Building fun, diverse, but balanced collection… Help?

By Neomaxim2, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

So i'm looking to expand some Dust Tactics/Warfare stuff as I got a beautiful pile of it for my birthday and now Christmas. We already love the game and I anticipate wanting a lot more.

My fiance and I will play primarily, so for now we want to buy in roughly equal AP costs.

We own…

Revised Core

1x Medium Walker for each side

1x Kommandtroupe/Boss (for each side)

1x Grim Reapers

1x Axis Zombies

Also,

1x Tile Set

1x Building accessory

So what would you guys buy with your next $100 - $200 purchases? Campaign books? Units (which?) Terrain?

Help a fan out… and happy holidays all!

The newer Medium walkers are pretty good for both sides, Wotan and the MCW M3, maybe the Heavy Command Squads? Heavy Walkers?

I would get more basic infantry. Hvy walkers and new walkers are good units but i would put them last on my list. To have fun with the game you need to upgrade it gradually, maybe some observers for more arty-fun?Tank Busters and Recon Grens would be nice as lone squads here.

What would the counterpart of tank busters be?

SeismicShock said:

What would the counterpart of tank busters be?

Heavy Laser Grenadiers?

OP: Tank Busters, Hero Packs, Spec Ops, Heavy Recon Grenadiers, Recon or Battle Grenadiers, Light Walkers, Cerberus, Seelowe

Edit: Monkeys are cool, but you'll want Markus. I'm just getting into Warfare, Snipers are good for long range suppression (just ordered 2nd set). You'll probably want Gunners/Battle Grenadiers if you're doing DW. You wanna have enough points to work up a few different lists. Check out the force builder to see what you may want/need.

http://builder.dust-war.com/

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but by all means, keep 'em coming.

We're looking to transition to Dust Warfare at some point as well, if that helps.

I've heard, particularly on the Warfare side of the game that the sniper units prove really valuable. Should I get one or two units per side?

What about odd-but-fun looking units like the gorillas?

Alright, so taking advantage of an absurd 50% off sale at a certain online game-shop I made a moderately big purchase with the thought being that we'd drip it into our games during the next couple months…

So I got these…

Dust Tactics: British Commandos Kill Squad
Dust Tactics: Axis Gorillas
Dust Tactics: Axis Hero Pack Expansion

Dust Tactics: Laser Grenadiers

Dust Tactics: Woten/Flammluther Walker

Dust Tactics: MCW M3 Walker

Dust Tactics: Operation Cerberus

Dust Tactics: Special Ops Grenadiers

Dust Tactics: Special Ops Rangers
Dust Tactics: Tank Busters

Dust Warfare: Core Rulebook

With these additions, we should be set for Tactics AND have a good cross-section for Dust Warfare right? The goal, eventually is to own about 400-500pts of all three factions, so we can do regular 300pt games with plenty of options.

you'll eventually need the DW expansion books for some of that, zverograd for the new walkers, hades has the commando squad. I don't know how urgent your need will be though

Well, my thought was that i'll end up buying the additional books as .pdf's on Wargamevault, or wherever, as having them handy on an iPad during play might be nice and save a little space/fiddly.

For the moment we're just playing Dust Tactics, as it'll be spring when we finally get our proper gaming table set up, will have purchased terrain, etc…

Unit wise, is anything lacking? My fiance plays Axis, but always feels weird playing the "bad guys", so she intentionally wanted to re-theme her army with as much fun/weird/different stuff as possible. As such, i'm thinking Zombies, Gorillas, and so forth are a good start.

I'd go for a few more S2 units. Gunners/Battle Grenadiers and Recon grenadiers are meat and potatoes of most of the Warfare lists I've seen. And Axis Recon Grenadiers are a Tactics steal at 16 points. Allies heroes are cool too. Action Jackson is the only hero you can combine with the Kill Squad. The Priest's agile + Hellboys/BBBQ is pretty fun too. And I love the Heinrich and Wildfire, I never leave home without 'em.

Man… these post-holiday sales are killing me… but I am instantly enamored with the world of Dust, and the game itself. Taking advantage of some deep, deep sales I just binged and bought these too…

Dust Warfare: Campaign Book Hades
Dust Warfare: Campaign Book Zverograd

Dust Tactics: BBQ Squad
Dust Tactics: Red Devils
Dust Tactics: Light Assault Walker
Dust Tactics: Heavy Recon Grenadiers
Dust Tactics: Heavy Kommandotrupp Expansion
Dust Tactics: Corps Officers Expansion

Dust Tactics: Battle Grenadiers
Dust Tactics: Allies Hero Pack

Basically, this means that barring the heavy walkers/transports, and a couple units, I own one of everything Axis and Allies. I suppose for completion it means it means i'm also missing three expansions (SeeLowe, Cyclone, Zverograd, Hades) for Tactics-side.

Were the Battle Grenadiers and BBQ Squad ok choices? They seem to be identical models to those in the Revised Core Starter…

I guess going forward through 2013 we may eventually buy SSU, but I imagine Warfare will require duplicate units once we find our favorites.

Thanks for the help all!

Redundancy never hurts, especially once you find a unit you particularly like. For my SSU I purchased 2 of every infantry unit.

Battle Grenadiers are different than the Sturmpioneres (flamer vs. schreck). BBBQ has one less flamer than Hellboys, but having both gives you an Assault Platoon for DW that can F S up. And having lots of stuff gives you some flexibility in list building.

Don't forget the BBQ squad has Demo Charges.

fhaugh said:

Don't forget the BBQ squad has Demo Charges.

I'm a noob to Dust Tactics. How do the Demo Charges work?