for Vader, Palpatine and the objective that has the draw 2 and discard one card event.

Most of my games seem to be ending after 6 or 7 turns, and I'm digging through just over half my deck (maybe). So two copies is amost manditory. Little dudes are great, but even with two copies of each, I waited 4 or 5 turns to see Vader and Palpatine. Also, when making a Jedi deck, if you are using the big three (Luke, Ben, Yoda) really think about two copies of Defense of Yavin 4. The 4 copies (2x2) of Guardian of Peace make a huge difference keeping your super buffed (but two health) Yoda on the board.

TGO said:

I wasn't saying it wasnt beneficial for the DS, just that it is better for the LS at the moment. I play with 2 objective sets for Vader, Palpatine and the objective that has the draw 2 and discard one card event.

LMKComaBlack said:

Most of my games seem to be ending after 6 or 7 turns, and I'm digging through just over half my deck (maybe). So two copies is amost manditory. Little dudes are great, but even with two copies of each, I waited 4 or 5 turns to see Vader and Palpatine. Also, when making a Jedi deck, if you are using the big three (Luke, Ben, Yoda) really think about two copies of Defense of Yavin 4. The 4 copies (2x2) of Guardian of Peace make a huge difference keeping your super buffed (but two health) Yoda on the board.

Just half or your deck? I'm going through 75% of my deck usually. Are you discarding stuff every turn?

There is no faction right now that doesn't benefit from putting two copies of almost any given permissable objective. You're either drawing your mashers faster or you're planning for edge advantage(possibly).Also, multiple copies makes the spies, smugs, scums, and bad apples playable right now.

Ulairi said:

LMKComaBlack said:

Just half or your deck? I'm going through 75% of my deck usually. Are you discarding stuff every turn?

I've not been doing a card count at the end, so it may very well be closer to 75% or beyond, but I've yet to look at my deck and think "I've got to wrap this up or I'll deck myself." I have found myself saving 2 strong event cards / Edge cards after a turn and slowly saving up one hell of a turn. Two Sith events with Vader out, and two Edge tricks, plus something for Edge points all on one turn. It seems my regular opponent and I have a tendancy to have few (but very meaningful) conflicts. Winners only have 4 offensive fights. Games end with only 7 or 8 combats at all. But it's pretty common to see 5 damage drop in a single fight. That's not always the case… I've played games with 12 or 15 little fights, but the local meta favors the big dogs right now. Two turns might go by without a fight, then somone will lash out in a big way.

qwertyuiop said:

There is no faction right now that doesn't benefit from putting two copies of almost any given permissable objective. You're either drawing your mashers faster or you're planning for edge advantage(possibly).Also, multiple copies makes the spies, smugs, scums, and bad apples playable right now.

I tried a Sith/Scum deck, but so much of Bespin Exchange triggers off of capturing. Objectives with static board abiities are the top of the list for me, where as triggered abilitites might go untouched all game. I found the Scum set (in duplicate) just got in the way… I didn't see Boba Fett until late, and the rest is just meh unless you are capturing things. All it did was slow me down, so I ditched it. I'll try it again when the Capture mechanic has some more synergy.

On the other hand, I have a Han/Leia/Wookie Navigator deck that is very solid. Han melts face, Leia gets sacrificed, Han melts face again. And as always, Han functions best with a Wookie at his side.