What to do when you encounter Smaug on the road?

By joec2, in The Hobbit Board Game

Here's a question I haven't seen asked here, and I can't find the answer in the rules…

When travelling on the fourth leg of the journey, we encountered this situation:

hobbit.jpg

So… What happens when Bilbo lands on the Smaug-filled space? The rules don't state anything on it. The only thing I found was on BoardGameGeek from someone who translated a French set of rules that stated the battle then takes place, skipping any further character advancement. If that's the case, why isn't it stated anywhere else?

Is that how it's supposed to be played? Help!

Is there anyone who can answer this question? Does the battle go to the final space? Do we just pass Smaug by? Do we count the space he's on? Do we move him aside and allow the Dwarves to get the assets underneath him?

I'd play as per the rules (English) I have, encountering Smaug does nothing, you wave to him as he flies by and continue drawing Event cards until you reach the Lonely Mountain space.

If you want an official answer, click the "Rules Questions" link at the bottom of the page (bit tough to see grey text on dark grey background, but it's there) and submit it to FFG.

Thanks for the input and the link! I've messaged them! Thanks!

Any reply from them yet?

Board Game Geek had someone say the Finnish version of the rules was like the French you start the adventure cards immediately. One comment which was meant to be tongue in check was - nothing happens as the Smaug can't see Bilbo because he's invisible. It does make sense even thematically with the book as Bilbo and the dwarves carried on after Smaug went to Laketown. They got have access and control of the Gold which is the endgame for this. Though in the books Smaugs death was the start of the Battle of 5 armies. I wonder if that somehow could be a Hobbit expansion?

I don't think anything happens. The "road" is abstract. Bilbo is simply that distance away from the mountain relative to Smaug's distance away from Laketown. They might be occupying the same place on the game board at a given time but this in no way implies that they are in the same actual physical location. At least that is my interpretation.

Edited by Thalin