A strange situation that has happened 3 times now.

By Persiatic, in Middle-earth Quest

Hi, the situation below have happened in our games like 3 times now and I haven't found any clear answers on this in the rules or on the forum. So please help if you know how this should be handled:

Example:

Hero moves to a Shadow Stronghold, and fights a monster token there. He kills the monster but is left with 1 card in his hand which he cannot use to move away from the location and since it's a SS location he may not rest next turn. So he is basically stuck. I do know that the only way for him is to get auto defeated but here is the trick:

Does he declare himself defeated the current turn or does he have to end his turn there and at the beginning of his next turn defeat himself?

Just as a discussion basis our gaming group decided that he must wait until the next turn to defeat himself because otherwise it would be a very good thing for him to get defeated since he gets teleported to the nearest Heaven and can start his next turn fully healed.

Persiatic said:

Hi, the situation below have happened in our games like 3 times now and I haven't found any clear answers on this in the rules or on the forum. So please help if you know how this should be handled:

Example:

Hero moves to a Shadow Stronghold, and fights a monster token there. He kills the monster but is left with 1 card in his hand which he cannot use to move away from the location and since it's a SS location he may not rest next turn. So he is basically stuck. I do know that the only way for him is to get auto defeated but here is the trick:

Does he declare himself defeated the current turn or does he have to end his turn there and at the beginning of his next turn defeat himself?

Just as a discussion basis our gaming group decided that he must wait until the next turn to defeat himself because otherwise it would be a very good thing for him to get defeated since he gets teleported to the nearest Heaven and can start his next turn fully healed.

First off, 3 times sounds like poor planning/anticipation by the heroes reir . As he killed the monster and his turn didn't end, I'd say his turn is still going, so he would qualify for:

"If the hero is on a Shadow

Stronghold, within 1 space of the Witch King, or does not have
cards in his rest pool, he may voluntarily be defeated at any point
during his turn (since he cannot rest)." (FAQ, p. 1)

haha ye they are not relaly thinking and want to do as much as possible during their turn. But this means that it's basically a good tactic if you have low cards on your hand to rush into a shadow stronghold if there is a minion or monster. Because either way if you die or make it out alive you will start your next turn fully recovered. which is better than waiting and resting on your next step since you have also either removed a monster token from the game or at least dealt some damage to the minion.

Really wierd, I think we will keep our house rule that he has to waste his next round to get defated.

Yeah, I could see the FAQ answer interpreted as the hero missing the next turn, meaning he would have to wait until then to declare defeated, but I've found Sauron has the edge in the game as is. And it still takes out a Favor or Item from that hero and moves a token for Sauron (possibly 2 spaces with the right Corruption card on the hero).