Beginner matches vs random family opponents

By jetsetter, in X-Wing Battle Reports

Ok…I'm the "resident nerd" in my family and recently bought the core set and all the expansion sets (couldn't pass the ships up). Since I played against a co-worker, I have been craving opponents….so I challenged my daughter, and others to some matches. When I first showed them the game they scoffed at it….and thought it was "silly". After some persistent prodding to accept my challenge they played, and ALL of them enjoyed it! We only played the quick start rules (I didn't want to push them to hard at first), I had to "set the hook", and I do believe they will be purchasing some sets in the future.

on to the results….the imperial side won each time, first because of beginner maneuvers and secondly some outstanding (lucky) dice roles (3 hits vs 3 evades).

Hopefully, I'll find opponents in the local area after everyone leaves.

~Ron

I too have ran a number of family and friends through some demo games. I find that they get excited that they can fly "luke", but then get disscouraged when I place 2 TIEs on the board. I usually fly them staggard, head-on to let my opponent make the choice of shooting range 1 or 2, or 2 and 3. This also lets them receive a few shots in return. If it is still 2 to 1 when we pass, I will split the TIEs up so that he always has 1 in his sights, but can be shot at by the other. They will usually blow up the lead TIE and then a round or two later I can bring them down. Although there have been a few times where someone will catch on quick, and through good maneuvers, and/or dice rolls shoot down both TIES.

Either way they are usually hooked. Keep up the good work spreading the game around

Also, where is your playing area? I am from the upstate of South Carolina.

for "demo" games I usually do rookie + torps vs 1 academy 1 obsidian, then i either try to keep both TIEs alive but half dead when using the Xwing, or let him take out 1 TIE early when using the imperial side.

I'm just north of Washington, DC in Maryland. I tend to not be as 'aggressive' when demoing, so I don't 'ruin' the game for them….then when they catch on and are hooked, then the 'games' begin! Overall, it's a blast and its very cool when they get into the heat of the battle!

I did have to reset a game between to in-laws cause one got too excited and moved two of the ships while trying to measure the range (it was only round one). I was acting as the referree.

hopefully, one day I can get them to want to try the advanced rules, just wish they lived a little closer to me, they are visiting from Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Utah (there's a wedding this weekend).

Having just started recently, I'm still learning, myself. However, I've found that starting wary family and friends on quickstart rules is usually a great opening. It's simple and quick enough that they're instantly engaged. I start explaining some of the core rules towards the end of the quickstart match and then am able to add a few of the core rules in with the follow up match to add more strategy.

Easing them in gradually makes it more palatable to the casual player as well as making it easier to understand.

We are going to try to play via Skype & FaceTime since he lives in Texas. He will roll his dice and set his movement markers, while I will have the ships and tokens on my end, moving them tracking damage. He will have his pilot cards and skills in front of him, while I hope to have at least two different video feeds for him to see the board. I hope it works like we think it will!

The hook has been SET! Now I'm getting calls…with family members wanting to play via the internet and local! Plus, last weekend I had my first gaming event at Game Parlor, in Chantilly, VA. Good times…but I plan on winning this coming up weekend! 0-3 vs the Falcon is frustrating…especially when it flys around with 1 Hull left!!