Mini Gear Cards

By Sturn, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Would anyone be interested in something like these?

http://www.ourstead.com/starwars/edge/examples.pdf

I'm hoping to have a set of small double-sided gear cards printed (FFG Mini American size) as references for players and myself. I have these for Warhammer and they worked nice as a reference for a player to quickly know what he has picked up, what he is carrying, etc. without opening a book. It's also a nice visualization and allows for such things as having a "DL-44 Blaster Pistol", instead of just a generic, "Heavy Blaster Pistol".

I only posted 3 examples since I've been using Google image searches for my artwork. Would I get in trouble from FFG or others if I posted more (when finished) completely not-for-profit?

I like it! But don't make the corner rounds, it's harder to cut correctly

Sturn said:

I only posted 3 examples since I've been using Google image searches for my artwork. Would I get in trouble from FFG or others if I posted more (when finished) completely not-for-profit?

That all depends on the artwork you use and how that artist feels about their work being used without their permission. Just because you are posting them for free, doesn't mean they can't come after you for it.

I'd be all for it, even if you had to remove the artwork and just have the name really big on the backs

Or post a link of the desired artwork where the image should go.

I'm assuming correctly that photographs of movie props are going to be as protected as new artwork? I had planned on using actual photographs for most of the gear cards.

Yep. Once something is "made permanent", either by being photographed or recorded, it becomes copyrighted to the individual (or the company they work for depending on their employment contract). So, photos of props are copyrighted, just as drawings are.

Just use pictures from wookieepedia and then credit it to that site, simples!

lupex said:

Just use pictures from wookieepedia and then credit it to that site, simples!

Simples… if the pictures are listed as being released under a license like the Creative Commons… Else, that doesn't help any, heheh.

To be honest with the amount of fan made supplements and things made for rpgs, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I mean part of the table-top world is creating your own spin our useful tools for your group.

I look forward to seeing more, they are a great idea!

To be honest, unless you appear to be claiming the photos as original work (therefore claiming the copyright) you should be ok so long as you credit the site you took them from and/or Lucasarts. As a side comment I like the examples you ave shown but I would like to see a little more explanation of symbols as with the armour unless you already know what the stats are it is not obvious what the armours benefits are. Perhaps you could have the back of the cards give more standardised equipment descritpions and have the prettied stuff on the front.

Nice work though,

E

eldath said:

As a side comment I like the examples you ave shown but I would like to see a little more explanation of symbols as with the armour unless you already know what the stats are it is not obvious what the armours benefits are.

Definitely. I like the cards, but the symbols need clarity. Might I suggest:

Weapon damage - use the success/X-wing hit starburst symbol

Defence - use the black square/setback dice symbol.

Soak - use the boba fett chest symbol that you're currently using, as I can't think of another good option for this…

Other symbols all look ok (range, encumbrance), though you might want to try and fit the full name of the range in a smaller font rather than just the the first letter for clarity, or perhaps use some sort of hex-based range bands graphic that is obvious at a glance (1 hex engaged, 2 hexes close, 3 hexes medium, 4 hexes long, 5 hexes extreme)?

:)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm working on new symbols before making new cards. I've already adjusted to square corners. When I get something new finished, I will repost some examples. Slow work due to real work getting in the way.

Overall, these look pretty good.

I do have a question regarding how you've got Stun listed for these weapons.

It looks look you're using the Stun (Active) weapon quality as described on page 107. However, most of the blasters described in the core book instead use the Stun Setting as described under Stun Damage (Passive) weapon quality just beneath it. Meaning that your weapon cards are using an entirely different system than that used for the core weapons. By RAW, a blaster can either do regular lethal damage or be swtiched over to Stun Damage, where you've got them so that they deal regular lethal damage and have the option of dealing additional Stun/Strain damage, making your listings a great deal more powerful. I'm guessing this is a mistake/misreading on your part, but if this is a house-rule of yours, then I'd strongly suggest you make it clear that this is the case.

I do like the rules presented for the CQ Optical Sight as a base attachment, but being able to Aim as what amounts to a free action is way too good for a modification. I'd suggest using the Innate Talent (Natural Marksman) approach that the Telescopic Optical Sight uses, otherwise you're effectively allowing weapons with this attachement/modification to make ranged attacks at Medium range for one difficutly with no trade-off.

On the Semi-Enhanced Optics suite, I'd suggest simplifying things by simply having it negate a single setback die. Between that and the lack of modification options, that will make it a sub-par cousin to the Enhanced Optics suite. Having a constant Threat on every roll regarding vision just feels too punitive and it's something else to keep track of, where simply negating one setback die is easier to track.

Thanks loads Donovan…

Donovan Morningfire said:

It looks look you're using the Stun (Active) weapon quality as described on page 107. However, most of the blasters described in the core book instead use the Stun Setting as described under Stun Damage (Passive) weapon quality just beneath it…….

My mistake. Will correct it.

I do like the rules presented for the CQ Optical Sight as a base attachment, but being able to Aim as what amounts to a free action is way too good for a modification. I'd suggest using the Innate Talent (Natural Marksman) approach that the Telescopic Optical Sight uses, otherwise you're effectively allowing weapons with this attachement/modification to make ranged attacks at Medium range for one difficutly with no trade-off.

Noted. I will probably change to your suggestion.

On the Semi-Enhanced Optics suite, I'd suggest simplifying things by simply having it negate a single setback die. Between that and the lack of modification options, that will make it a sub-par cousin to the Enhanced Optics suite. Having a constant Threat on every roll regarding vision just feels too punitive and it's something else to keep track of, where simply negating one setback die is easier to track.

I was trying to model what we saw in the movies of the Stormtroopers being ungainly, bumping into things, etc. Laminate Armor as is has no penalty to movement or sight like previous games have included. How about something like, "GM can spend wearer's Despair to have player bump into a doorway, miss grabbing for the step on a ladder, bump into someone else close by, etc." ? Despair not common enough? Use 2 Threat?

Again thanks for the suggestions. They are what I was hoping for.

I like them as well. Did you change your mind and output them in a standard card format? Actually, I would prefer myself, as you don't have to turn over the cards to read them.

Sturn said:

Thanks loads Donovan…

You're quite welcome, and kudos for taking the time and effort to put these together in the first place.

As far as the SEOptics and Stormtrooper "clumsiness," I think this may just come down to a difference of opinions. We really don't see a lot of clumsiness out of Stormtroopers or Clone Troopers in the various material, with the one notable exception being that poor trooper that klonked his head on the door in ANH.

I think the "ungainliness" factor is pretty well covered already by the armor's encumbrance value, as it's bulkier than padded armor (which provides the same defensive benefit), and the only person we really saw having trouble with it was Luke (who had probably never worn actual combat armor a day in his life before that point), and he seemed to do alright other than a off-hand complaint of not really being able to see much in that helmet (again, probably due to lack of familiarity with the armor and its systems than anything else). But like I said, could just be a simple difference in our points of view.

aljovin said:

I like them as well. Did you change your mind and output them in a standard card format? Actually, I would prefer myself, as you don't have to turn over the cards to read them.

Thanks. Those are still US mini-card sized. But after glancing at them again I see what you mean. If you don't fold and glue them, they are around normal card size with everything on front with the text aligned appropriately. So as is it's your choice. I printed out a test copy and the dotted lines are very light so if they aren't folded they will look fine.

Updated with the newest suggestions.

These are great! Thank you, looking forward to more additions reir