The Capital Wasteland Horror (a Fallout-themed stand alone expansion) Update: Board added

By Guest, in Fan Creations

kroen said:

Alright, I followed you advices, made some adjustments, added a few things and here's the result:

expansion1.th.jpg

Stalking monsters rules:
When Stalking (purple) monsters move, they move to the nearest investigator in a location or a street area adjacent to them.
If there's moe than one investigator near them, they move to the one with the least Sneak value.
In case of a tie, the first player decides.
In no investigator is adjacent to a stalking monster while it moves, it moves to the Stalking special location.
The Stalking special location is considered to be adjacent to ALL locations and streets.
When more than one stalking monster move from the Stalking special location,
one moves to the investigator with the least sneak,
the second moves to the investigator with the second least sneak, and so on and so forth.

Vortex rules:
When a monster moves to a vortex, move it to the Vortex special location. It no longer counts for the monster limit.
When the terror level rises, all the monsters in the Vortex special location are returned to the cup,
and a number of doom tracks are added to the ancient one's doom track
equal to half the monsters returned to the cup this way, rounded up.
Investigators can move into vortexes. If an investigator does, put him in the Vortex special location.
Then, that investigator must choose to fight or flee of each of the monsters.
Whenever an investigator kills a monster in the Vortex, he gains a clue token,
In an investigator is knocked unconcious or is driven insane while in the Vorte, he is lost in time and space.
In the capital encounters phase, if the investigator is still in the vortex,
he moves to any stree or location in the capital wasteland, have an encounter there, and is delayed.

Those are some really cool mechanics, especially the vortex one.

If you want the Terror Track colors to come in a bit better, you can make a much larger picture and "fill" it with a color you snagged from one of the neighborhood location rim picts. Then when you make the Terror Track token, the excess area will get cut off and the color will go all the way to the edge.

-Frank

Finished the investigators.

Here's a few:

carddeck1.th.jpg

The Investigators aren't showing up, at least for me.

Another thing you should consider is fairness , which I admit is a weird thing to discuss in terms of Arkham Horror. Right now you have a number of Vortices that are literally one movement from an Unstable Location. What that means is that if you place a gate on that location with a monster that moves on the same Mythos Card, that it will be placed and consumed by the vortex on the same turn - thereby preventing any of the players from even theoretically being able to stop it. Even if they were on the location in question they'd be dragged through the gate and the monster would then walk into the vortex - with no player movement in between. I would suggest putting all such vortices as coming from Street Locations, so you have one turn to stop an enemy before it gets away.

In other news: I have 89 Location Encounters done. They... take a while to do and I had a bunch of kidney research to do today.

-Frank

Are you sure? they're showing up for me. Try this: img4.imageshack.us/img4/4302/carddeck1.jpg

The problem I have with connecting the vortexes to streets, is that one color arrow will need to be in the direction of the vortex, which leavs me with only one arrow that actually leaves the street to another street, and I need two...

And players do have a good chance of stopping the effect of the vortex: As I said, they can get into the vortex themselves and fight the monsters. The negativ effect of the vortex only activates when the terror level rises. If players play right, the terror level should almost never rise unless it's from a mythis card. either way, they do have atleast one turn to get into the vortex and fight the monsters off. I think it's pretty balanced.

Update: Finished the monsters.

OK, now they are up. Can Violet really send encouter cards back to the box? That's a really weird power, where she apparently makes the world a safer place for everyone. I hope you don't have a South Church equivalent or Violet will just camp it until the encounter where you can remove a Doom Token is the only one out of the box and then the Investigators will never leave. In general it seems like she should have the same mechanics as the Streetwise character since it is basically the same power.

Regardless, you don't have to have to have all the locations be symmetrical. Just because a location has a black arrow out doesn't mean it has to have a white arrow in. It would be entirely reasonable for you to have the Black arrow from Riverside East and the White Arrow from Megaton connect to vortices. One-way monster movement is completely OK. Even good. You are basing that to som extent upon Dunwich, and the Backwoods County works exactly like that:

dunwichhorror.jpg

oops, I meant to shuffle it into the deck, not return to the box.. will change it.

either way, I still believe the vortexes are balanced because of what I said in my previous post.

here's my first ancient one and a taste of two monsters: img159.imageshack.us/img159/4302/carddeck1.jpg

kroen said:

either way, I still believe the vortexes are balanced because of what I said in my previous post.

