So, how smart is the AI in this game?

By Steve-O, in Gears of War: The Board Game

Gears is one of those games I think about getting, but never seem to put down cash for. I'm curious, though, since one of the game's selling points was that it has such a devious AI that "you'll swear there's an intelligent player countering your every moveā€¦" How smart is the AI, really? Does it actually feel like the Locust are being controlled in an intelligent manner, or is the effect only worthwhile for a few plays until you figure out how they work and then they're a pushover?

So far, I noticed that sometimes the Locust AI does not make the optimal choice for the situation (but it's nonetheless the sensible choice for the the critter role). Most often is quite capable in its player killing overall efficiency.

Given the possible combinations of involved critter(s), variable map layout, players positions and conditions, weaponry, etc., devising a predictable pattern is not so easy. Certainly not after a few games, and certainly not without a specific intent of doing so - as you're busy keeping your skin together, quite a feat. Also, as there's a bit of dice rolling involved, performances range from dismaying to astounding.

So, while after a few games you can predict a certain enemy behaviour, you cannot plan at all for its exact movements, actions, and intent.

golem101 said:

So, while after a few games you can predict a certain enemy behaviour, you cannot plan at all for its exact movements, actions, and intent.

I suppose that's reasonable, at the end of the day. But the enemies still put up a good fight after you've played enough to get the hang of the rules? Maybe they won't always do "the best thing" - I wouldn't expect that much of any automated system - but at the least they aren't predictable to the point that defeating them becomes a trivial task.

That's what I'm getting from your response, and I think that sounds like a perfectly fair performance for what the game promises. Thanks for your input. =)

The AI is definitely challenging, there are some very brutal combinations of AI-cards that may turn the tides very easily. Weaknesses in the AI are compensated by the fact that the enemies' attacks are very devastating. So even a "bad choice" of the AI may be very threatening.

I've played countless sessions of Gears of War now, and I have to admit that the AI's turns are still not predictable and offer some nice surprises - and that's great! In my opinion, the AI is far better than I expected and even single-player-sessions feel very "lively" - at last, Gears of War is my favorite single-player-game (played with two ore three COGs, of course, not with only one as suggested by the rules).

Steve-O said:

I suppose that's reasonable, at the end of the day. But the enemies still put up a good fight after you've played enough to get the hang of the rules?

I can assure you that enemies put up a damned good fight every freakin' time. They have a good number of advantages over the COGs, and half of the time they're just brutally efficient in whittling down your hand of cards.

One thing to keep in mind is that the game balance is designed to be tilted in favor of the Locust horde. You can defeat them, but it's gonna be difficult, no matter what.

golem101 said:

One thing to keep in mind is that the game balance is designed to be tilted in favor of the Locust horde. You can defeat them, but it's gonna be difficult, no matter what.

Of course. Co-op games are generally slanted towards the AI since human players can learn and improve, but the AI can't. That was one of the things that had me curious about how the Gears AI worked, since it seemed to offer more in that regard than most co-op games.

Im really satisfied with the AI. Sometimes it does not do the best solution but even the "bad one" can make a lot if troube. Expansion already ordered, now waiting for the big one.. :)