Primer colours

By Attila3, in Dust Tactics

Sorry if this has been asked and answered (I couldn't find anything using a search) - but does anyone know if there is a perfect (or close to perfect) colour match for the pre-primed colours available at retail (e.g. a Vejello paint)?

I am a complete amateur painter looking to do some minor painting work on a few walkers (allied and axis) and would like to be able to fix up any minor errors on the primed areas without needing to basecoat the entire model.

Thanks

Using the old Citadel paints range, the Axis are a good match with the Adeptus Battlegrey foundation (slightly darker), while the Allies' closest paint is Catachan Green (slightly lighter).

Can't say the equivalent colors behaviour in the new range, though.

Hi Attila,

I was thinking about this recently too.

I don't know about Vallejo, but I've found Tamiya "NATO Green" (XF-67) to be almost identical to the Allies' primer color.

Haven't yet tried to match the Germans or SSU, though.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys - I will have a look at those suggestion. I am not wedded to Vejello paints, I have just heard good things about them and like their dropper style bottles - plus their ww2 focus with their flames of war association.

Tamiya may be a good option they have a number of spray colors that look close to the Dust colors, and I believe the Dust Studio guys are Tamiya fans, as I've seen Tamaiya models aroud the workshops at Dust Studios.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/category.php?sub-id=61800

As I have no allies models, are they the same primer as the SSU stuff. I would love to know which colour matches the SSU stuff, as I was going to do some alternative tanks using other kits, but want to matc the colour to the primer used, as I like the primer and will be using it for a my army.

I don't know of any primer to match the SSU colours, I bought Soviet Tank Green spray by Flames of War for all my SSU armour.

I've found Vallejo Model Colour Khaki 70.988 to be a pretty close match for SSU primer.

Thsnks, Will have to get some.