The order of operations is:

1. Gate
  2. Movement
  3. Text

So if the Mythos flips over and a monster comes out, and then moves, and then the actual text raises the terror level (up to and including the famous "2 monsters released into the streets), then the vortex gets a monster and eats it from beginning to end between the turns of the players. That sounds incredibly frustrating.

And that's even before we get into the fact that the vortexes are at the end of a blind alley and thus the players have only one possible way into (which if it is blocked by a Cultist or Rat Thing equivalent means that you're boned).

-Frank

****, you're good at arguments :(

I'll see what I can do.

Here's the new board:

img213.imageshack.us/img213/4277/expansion1.jpg

And everything I have so far: (obviously some items have duplicates but no point of uploading the same card more than once. not until the expansion is finished atleast)

(p.s. now, finally, all the items are fully readable)

img24.imageshack.us/img24/4302/carddeck1.jpg common

img262.imageshack.us/img262/4302/carddeck1.jpg unique

img171.imageshack.us/img171/4302/carddeck1.jpg spell

img530.imageshack.us/img530/4302/carddeck1.jpg skill

img6.imageshack.us/img6/4302/carddeck1.jpg ally

img522.imageshack.us/img522/4302/carddeck1.jpg investigators

img26.imageshack.us/img26/4302/carddeck1.jpg monsters

img15.imageshack.us/img15/4302/carddeck1.jpg anciet ones

img220.imageshack.us/img220/2056/3333o.jpg special (edit: the words "magical" should be "energy". editing now)

criticism is always welcome

Just looked over the GOOs and I must say that Wrymn is simply awesome. I'll look through everything else when I have more time.

Thx.

Update: Working on mythos cards

Update: The Metro Stations are no longer unstable locations. They're now yellow locations, meaning that mythos cards will never open a gate in them, however monsters and gates can appear via locations cards.

Update: A few movement arrows on the map have changed to grant wider access to the vortexes.

That Sniper Rifle is deeply uninspiring. With what it currently does it appears to be worth about 2 dollars. The vast majority of the time it doesn't remove the monster from the board - it just makes you fight it. Which since they start in another space is a lot like getting an extra movement point. But it costs a movement point to use. Even when it does remove a monster, which is so rarely that it might never happen in a whole game, it only sends them to the cup - not to your trophy pile. It's not ven a weapon, and doesn't help you in the vast majority of cases. The only time it's good for anything is when you want to fight two Monsters at the same time that are in adjacent spaces during your movement phase and you have extra movement.

That's a pretty obscure condition honestly. And there's no way I'd pay $8 for it.

-Frank

Nice work on the map. At least now I know where the alien crash site is in Fallout 3. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Looks stunning. Some of the monsters look a little spartan without a description. For example, Vicious Dog could read:

...packs of dogs assaulting the glass fronts of Love Me Avenue, ripping and re-wrapping mink and shiny silver fox...

Diamond Dogs, David Bowie.

I'm sorry guys, but I have decided to terminate this expansion.

I have found that it is way too similar to the base game. Infact, it's almost EXACTLY like the base game only with different theme.

I will now return to the expansion I have started working on on the old forums- The Sea of Horror expansion (small board, requires base agme) which I believe to be much, much more original than this. The board consist of several islands, reachable from River Docks by paying 1$ to take a ship or actually buying a ship. A new type of monster is in it: the Sea monsters. There will also be more original perks such as streets in Arkham that become flooded if certain something happens, and a Treasure Deck with a whole new type of weapons- the Rusty Weapons. They don't count as physical nor magical, but the drawback is that they have Stability . Each turn you they're in your possession put a Rust token on them, and they fully rust (each weapon has different stability, like stability 3, stability 5, etc.) they're discarded.

Stay tuned, as I'll be starting a thread for this expansion soon.