Becoming a Psyker

By BovineLord, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

But your basically saying the god of Fate and magic shouldn't have stronger psykers.

Nurgle and Slaanesh can have psykers iv played them before, it's very difficult I admit, but as long as you run unaligned for the talents, then when u get what u want drop extra xp into the god u actually want to worship. Nurgle is incredibly easy with the sound constitution. It's tier 1 and can be purchased multiple times, it wI'll cover anything u get from Tzeentch unless ur just not building correctly. It's going to cost more I agree but that doesn't make u any less of a psyker.

What we did was had a preprerequisite of 50 cp and a mark, from there we had a minor campaign that u would dedicate to a god to get his attention and ask for the gift of psyhood. For Slaanesh, filling urself and as many people u can with excess for a 6 weeks, for Nurgle the spreading of a plague on a hive world effectively turning them into plague zombies overy the course of 7 weeks. And then we gave Tzeentch's mark players a +2 to the already +1 so, +3 psy rating so they still feel like their devotion was worth it. These campaigns took a session each, and had other goals behind it for other players. The one who wanted the powers had to convince his warband to help him aND even had offered them favors. Everyone was happy.

Edited by DarthKaleashth

It also gives that edge to a starting psyker because a mark and 50cp won't be attained early on, so a dedicated psyker will remain top dog of pyskerness

In fluff, Sorcery and psychic powers are two very seperate things. Sorcery per se is never properly explained in any of the 40k RPG lines, though. It's basically been vaguely alluded to, and by now pretty much scrapped. Sorcery, however, requires absolutely zero psychic talent. All it requires is knowledge of how the warp interacts with the materium, and how to focus and force such interactions. In other words, you can become a sorcerer entirely without psy rating. What you need is Forbidden Lore (Warp) and Trade (Armourer) and a benevolent GM who knows his fluff.

A Chaos Space Marine Librarian who pledges his soul to Chaos becomes a Chaos Space Marine Sorcerer, and is gifted with new psychic powers by his patron god. It is not inappropriate to think of these powers as magical, for those who receive them come to think of themselves as Sorcerers with the unseen energy of the universe at their command.

- Chaos Codex 2e, 1996

Not the most recent source, I'll grant you, but sorcery=/=psyker powers is something you're going to need to cite if you want to make an argument from source material.

While Sorcery is separate from being a Psyker in Dark Heresy (where Sorcery rules exist), BC makes no functional destinction between the two. You can always just change the narrative, and have the character be a sorcerer, but use the psyker rules.

Sorcerers: The servants of Chaos have transcended such petty notions as the division between psychic power and sorcerous might; the techniques embodied by sorcery are covered by the normal Psychic Power rules in BLACKCRUSADE. Any DARK HERESY(or ROGUE TRADER) character with the Sorcery talent are treated as an Unbound Psyker of equivalent Psy Rating, with the Blasphemous Invocations talent.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Sorcerer

"The primary difference between a true Sorcerer and a standard psyker is that the former draws much of his power from dark rituals, daemonic pacts and unholy incantations which all draw to some extent on the power of Chaos. Even a person without any psychic gifts can become a powerful Sorcerer through the use of Warp lore, but this process is fraught with terrible dangers to both body and soul. Such Heretics constantly seek out additional sources of esoteric and forbidden information. They have studied a broad array of arcane knowledge, including xenos practices, legends, and secrets long thought lost. No targets or types of data may be off-limits. While Sorcerers are likely to favour arcane knowledge tied to the dark arts, they realise that the Ruinous Powers may have uses for seemingly mundane bits of data. Virtually any information is useful as it could be enough to persuade their sponsors within the Warp to empower them yet further. The notion of forbidden knowledge is anathema to these Heretics, as they know that their personal destinies transcend any mortal strictures."

Edited by Gridash

FYI, it's also on page 116 of DH: Disciples of the Dark Gods.

BC indeed doesn't really make that distinction sadly enough.

Edited by Gridash

Is it possible however that FFG wanted a more clear distinction between Psychic Powers and Sorcery and ended up creating the Rites and Rituals section on page 228 of the BC core rulebook instead?

I believe every rule supplement added to the list of possible rituals.

Edited by Gridash

The rituals are definitely sorcery, but in that they're chaos rituals and not the 'sorcery' mirroring psychic powers (i.e. being able to manifest powers in short order). Rituals take time.

Edited by BrotharTearer

What about god specific powers? Those aren't normal psychic powers.

So, I'd say do a ritual to summon a daemon, forge a pact for some of its power.

Get Psy Rating 1, and the possibility to buy god specific powers (depending on the nature of the daemon).

Increasing the psy rating might be more difficult however, might require more bargaining.

