Greetings! A new player's thoughts on Dust.

By Foolish Frost, in Dust Warfare General Discussion

Hullo all!

While most people call me Foolish, I used to be called TheFool1972 over on EN world. Actually, over there, I still am…

First, I would like to offer some comments on why I chose dust over the current 300lb gorrilla in the room, better known as warhammer.

• Reason number one is price. After looking at the $99 starter set for Warhammer 20k, then the prices for every set of units and vehicles, AND combining this with the cost of codex books for each army, I figured the entry cost for two armies to be at least $300. After thatm it starts to get expensive. Dust has a reasonable entry cost of $79 for the box, plus $40 for hte book, and… That's it. It has expansions, but those cost around $20-$30 each, either for the books or units. Some tanks cost a bit more, but like I said, average. Lower cost is a REALLY favorable selling point.
  • Nazi zombies. Seriously. What else needs to be said?
  • After having two people tell me why I would be a fool to play anything other than warhammer 20k, and that if I didn't play their factions, I was an even bigger fool, and then watching it devolve into a fight… Yeah. Nuff said. The local dust players, on the other hand, said "It's cool. Easy rules, you can learn it in a day. Cheap too. Want to play?" <raises an eyebrow> Pretty much sold me right there.
  • Nazi Apemen. C'mon. Say it with me. "Zombie APEMEN!"
  • A Wierd World War II setting is much easier to mentally capture for new players. Compare to trying to explain the nuances of the half dozen factions of Warhammer 20k…
  • Terrain fixtures are easier to get due to the above mentioned reason… You know, WWII? Tons of refs? Easy to build from scratch?

Anyway… I just got the hardback about a week ago, and grabbed the basic set as well. I thought I would give some of my starting opinions I've run into while getting ready for play.

• Hardback should mention that the Dust Tactics starting set armies are NOT balanced for Dust Warfare play. Axis has 20 more army points than the allies. While you can just give advantages to the allies, still not optimal. I bought another unit of recon boys to fill out the allies (all the store had, really, at the time).
  • Takes a bit of work to realize that you have to build your sides based on some very arbitrary rules on command structure, and not just point scales. Was new to me. I thought I would just buy tanks and troops until the point scale was ready ansd run with it. Nope. Gotta use the unity sets they advise for hte first few sets. Command and first support unit. No biggie, I guess.
  • I needed terrain fixtures, and cardboard squares really seemed kinda… Sad…

Okay, I have armies, so i went out and grabbed some things.

• Green terrain mat. the kind with the rough green surface. 3'x5'. Looks nice for a start. No hills yet, though.
  • Tone of craft wood. You know the stuff, tongue depressers, pop sticks, dowel rods, things like that.
  • Sculpty clay. Nice stuff.
  • Hotglue gun, rubber cement, and white cloth glue. The white glue works just like elmers, but is water-resistant after it dries. Love that stuff.
  • Dremel I already had. Was VERY useful.
  • Small rocks, sand, tiny gravel, and green flocking (or fake grass)
  • Thin wire.
  • And a half ton of other small items…

Over the last few days, I've been building barb wire fences, wood fences, barracades, telephone/electric poles, tokens for vehicle damage, and sandbag walls. Tons of them. Seems when motivated, you can build a lot of terrain in a short time.

Maybe some time soon, I'll actually play a round of the game… <rolls eyes>

Welcome to the game! Glad to have more players!

I've been going crazy making terrain lately as well!

Insulation foam ftw! Also some tree bark and spackle work wonders!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/304747/zuggzugg

Welcome indeed!

You may wish to check out Dust-War.com for more Dust Warfare content.

:D

Welcome to Dust, the marvelous game that is inexpensive, easy to learn yet hard to master, which has a great core mechanic rules and, above all, is actually FUN to play.

Ok, it doesn´t have Space Marines :P , but still beats the crap out of 40K, at least for me.

Price-point good. Rules good (not perfect, but pretty good). Game-play excellent. Some modelling could use some work (seems that there are sculptors working in two slightly different scales; they need to coordinate their model sizes more and settle on one scale). Game support somewhat sporadic, but FFG is one over-loaded-with-work company! And Dust Studios seems to have a separate agenda (understandable, under the circumstances).

Oh, and painting WWII uniform schemes so way beats the 40K colors for ease of painting.

Yeah, already been to http://dust-warfare.net/

And found the pdf mag.

And also http://www.dustgame.com/ (that's where I ordered my extra dice, now we have 21! Woot!)

Finally got enough terrain done, when added to some other things we had. The cover cards from tactics, a nice foxhole from D&D4e, and a $4 building from a craft store made of hard cardboard.

All of this is basic craft sticks, shoepolish, and glue. Very little paint, except for highlighting and tiny touchup areas.

https://plus.google.com/photos/103439257730706619609/albums/5824523038991371905

Amazing how much you can get done in a few days when you're motivated.

Hey, Foolish Frost, welcome to Dust!

I agree with you on the price aspect. If I need another box of zombies (which I do, actually, for a list I'm currently brewing), it's £9 out of my wallet. You can spend more on lunch here in London! Also, the PDF versions of the books are incredibly affordable; I can have the paper books at home, and the PDFs on my phone. If I need terrain, it's mainly WW2 with a touch of sci-fi, not hard at all to find. Dust is generally just an easy-going kind of system. :)

Oh, I hope you don't mind, but I noticed you're on G+ from the photo album link, so I've invited you to the Dust Warfare community over there (which reminds me, must post more on there).

Well, just spent a few hours painting the troops.

https://plus.google.com/photos/103439257730706619609/albums/5824523038991371905

Decided to go with easilly noted colors for weapons to keep track of who has what, and marked the shoulders of commanders with either red or blue. Also marked command unit's bases so you can tell a command unit at a glance.

And some nice metallic paints for goggles. Silver for the allies, and axis gets a rich gold.

Also painted the Heavy Laser Grenadiers power packs silver, with the grills on them filled with a deep red. Makes them look like they're glowing.

Still have more detail work to do, but I'm going to leave as much of the base grey/green color as possible. Add too much detail, and you lose the ability to ID each side easilly.