Doomsword and Poisoned Dagger

By allawi, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hi all,

today this happened. The Warrior had two weapons, The Doomsword and The Poison Dagger. It seems their abilities contradict each-other.

The Doomsword: Add 3 to your Strength during Battle. If you roll a 1 for your attack roll, you are automatically deafeated regardless of your Attack Score.

Poisoned Dagger: Add 1 to your Strength during Battle. If you roll a 1 for your attack roll during Battle, you may roll an additional die and add the result to your attack score.

So our question is: Does the Poisoned Dagger negate the negative effect of The Doomsword? Or will the Warrior lose the Battle once he roll a 1 as stated on the Doomsword?

regards

Allawi

I'd say you could say well, I can roll another die for PD's ability, but since you rolled a 1, DS's ability also kicks in and you lose. Don't forget of course the Warrior gets to roll 2 dice and pick, so barring snake-eyes, he probably isn't picking the 1.

allawi said:

So our question is: Does the Poisoned Dagger negate the negative effect of The Doomsword? Or will the Warrior lose the Battle once he roll a 1 as stated on the Doomsword?

No, it doesn't. Both effects are triggered at the same time by the result of a die roll. If you roll 1, the Poisoned Dagger allows you to roll an additional die and add the result to your combat score, but at the same time the Doomsword makes you lose. The Poisoned Dagger is not making you roll 2 dice AT THE SAME TIME, that's the trick.

As Dam says, only the Warrior may experience this and only if he rolls 1 on BOTH dice when determining the first combat score.

**** I came here to check what if the warrior has got the doomsword ? but it looks like there is no problem thanks to his godlike ability ==> warrior + doomsword just wow.. what could complete such an already fat character in second hand ?

On 12/15/2012 at 4:33 PM, Dam the Man said:

I'd say you could say well, I can roll another die for PD's ability, but since you rolled a 1, DS's ability also kicks in and you lose. Don't forget of course the Warrior gets to roll 2 dice and pick, so barring snake-eyes, he probably isn't picking the 1.

Warrior gets to pick which die he uses, but he stilled rolled a 1 and he still lost.

The Warrior card says:

So you can either choose to roll 1 die, or roll 2 and use the highest result.

Edited by Neil 666