Edited by Gridash

Define "normal psychic powers". Non-aligned? Because god specific powers are definitely psychic powers. It's been established canon since at least 3rd edition codexes that worshippers of non-Khorne gods can use god specific psychic powers/sorcery (really, there's no real difference between them at this point).

I'm referring to the Psychic Powers found in the Telekinesis, Biomancy, Telepathy, Pyromancy and Divination groups.

So when I referred to "normal" Psychic Powers, I meant non-god specific powers.

When a Psyker uses his link to the warp to manipulate the material universe, he uses the warp in general. The chaos gods are manifestations within the warp, using their specific psychic power can perhaps be deemed a form of sorcery?

So if that's the case, then we do have normal psychic powers and sorcery in BC.

To use sorcery as a non-Psyker, he'll have to use rituals and/or make a pact with a daemon for its power I'd say.

Edited by Gridash

Psychic powers for worshippers of a specific god are psychic powers (and refered to as that in codexes). And that's that.

Yes, they are Psychic powers, but only Sorcerers can use them since you need to be aligned with a chaos god before you can use them and you lose them when you use lose said alignment.

Let me quote something on page 212 of the BC core rulebook:

"Many sorcerers and wyrds had some training in the use
of psychic powers before their rebirth as servants of the Dark
Gods, and while they may forsake those teachings during their
awakening, remnants of that training linger, to be joined by the
divinely-inspired powers granted to them by their new masters ."
And the book continues with the Unaligned and god based powers.
Notice how they use "Sorcerer" in every description of the individual god powers listed and "Psyker" when dealing with the non-god based powers.

And again from that wiki page:

"The primary difference between a true Sorcerer and a standard psyker is that the former draws much of his power from dark rituals, daemonic pacts and unholy incantations which all draw to some extent on the power of Chaos. "

So there you go, using Chaos God specific powers (including Unaligned/Exalted powers) is a form of Sorcery. So in fact BC already had Sorcery from the get-go.

And that's that.

I'm not complaining about how FFG handled this, but if you insist on having characters being able to use Sorcery/Chaos God based Psychic Powers without having have a Psy Rating and not dealing with rituals, you can just add a talent that does so. Base it on Forbidden Lore and Intelligence to give something similiar to a Psy Rating. (like half your Intelligence Bonus rounded up with Forbidden Lore (Daemonology) as a prerequisite). Or just summon a powerful daemon and make a pact.

Edited by Gridash

The only issue here is terminology. "Sorcerer" is mainly used to refer to CSM Sorcerers, but it's also used to refer to chaos psykers of different persuasions (both CSM Sorcerers and human psykers called "Sorcerer-Kings" for example). Also note how the psyker referenced in all psychic power descriptions is "Sorcerer". It's just a blanket term at this point for all chaos psykers. Any conflicts is due to inconsistencies between different writers. You really shouldn't read too much into it.

Besides: " The servants of Chaos have transcended such petty notions as the division between psychic power and sorcerous might":

Edited by BrotharTearer

It all seems clear to me, so use whatever you like in your games.

The only issue here is terminology. "Sorcerer" is mainly used to refer to CSM Sorcerers, but it's also used to refer to chaos psykers of different persuasions (both CSM Sorcerers and human psykers called "Sorcerer-Kings" for example). Also note how the psyker referenced in all psychic power descriptions is "Sorcerer". It's just a blanket term at this point for all chaos psykers. Any conflicts is due to inconsistencies between different writers. You really shouldn't read too much into it.

Besides: " The servants of Chaos have transcended such petty notions as the division between psychic power and sorcerous might":

A Sorcerer is somebody who uses Sorcery. Sorcery are Psychic Powers, granted by the Chaos Gods. Hence like I said before that in all the descriptions of the Chaos based Psychic Power "Sorcerer is used" and "Psyker" only with the non-Chaos god based powers. I double checked, they aren't used interchangeably, there is a clear distinction in the book.

As for that quote, it just means that from the viewpoint of a servant of chaos, the line between sorcery and non-sorcery psychic powers is irrelevant. An imperial sanctioned Psyker will think otherwise though. To smooth things out, they went with the assumption that all Sorcerers are also Psykers, thus using the Psychic system. Ofcourse, if you read the fluff or played DH1, you know that a Sorcerer doesn't necessary have to be a Psyker. Is it a balance thing? Possibly, but you can easily houserule it to some talent so that a non-Psyker can use Sorcery.

Yes, a Sorcerer can also be a CSM class and the term also applies to human Psykers using Sorcery, making them sorcerers in a sense as well. It was derived from tabletop, if it wasn't the case then FFG most likely wouldn't have used that name for CSM Psykers to avoid confusion.

Edited by Gridash

I seem to remember that there is a drug that can give a psyrating for a short time. I guess you could hook up an injector system to constantly pump it into your character.